Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #11
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Only 2 carseats make consumers cut.

Please check the other thread about this. CR is NOT a good source on car seats. You'll find more info at http://www.car-seat.org as well.

Advertisement

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just watched the video link and it looks like the Britax is "cocooning". Is this seat not designed to do that? (I have not used the Companion).
Old 01-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What is "cocooning"?
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #14
jaimegrrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Red face Re: Only 2 carseats make consumers cut.

Fortunately, I haven't made any carseat purchases yet, but I was already looking at a Graco travel system (with the snugride seat), and seeing this on the news yesterday only made me feel more confident in my decision to go with Graco. I typically like to "go against the grain," but I guess some things are popular for a reason!
jaimegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
jillkuster
Registered Users
seller

I have the Evenflow Discovery.....the one that didn't even pass the test at all. Needless to say I checked here first to see what you ladies are recommending-and now I'm off to buy a new infant seat. I'm in a panic. I was driving with Ezra on the interstate when it came on the radio. OMG
Old 01-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #16
Dsunny1
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed with boys View Post
What is "cocooning"?
Cocooning is what rearfacing infant and convertible car seats are designed to do. In a frontal crash (the most common) the seat will rebound against the back of the vehicle seat and then come back down. It is made to do this as a way to distribute crash forces and help ride down the crash. Many of the seats in CR's tests did just what they were supposed to do when they cocooned, but for some reason they are stating it is a problem. The only rearfacing seats that do not cocoon are ones that allow rearfacing tethers, or have an anti-rebound foot on the base.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #17
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Part of the problem with consumer reports car seating testing is that they don't allow car seat manufacturers to view the tests and the way they're done no independent study can re-create them.

So a) you have no reassurance that the seat is correctly installed and b) if it can't be replicated by the manufacturer or an independent agency then it's unreliable.

If the car seats blatantly failed, you can know beyond the shadow of a doubt that NHTSA would recall them or pull them from the market. There are very stringent standards for car seat safety tests before being approved.

And coccooning is as another poster described and most infant seats are meant to do this - it's a good thing for the seats that are meant to.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #18
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So the Companion did exactly what it was supposed to do, and CR just didn't like it? LOL

How utterly stupid. I wish Britax or another carseat manufacturer would sue them.

I have seen more and more people say this today "Well I'll trust CR over techs because CR isn't in it for money, and the techs sell seats." What BS! Honestly, PLEASE stop and think. CR sells magazines AND subscriptions to their website, and every single time they make the news because of a controversial report (Which they NEVER back up, btw - feel free to do a search for last year's reports!) they get new subscribers and MAKE MONEY.

With techs, they may or may not recommend a seat to you, typically are not retailers of the seats, and have spent hundreds out of pocket to get certified. It's a volunteer position. They don't get a kickback from Britax for every person they mention it to, KWIM?

Personally, I think it IS hard for people to understand why they should have to use shelf liner or pool noodles or go through a lot of trial and error to install a seat. But when you think about just how many car models there are, and it has to work somewhat well in ALL of them, there's going to be issues. There's not going to be a single seat that fits every vehicle perfectly and easily.

Just like learning to CD, learning to install your seat is a learning curve. It's hard at first and possibly confusing, and then you learn a few tips and tricks and keep doing it over and over, and before you realize it you've mastered it.

/ramble
Old 01-05-2007, 11:04 PM   #19
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You said it well.

CR sells subscriptions. They make $$$. The VAST majority of techs and instructors work as volunteers, that means no $$. I've been a tech for six years and made $50. We generally pay for our own classes, updates, certification. i don't know ANY CPS person that's in it for the money. Even those in higher positions work above and beyond their salary. You may find techs that recommend certain seats, but they aren't getting any $ from it.

What does CR do? They throw info out there that scares the jebbers out of parents, their sales go up, they make $$. If they were truly concerned then they need to show their testing to trained professionals. I assure you the professionals want to know. They don't want your kids in an unsafe seat any more than you do.

I think most car seat manufacturers have put out a statement. You can check their individual sites.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:08 AM   #20
momx2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

uh..well... um... I one of those that tend to believe consumer reports. Yes, they do make $ by selling magazines and selling subscriptions, but they need to make $ in order to purchaes the items to test. All items that they buy to perform their tests on are NOT donated by the manufacturer, they are purchased by cr. If they were donated by the manufacturer, it could be said that they already have a bias towards those companies that donated a "testing" model vs. one who has not donated a testing model.

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong!! I don't want to sound stupider than I already do, LOL, but, I believe that the car seat testing that they perform is conducted by cr using a certified car seat person.

What I found is pretty much true.... there are many carseats out there on the market. ALL carseats are SAFE as they HAVE to be in order to pass national traffic safety laws. However, you also have your lowest, middle and then the premium carseats. The lowest would be those carseats that are just barely passing the minimum safety standards. The middle would be those that are a little above the standards and the premium would have the highest protection standards. but ALL the seats are safe in that they pass the standards.

so to me, I use CR to determine what car seat to buy that has the premium highest protection standards. I do not want to find out what the highest or lowest protection is by getting into a car accident, kwim? If I can buy a car seat that offers a higher level of protection than another one and I can afford it, than that's the one I'm going to buy.
momx2 is offline   Reply With Quote