Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #71
amberpayne27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: $135 a day for daycare!!! I'm so frustrated :( (long)

I had my little girl in an in-home setting. She was a friend of mine and was wonderful with the children. She had her little boy, and 3 others including mine. She charged $75 per week, but we live out in the country in Georgia, so it's different. I now keep 2 children in my home so I can stay home with my dd and I, too, charge $75 per week. I provide lunch and 2 snacks. I know it seems like a small amount, but it's the going rate around here. From the previous posts, looks like your area is definitely more, but NOT $15 an hour! I have never even had a "job" that paid that around here!

Advertisement

Jesus lovin' wife to my 3rd grade sweetie and Homeschooling mama to my funny little 5 year old diva, Kelsie ,Stella Mae, my 2 year old wild child and Judah Jenkins, our sweet miracle rainbow baby born 11/3/12
Missing our tiny love bugs 6/11, 4w4d and 10/11, 9w1d
amberpayne27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #72
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

I'm watching a newborn at my house for a little extra cash, and I'm only charging $575 a month for full time! That's a little low for here, but I'm definitely not the only one around charging that little. $15/hour is definitely nanny pay (i e cooking/cleaning/watching your child) Maybe the mom just really has no idea? In-home daycare here is more like $5/hour.
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #73
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's not the going rate around here, Usually it's around $20 a day for FT.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:43 AM   #74
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

IF you have ill feelings about her go with your gut. But I wanted to let you know your expectations are not crazy.

I was a professional nanny with a degree in education and 5 years experience. I came to their house, organized schedules, managed classes, cooked, shopped, did laundry and tutored the older kids and made 15.00 an hour in Denver (which is a very high wage city).

IMO keep looking, someone who is offering drop in home daycare should only be asking around 5 dollars and hour, unless you are asking them to do a lot more for you.
PurpleDaffodil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #75
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

it's been over 1 month... what ever happened? did you respond and tell her what the going rate really is and that you couldn't afford what she offered? did she do some research on the costs and realize her rates were a little excessive?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #76
Nikki_Nikk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For a minute there i thought you were in California!
because yes, thats almost what nanys make out here ( a few bucks more depending where at in CA, and what skills/services they offer). BUT that is a skilled qualified person that gives individual atention to your child...takes them to the park, zoo and so on. not someone who sits with your kids watching Dora and eating cheetos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaferriere@berklee.net View Post
I do think that people undervalue in home child care.. to have more one-on-one time with your child definitely costs extra whether in your home or theirs. If you want a more affordable rate it may just be better to do PT daycare??
I agree, but in this situation "A SAHM saying she was looking for a "playmate" for her son" does not apply. I would give her $100/week and she should be happy she has money in her pocket and her child has someone to play with
Old 01-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #77
RobertsMomma3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For 6 hours/day, with two 2 year olds I was paying $65/day.
RobertsMomma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #78
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicanaCoqueta View Post
it's been over 1 month... what ever happened? did you respond and tell her what the going rate really is and that you couldn't afford what she offered? did she do some research on the costs and realize her rates were a little excessive?
I let her know that the other mamas who were contacting me were asking for $20-$30 a day so that seemed to be the going rate for in home care. I also said that there are people looking for nanny's in the area that pay $8-$10 an hour and that might be more what she is looking for (although the three ads that were posted for nanny's and offering that said you had to go to their house, they each had 3 children, and they didn't allow you go bring your own children) . Then I wished her luck and moved on She did eventually change her ad to actually say she is asking for $10 an hour (before she just said "reasonable cost"), but it is still posted...

I found an organic mama to watch DS She charges $25 a day

Last edited by heidisue; 01-08-2009 at 05:20 PM.
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #79
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow! I'd start up home daycare again if I could charge that! Here the going rate is $30-35 a day for home daycare.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #80
charisma3458
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's great you found an organic mama for $25 a day.

It's probably best that you did not go with the other lady. Sounds like she is not experienced in providing childcare to other children and who knows how her watching your child could have went.
/ /
charisma3458 is offline   Reply With Quote