Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
ladybug6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Brand New to PL!

Hi Mommas,

DD is 15 months old, and every time she is naked, she squats and pees on the floor. She also waits till there is a little water left in the tub and likes to pee as well. I got her the Baby Bjorn potty chair for Xmas, and she will sit on it whenever DH or I go potty. Last night DH encouraged her to sit on the potty before she got in the tub, and she got right up and peed on the rug.

Do we just keep encouraging her to go on the potty?? My Mom keeps telling me she is too young, but I am not trying to push her.

TIA

Advertisement

Expecting #4 4/4/2011
ladybug6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Re: Brand New to PL!

I don't think she's too young to encourage to sit on the potty or to use it during a time when she predictably pees. Keep asking her if she wants to sit on the potty before bath time, since that seems to be a time that works well for her.

She's only "too young" in the sense that it's unrealistic to expect her to use the potty 100% of the time, or without reminders/prompting and help from you. It's not to early to let her know there are predictable times of the day when everybody uses the potty (when they wake up, before a bath, before bed, maybe after meals) and to work that into her daily routines. Kids thrive on routines, and if you set up time to sit on the potty as a part of her schedule without any pressure on her to pee or poop in the potty and ONLY on the potty, then your DD will be used to going to the bathroom just as a regular part of her day and will be less likely to rebel when typical older toddler negativity sets in (which is one disadvantage of starting PLing at a later age). If you keep your expectations realistic, it's not inappropriate at all, imo.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
kt~mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: ben***katieh
seller

My Mood:

my 15 mo-old is also starting to move away from what he's doing and squat to poo lately - he pees during any brief diaper-less time also, so i was wondering the same thing. nice to know other lo's are doing this at his age and that you're starting the potty with her, as we've been wondering what to really start casually teaching him to use a potty.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
alnoodle
Registered Users
seller

I don't think your dd is too young. My dd is almost 17 months and we've been working on potty training for a few months now. I actually started letting her explore the potty at 9 months. She does pretty good... but she went through a phase awhile back where she would squat and pee on the floor sometimes... well... sometimes she still has her moments.... but usually it's if she is tired. We let her run diaper free a lot. Part of it is a phase, but you may want to try putting her on the big toilet... we found our DD won't do the potty chair thing... she'd rather go on the floor. Other than that... be patient and continue to encourage the potty. Remind her every hour or so... and maybe even teach the sign for potty... that helped with my DD who REFUSES to say potty. Good luck... feel free to email me if you have any questions about potty learning at this age!

Amanda married to Jamie. Mother of three little boogers; Lulu, Brooke, and Rosie
alnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote