Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Katelyn'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

Exclamation Yamo Baby Carriers?

Has anyone ever tried one of these????? I'm leaning towards this but I would love some feedback. TIA!!!

Help! Im going crazy here trying to decide!!!! OK--I really am not too familiar with either one of these carriers. I have a Bjorn that I love and an unpadded sling. I'm thinking a semi structured carrier is the way to go as DD gets bigger cuz it is easy enough for DH and I just think DD feels more secure in the Bjorn. I love the fact that they can be carried on the back, front or hip with all 3. I have heard great things about all of them but I was wondering if anyone has tried all 3? I would like a full critique--the good, the bad and the ugly. My only opinion so far is that the Beco looks pretty bulky...? Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by Katelyn'sMomma; 01-01-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Katelyn'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
apelilae
Registered Users

Re: Baby Carriers---Beco, Yamo or Ergo?!??!?!

I have an Ergo and my Beco should be coming next week. The Ergo is not really that comfortable on me. I'm short and short waisted which I think makes a differece (another mommy in my AP playgroup said that). Other mommies I know LOVE their Ergo, but I think the Ergo is bulky. I'm lovin my mei tai right now. I got the Beco for my DH who's tired of wearing a pink mei tai. If you haven't make your mind up by the time I get by Beco, I'll give you a full review.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
MomtoA,B&T
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have used my friends Ergo and Loved it!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
Katelyn'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by apelilae View Post
I have an Ergo and my Beco should be coming next week. The Ergo is not really that comfortable on me. I'm short and short waisted which I think makes a differece (another mommy in my AP playgroup said that).
Good to know! I am also short (5'3") and have a relatively short torso. Maybe this wouldnt be a good fit for me either? I have never tried a mei tai but maybe I should? Are they difficult to put on? Is it hard to get a babe on your back because that is why I really need someting more than my Bjorn. I dont like anything that needs alot of adjusting to make it fit right. I am looking for something to use for housework, horseback riding, walking, gardening, etc. Thanks and keep me posted on the Beco!
Old 01-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Katelyn'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

anyone?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
dluciew
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Yamo Baby Carriers?

No advice but have you been to http://www.thebabywearer.com/ Check out the Forums they are the experts. I've seen threads on the Yamo.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm short and short waisted - 5'0" And I love my mei tai baby!!! I'm also large chested, and have a bad back. Even with all of that, I can wear DS (31 lbs) on back or front (haven't tried the hip carry) and he feels weightless as long as I tie it tight enough! If you go with a mei tai, I would stay away from a black hawk xt or a mom tai - they are longer bodied and harder for a short mama to use!

As far as ease of use, I had never used one before, and that afternoon was able to take a mile walk with my 24 month old! He loved it! Still asks for his "fishie shirt" as he calls it (and his Thomas shirt, but I can't wear it.)

I would say practice tying it the first time with someone there to spot, and practice 3 or 4 times. The tighter you tie it, the less weight you feel!

If you want any more help, feel free to pm me!

Laura
Old 01-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #8
CATeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I havent tried a Yamo but I know some on TBW have. I love my beco...I found it less bulky than the ergo and it is taller bodied so it feels a little more sequre in a back carry. My favorite Mei tai is a babyhawk.

Karen
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Katelyn'sMomma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mommas! I am checking out TBW. I have heard soooo many great things about Mei Tai's that I am tempted to investigate but Im just scared that I am going to get it and hate all the adjusting and getting used to putting it on. Guess it would be fine once I got used it it. Are they really hard to get the child on your back??
Old 01-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
pixiepunk
Registered Users
seller

it takes a few practices, but it's not really very difficult. there are two methods for getting them on your back - a "santa toss" where you wrap the MT around the baby, take the straps under their arms, and then toss 'em over your shoulder. i do the "hip scoot" where basically you have them on your hip, and then just lean forward a bit and scoot 'em around to your back. if you've already got the MT tied at your waist, you just grab the straps, pull them up/over your shoulders, and tie it on. it's really pretty easy.

but i love my structured carriers when the babies get a little heavier as the structureds offer more padding and a bit more support IME. i had a patapum i liked a lot. i've heard great things about the Yamo, and will probably try one of those with the next baby.

as for the larger body vs. shorter body MT, i don't find it has much to do with the shape of the mama so much as the size of the baby. smaller bodied MT's work better with smaller babies because they don't get swallowed up by the fabric. but a larger bodied MT is a lot more supportive for a taller, heavier baby/toddler because that extra fabric means extra support. my DS has all of his upper back stick out in a short-bodied MT now (like a FH or babyhawk), and tends to lean back which pulls on my shoulders. but i made a MT that's the same dimensions as a Kozy, so much taller and a bit wider, and he's snug as a bug in it, and doesn't try to reach or lean when in it.

to some extent you've gotta try af ew things and see what works. is there a NINO group in your area where you could try some different stuff and see what you like? you should be able to find babywearers nearby to you on thebabywearer.com forums.
HTH!
pixiepunk is offline   Reply With Quote