Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #11
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:
Re: Anyone raising their kids bilingual?

Yes, we are bilingual. We speak English and Spanish. Christian's first launguage is Spanish and thats all he realy heard for almost his first 2 years. I worked and so his babysitters were all spanish too. He has also been to Mexico and was able to spend 2 winters in a row (almost 3 mos each) in school there. He does visit Mexico every year. His Papi's is Mexican and he goes for visits every other weekend and all they speak is spanish. Since we divorced I have lost some of my spanish. Christian is very fluent, knows more than I do, and has realized when he doesn't want his siblings to know what he is asking or telling me he will say it in spanish quickly. Kinda cute!!

But all the kids now some words and pick up some here and there. Mostly it is spanglish.

To the OP, Your kids are still young enough to start speaking to them in German and your oldest will pick it back up and the little one will absorb it. Make German your primary language at home. They will get the english everywhere!!

Advertisement

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #12
BellaRia
Registered Users

Hi Val!

We are bilingual at our house... plus a couple others. lol I'm Sicilian Italian so I've been teaching Raymond that, but he also knows some Greek and Ojibwe. His father is Native American. Someday we hope to visit my family in Sicily, and it would be great if he could communicate with everyone. As for Ojibwe, hes mostly picking that up at powwow's and other events, he'll be dancing next year.

EDD:09.22.07 1****5****10***15****20****25****30****35****40 think pink!
BellaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all your replies, mamas!
I myself grew up in Brazil up until I was 6 and we moved back to Germany, so I learned Brazilian Portuguese easily and according to my parents I'd switch from German to Portuguese w/no probs. Later on in life I found it very easy to learn other languages and always wonder if it's just 'conincidence' or if it might have something to do with learning a 2nd language that early on... (Like it's always said that once you learn a 2nd language, the 3rd, 4th etc. is more easy)

I guess I'd really re-inforce speaking German to DD aswell as to DS.. I just feel kinda 'funny' when doing so, especially when DD starts giggling over some words that sound funny to her, kwim?..
Maybe I'll just really get the language kit from Muzzy (http://www.early-advantage.com/produ...ialOptin.aspx# ) to make the step easier?..
Old 01-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

your kids are young enough to still learn
my dh speaks spanish and english, i can understand spanish although i can't speak it, my in-laws all speak spanish, my fmaily speaks both, my mom learned spanish at 13 years old, my dad learned as an adult. my brother also learned as an adult, my sister can't speak or understand it.
dh is teaching my kids, it is im[portant to us that they learn, he used tot ry and teach me, although he would make fun of how i would pronounce words,so i got tired of it and gave up. i took spanish in h.s and learned alot although i dont feel comfy speaking it, i feel like i say words funky
you can teach your kids, the giggling form your dd will fade away and they will be thankfu;l that you took the time to teach them later
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #15
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, Hon!
I guess since German to me seems to be a language that nobody really 'needs' (vs Spanish, French, Italian etc) I'm a bit unsure if they'll ever even really use it..kwim?
I guess it's the wrong approach of me thinking that way, huh?