Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Anyone else try E.A.S.Y. (Whisperer routine)

Okay.. so as i wrote somewhere else.. we're having to do some major routine adjustments with DS. DH voiced how tired he was of getting kicked all night by DS... so we need to get DS into his own crib (he's almost 6 months and has never slept in it...) but as a comprimise I told DH he would have to help bring DS into bed with us to breastfeed... but THAT hasn't gone over so well... at any rate.. bottom line.. we're in a lot of transitions right now (not to mention DH wants DS to start food soon.... which I have anticipated)...

So in desperation to try and get MY life organized a bit, I opened up the Baby Whisperer book I got as a gift while pregnant. I have a textbook baby through and through--and yesterday we did remarkably well doing EASY (that stands for Eat, Activity, Sleep, You time... it's just doing things in a certain order in a cycle every 3 hours or so). Previous to even yesterday DS would rarely go to sleep (not including a car ride.. which ALWAYS puts him out) without nursing (DS was previously an on demand feeder)... but the last 2 days he's gone down IN HIS CRIB with minimal fussing without nursing (becuase the Activity portion of the day poops him out!). It's a Christmas miracle!

Don't get me wrong.. I'm NOT a fan of a lot of what the Baby Whisperer has to say--don't even get me started on her opinion of breastfeeding... (poor DH got an ear full for her!)...but I was wondering if anyone else uses a similar pattern (Eat, play, sleep and during sleep time for YOU) with sucess? I mean, it really is logical to me (I mean... nobody should sleep with a full tummy, right?)...and the last few days DS has been on pretty much a self-set clockwork routine... which is amazing to me. I know it's not terribly AP... but like I said...he's 6 months old and we have had an absolutely SEEMLESS transition during the day to this so-called EASY program... now nighttime is a whole 'nother ball of wax... oi.... but it makes it easier to tackle the night knowing the day has a good routine with naps in his crib.

Just wanted to share. This really is our first experience doing any kind of "text-book" "parenting" with our boy.. so it's kind of exciting to see something work!

Advertisement

Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else try E.A.S.Y. (Whisperer routine)

I guess we did . . . without knowing that was what it was called. I called it "the circuit"! DD was usually tired within 2 hours of waking during the early months. She'd eat, spit up all over the place and then we'd go from my lap, to the activity mat to the bouncy seat, to the activity center, blah, blah, blah and then off to sleep and then start the whole circuit again when she woke up.

Elisa
Old 01-04-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
sienna
Registered Users

I think it makes sense (the BW.)

The only thing i think is assinine is her advice about breastfeeding. Truly. Every FOUR HOURS AT FOUR MONTHS AND sleep through the night? Does she know that means the baby would eat only 5 times? I would think many women would get serious milk supply issues at that rate. Many babies would not be getting enough that way. NOt all, but MANY.

I have been thinking of trying a bw routine since dd is starting to need nursing before falling asleep, although she doesn't suck to sleep....it is her 'routine'. Sit down to nurse, then sleep in bassinette. This could be a problem when she starts to drop naps.

S
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first dd's routine was eat awake sleep like the bw and another book I read recommended. We didn't set out to follow it religiously, but when I tried it out, it just ended up working well for her. I think alot of what the bw says makes sense...especially about the overstimulation. Just take what you don't like with a grain of salt and use what you can. Whatever works!
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Yep... I had MAJOR problems looking at her section on breastfeeding. My DS was born 10 lbs and is 23 lbs at 6 months and STILL gets up several times during the night to nurse--and I feel like it's because he's hungry--it's not a casual nurse, let me tell you... but "the circut" is working during the day and helped Sammy to immediatly drop nursing to sleep. Hurray for THAT! And actually.. it's day 3 now.. and last night he slept from 12 to 6 without waking or nursing.. I think it's because of the regular naps during the day... at any rate.. I'm pleased.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
RobinOK
Registered Users
seller

Last edited by RobinOK; 01-04-2007 at 08:37 AM.
RobinOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
sienna
Registered Users

with envy

s
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:58 AM   #8
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I prefer Dr. Sears...

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote