Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: share your fave veggie meal

Dh isn't a big fan of "American food" so I make a ton of Asian/Indian stuff: Curry, daal, channa masala, stir fry, marinated tofu, we also love sweet potato fries and make them as a side probably at least once a week.

Right now we are unemployed, so most of our food has consisted of some kind of bean with some kind of rice (I cook massive amounts of dried beans at a time, then store them in the freezer in zip lock baggies for quick/ cheap meals.

My 'don't know what to make tonight' remedy is usually as soup consisting of whatever veggies/ beans and or grain laying around.

Mom to Kaylum 14 mo, wife to Kylan. blog.
arya_ishaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by rhettsgirl05 View Post
Made this the other night and it was DIVINE! I've been eating the leftover polenta stuffing with crackers!
That looks like it might be rather tasty. Going to the store today to buy the ingredients.
A very blessed wife to a hardworking and devoted husband and father and SAHM to 4 beautiful, loving, determined, kindhearted, and loud boys. And one lil' girl on the way!
Lovefam6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

We are vegan and my favorite comfy food is sooo easy:

In a large wok take whole pieces garlic we like a lot I use like 20 (or chop them up if you prefer) and lightly fry them in EVO or whatever oil you use.... add mushrooms, squash or whatever you have on hand. Wait a few mins til everything is soft add a whole bag of spinich and let it all fry up nice and soft. In the mean time take some toast or rolls or whatever bread you want to make your sandwichs with add some veganaise then add you veggie mix and enjoy....

It is soooo creamy and rich and REALLY good for you!!!!!!! No salt or seasoning added.....
The Crunchy Kitchen
Recipes for those allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts,
cashews, sunflower seeds and/or sesame seeds.
CrunchyMamaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

Thought I would add my favorite veggie suggestions:

veggie quiche and salad
any type of veggie soup and grilled cheese

I also love this recipe from Everyday Food that uses red and black beans with polenta...

Also, I really love my Moosewood Cafe cookbook, but tend to kick up the spices and garlic a notch.

Happy Cooking!
oherin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

Sweet potato burritos are a new addiction around here.
Single mommy to a , a , and an angel.
CourtCourt's greenhorn BAMBOO POCKET INSERTS greenhorn on HC
I buy my bamboo at First Gear on HC Testing Quick-Dry Bamboo Prefolds!
Stocking at on 12/29!
CourtCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:

We have quite a few faves here. Our most recent find are Chickpee Cakes- a hit with my picky kids and DH. And my meat-eating dad loved them too. Could easily substitute as "chicken fingers" or a burger patty. It does have egg in it but you could use egg replacer if you are vegan.

Makes about 14 silver-dollar sized cakes:

10 Baby Carrots (or 2 large carrots)
1/2 cup cooked sweet potato (I used frozen)
15 oz chickpees
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
1 tsp kosher salt
veggie oil for frying

Preheat oven to 270F. Pretty much just throw everything in a food processor and combine until texture of meatball or meatloaf mixture. Heat oil in skillet. When hot enough to fry use spoonful to drop into oil and flatten into "pancakes" with back of spoon. Cook until golden on both sides. Then put in oven to finish cooking for about 10 minutes.

I topped mine with cheese and baked an additional few minutes until cheese was melted. Recipe recommends using ketchup or BBQ sauce as a dip. Also says you could add garlic or onion to mixture before frying. After trying them you would probably find that you could spice them in avariety of ways.

Because it was for an xmas dinner I used x-mas cookie cutters in the frying pan as a mold to shape them as trees, snowflakes and gingerbread men.
Mom to Bump (6), Bud (4), and Dan Dan (1).
ttachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 PM   #17
Registered Users
My Mood:

Veggie baked potatoes! Basically baked potatoes topped with steamed broccoli and cauliflower, cheese, chopped fresh tomato and a few chopped olives, salt and pepper...yum! I could eat these at least 4x a week! We also like veggie chili over jasmine rice.
mollyscottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #18
Registered Users

An easy winter staple in our house...

Curried Lentils with Root Veggies

1 medium yellow onion, diced small
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large or 2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" dice
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" rounds
1 can of diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup dried red lentils
water or veggie stock
Patak's Indian curry paste, to taste

In a large pan over medium heat, saute the onion in a little vegetable oil until translucent. Add garlic and a dollop of the curry paste. Once the paste starts to melt into the onions and turn fragrant, add the potatoes and carrots and toss to coat them with the spices. Dump in the tomatoes and lentils and add enough water or stock to cover everything. Keep a bit of water handy, because you may need to add a bit during the cooking to keep things moist. Turn heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and carrots are softened. Taste for seasoning about 5 minutes before serving and add salt, pepper, or a bit more curry paste, to taste.

Serves 3 or 4....or double the batch because the leftovers are awesome.

You can make this really wet and call it a soup or let it get thick and call it a stew. Both versions are equally lovely. I usually make the thick version and spoon it over brown rice.

Oh, and the Patak's Curry Paste is an Indian spice/oil mixture that's sold in most larger grocery stores and at World Market. I prefer to use the "mild" because then I can use much more of it. But the "medium" or "hot" versions will work, if that's all you can find (or if you like REALLY spicy food). Also, you could probably substitute a regular powdered Indian curry blend....just be sure to add more oil at the beginning to make sure the veggies all get a good coating.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote