Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #11
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Trying to EC a 2 month old, and I'm getting frustrated

hi!
I agree with all pp - that's what we do and we try to keep it fun. i like to potty her over the bathroom sink where there is a mirror- something for them to do - make sure to play with them so pottying is fun otherwise they wil start hating it. LOL.
Remember, it is NOT about trying to keep the diaper dry. But u can do some nakey time in the evening when there is less going on - if u are relaxing maybe u can put DC on a blanket with a prefold under them and they may just hold it!

Also, if they are sick, had vax or something else to throw her off that day, I woudn stress over it. (note holidays coming up!) When DD was pretty sick with a cold, I didnt even bother with the potty for a day or two. She has been doing EC since 3 months and she's 4.5 months and has just recently started staying dry at most diaper changes. She'll whimper and I'll go to change her and she'll be dry. Its more of a process. And even when they "get" it u will still have wet dipes for a bit. Just like potty training. All kids have accidents even when they are trained for the first year...
HTH! Have fun!

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
MelissaMarie
Registered Users
seller

First of all, I wouldn't beat up on yourself about starting "late." We have two kids. With our daughter, we started EC at 3 months because that's when I found out about it. She was down to one or two diapers a day by the time she was 5 months old. We had a pause when she started to crawl and learned to walk, and then at about 12 months it clicked again and we got rid of diapers all together. With our son, we started at birth. He's 5 months now and goes through many many many diapers a day. I think part of it is just personality. Our daughter just didn't like a wet or dirty diaper. She would always wake up dry and fussing to go potty. She would toss and turn at night until I got up to take her potty! She refused to poop in her diaper. Before we found out about EC she would hold poop in for 6 days at a stretch. Our son is different - he pees in his diaper all night long and wakes up completely soaked. He hates going potty in the middle of the night. He seems to prefer pooping in the potty, but will still go in a diaper if I'm not around without too much fuss.

In summary, every kid is different, and I don't think your results would be much different if you started earlier. In our case, we started earlier and have "worse" results. However, I still consider ECing our son a success. We keep him in diapers at all times. I can't imagine the logistics of a potty bowl either! Plus, we only EC in the toilet. I'm not one to clean out bowls of pee. Just one more thing for me to deal with. I like flushing! I take him potty every time I change him. I try to check if he's wet at least every half hour, and change him as soon as I know he's wet. Even though he's usually wet when I check him, I take him potty anyway. He usually goes more in the potty. Especially when there's a little poo in the diaper - he'll almost always go a whole lot more in the potty.

My advice would be to relax, and don't give up. Keep a diaper on baby for your peace of mind, and take baby potty as much as you can - hopefully at least at every diaper change. Stay positive, and talk to baby about what you're doing. Even if you don't have a lot of "catches" you'll still be communicating, and baby will still learn about using the potty.
MelissaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
jtaylor379
Registered Users
seller

Definitely don't stress over it! Your baby will key into it, and just set you back even further. My DS and I were doing great from birth through four and a half months. Now he's just gotten so interested in the world that the distractions have gotten in the way. It's ok, though, soon we'll get back to it and he'll be interested again. It's not an "all or nothing" proposition.

Cheers,
Jessica
jtaylor379 is offline   Reply With Quote