Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #1
Newyork82
Registered Users

Beginner Vegetarial Cook Book/Sushi how-to?

welllll...we got some shocking news for my 29yr old, 6'1, 220 fit husband...he has high blood pressure/bad cholesterol......I/We never thought it would be him. I figured it would be me to get bad health news first since Im 25, 5'8 and pushing 250lbs

So hes committed as am I..not more fatty foods, and we as a family are gonna go work out.

Can you recommend a good vegetarian cookbook? Some recipes that use tofu/mashed beans as meat subs?? We already love all things healthy and fresh...but cant really find any recipes so we always resort to other things...fried porkchops,mashed potatoes, etc..the "normal" dinner...and frankly im sick of it too...no variety.

OH and we BOTH LOVE SUSHI...any idea how/varieties to make at home?? We tried at home before and it was a huge mess.

Advertisement

Newyork82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Beginner Vegetarial Cook Book/Sushi how-to?

Sorry Im no help, but Id love to know how to make sushi too. DH likes meat in his, I just like vegatable sushi. My commissary makes sushi, so I always buy me a pack.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:33 AM   #3
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

I'm a vegetarian and for meal ideas, I can usually fry (in barely any oil and a nonstick pan) some meat alternatives such as Morningstar brand (green packaging) chicken or steak strips, chicken patties, ground beef, etc. and incorporate them into a meal that normally has meat in it such as tacos, chicken parm, fajitas, pasta w/ meat sauce, etc. We often bake the chicken patties b/c we like them crispy, though. As for tofu and mashed beans, I don't really use them. The vegan restaurant near me will fry (you could probably do this w/o too much oil, it doesn't taste greasy AT ALL) tofu slabs then make them into sandwiches with fresh, grated carrots, lettuce, bread and fake mayo. They're much tastier than they sound. Also, even though I'm not really a fan (I don't like real scrambled eggs really, either), a lot of people like making tofu scrambled eggs style. As for sushi, I also suck at it as I have a hard time rolling them tight enough, but my friend makes sushi a lot (vegetable kind so no fear of eating tainted, uncooked seafood) and it's delicious. Good luck and pm me if I can help any more.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
veganf
Registered Users

My Mood:

To learn about sushi and japanese foods:
http://japanesefood.about.com/od/sus...r_Beginner.htm

But to lower bad cholesterol, the best thing to do is to lower over all fat intake, omit or severely limit saturated fat (1g or less per serving), and increase exercise! And make sure you are getting at least a daily source of omega-3 fatty acids, vegetarian or not; milled flax seeds sprinkled on cereal, sauce, etc is an easy way.

There are tons of veg cookbooks out there, and probably just as many online recipe sites now. Just Google your favourite foods and the words recipe and the word vegetarian or vegan (to cut out the saturated fat in dairy and cholesterol in eggs). Or browse any veg recipe website for ideas. Or go to the library and check out a bunch of veg cookbooks and try a few.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
MCmom3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post

But to lower bad cholesterol, the best thing to do is to lower over all fat intake, omit or severely limit saturated fat (1g or less per serving), and increase exercise! And make sure you are getting at least a daily source of omega-3 fatty acids, vegetarian or not; milled flax seeds sprinkled on cereal, sauce, etc is an easy way.
So sorry about the news! I agree with the above post. I was diagnosed with VERY high cholesterol at 23 (my total was 350 and I don't even spend much time thinking about my bad cholesterol numbers - genetic). I went to see a nutritionist and I'm not supposed to eat any more than 13g of saturated fat each day (so keep those sat fat servings down!). One rule of thumb they taught me for fats - if it's solid at room temperature its a no no (i.e. butter, shortening, etc...). If it's liquid at room temp it is probably ok in moderation (i.e. olive oil). Also look into switching to smart balance margarine if you need to use a butter spread (I even cook with this - it turns to liquid if left at room temp). Garlic is also supposed to help reduce cholesterol - so pile it on!

Eating a lot of fish/sushi did help increase my good cholesterol (my DH LOVES sushi and introduced me to it). We make our own at home as well. It has taken a LOT of practice, but we are getting better and better and it's starting to taste like the real think from a restaurant. The key is to buy sushi grade fish (or very very fresh fish from a source that you trust) or stick with veggie sushi. Read up on the internet how to make the sushi rice (it's not too hard) and see if you can find the sushi rice seasoning. If not, there are recipes on the internet for making your own (rice vinegar, sugar, and salt I think...). Try not to overfill your roll and buy a sushi mat/kit to help with the rolling. I find if you roll your sushi and then place a piece of saran wrap over the top and use the sushi mat to squeeze the roll tight, it holds. Use a very sharp knife that is slightly wet to slice the roll. Go to a bookstore like barnes and noble and study the book to pick up some techniques (no need to buy the book). Good luck and have fun! I love to experiment with sushi at home.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
elleystar
Registered Users
seller

I use this book when I make sushi, and it never lets me down!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

It has the best recipe for rice vinegar and sushi rice! Also light miso soups which you might find helpful. It makes sushi-making seems really simple and do-able. Have fun!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
ttachuk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just have general vegetarian cookbooks that have maybe one chapter on tofu dishes and one chapter on bean dishes. I know there are some cookbooks that are totally dedicated to tofu. DH doesn't like tofu so we don't use it a lot.

For general vegetarian cookbooks I have really liked the ones by Nava Atlas: messy link-
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=chrisficti-20&creative=9325&path=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nava+atlas[/url]

They are easy to make, ingredients are easy to find (local grocery store) and they taste good without being too out there that the kids won't touch it.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
Newyork82
Registered Users

great! Thanks for all the links!! DH liked the tacos we did the other night, I did black beans in place of the meat, then layered the salsa( low sodium) tomatoes, lettuce, and soy cheese. He said they were way better, and more flavorul than normal!
Newyork82 is offline   Reply With Quote