Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
momma2Mimi07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Oregon Mommas... I have some Q?s for ya!

Okay DF and I are considering relocating due to minimal Jobs here in good ol michigan DF is also looking into going to University of Oregon... My questions are:

1. Rent... What is the average rent for a 2 bedroom one bathroom appartment or home?

2. Weather... How hot and how cold?

3. Activities... What kind of things are there to do?

4. Jobs... How is the job market?

Thank you SO much for all your help, Chasity

Advertisement

Expecting Sweet Baby#3 in Early May
momma2Mimi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
spacecat1974
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Oregon Mommas... I have some Q?s for ya!

1. Rent... What is the average rent for a 2 bedroom one bathroom appartment or home?

Apartment you're looking at around 800/month, give or take depending on the neighborhood. Houses are a bit more. DO NOT TRY TO MOVE IN THE WINTER!!! I can't stress that enough. We got stuck in a house that is costing us $1300/month because it was the ONLY house available when we were searching last February. Best time is in the spring, around April.

It can get pretty warm in the summer but usually doesn't get below the forties in winter. These past two weeks notwithstanding.

LOTS of stuff. Zoo, museums, parks....

Not that great. There are jobs to be had but finding one that pays decent is hard. Definitely either get your DH into the University of Oregon or get a job *before* moving out here. Otherwise make sure you have a good stash of cash to help you get through. Long distance house hunting is problematic.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm out of the loop on this because we have owned our house for a while.
It is never humid here. It is like a little slice of heaven with no humidity. The summer hot is 90's. Sometimes we will get several days a summer at 100. But usually it is 70's and 80's. The fall is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Super nice weather. The spring is warmer but lots of rain. We have a joke about summer not actually starting until the 4th of July. The winters are usually mild. This month and year has been wierd, but normally we get a little snow once or maybe twice a year down to the valley floor. Lots of snow in the mountains.

Oregon in general is very outdoorsie. Lots of parks.
Not sure - I'm a teacher when I'm not at home so no lack of jobs for me

Oregon is general is a great place to live. I have been here for sixteen years (since college) but I love it.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
robinbird
Registered Users

Okay DF and I are considering relocating due to minimal Jobs here in good ol michigan DF is also looking into going to University of Oregon... My questions are:

Depends where you want to live. If you live in Portland proper, rent will be more expensive. Outside of the city of Portland, you can probably find a decent place to live for between $800 - $1000. In town it will be more. In Eugene, it'll depend on when you move.

Perfect Well... perfect for me, anyway. Between July and October is the summer. August and September can get pretty warm - sometimes the 90s. A few days that hit 100. Most of the time in the high 70s to mid 80s.

Fall is GORGEOUS!!! Winter runs from early/mid November through April when it pretty much rains all the time. There might be a few days of snow in January, but that's about it. This year is pretty out of the ordinary with our 2 weeks of snow.

Lots of parks, hiking opportunities, the beach, mountains to ski on. There's the zoo, the Children's Museum, OMSI...

It's pretty bad. Getting a job here really is based upon networking and who you know. If you know the right people and have the right connections in your field, jobs can be found. Otherwise the pool is pretty narrow.