Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:12 AM   #141
BuggaBuggaBoutique
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do people treat you differently because you use cloth diapers?

Yes! Especially my family who make snotty comments about it every time.

Advertisement

Momma to 4 girls and one boy! Smoke Free, Pet Free Home!
BuggaBuggaBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #142
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My two closest friends and two of my SILs all cd at least part time, so don't hear it from them! My neighbors have looked at me funny, but haven't commented. My mom is the one who has the biggest fit about it. Not sure why. It just bugs her. She was an extended bf-er in her day along with making all baby food, but for some reason cloth just annoys her. I can't even say it grosses her out. When she watched me kids, they'll come in cloth but both be in disposables when I pick them up. Ugh.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #143
Spindle Spun
Spindle Spun - Handspun Goodness
Formerly: iamslh
seller

My Mood:

My husband and I have gotten a lot of comments about cd'ing, and most of them disparaging. We aren't even cloth diapering yet! We just tell people of our intention and we get all sorts of remarks.

The most common ones center around how we really won't save any money because of all the wash we will be doing (wrong) or how the environmental impact isn't really less because of all the water used and the chemicals used to clean the diapers (what?) I used to try to explain that we have enough dipes to last a week, we won't be washing much more than once a week (what is the economical impact of 1 xtra laundry load a week over sposies?), and you actually use LESS chemicals to wash diapers than you do to wash regularly laundry. This typically falls on deaf ears. If they do hear, they automatically cue in on how if we wash only once per week our entire house will most certainly smell only of poo. such is life.

I did have one person at work be really positive about it! I was happy about her response, and I told her so. She isn't a mom, and is probably in her 50's, but just told me she thought it sounded like a really fun and neat idea. My mom is also really supportive, and said that she cloth diapered all of us girls (although for money reasons) and only used sposies when travelling. I also have a good friend who I think would cloth diaper if she didn't already feel overwhelmed about a lot of personal stuff going on in her life, because she is just FASCINATED by the diapers and stuff we have been accruing. She has a special needs son who is in diapers still at 3-1/2 years and a 7 month old. Neither will be out of dipes anytime soon!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #144
babysweetbottoms
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The ladies at my church are all pretty impressed and soo curious about my dipes. It's fun to see their reaction and all the questions they have.
Selling fitteds here and pockets here. For beautiful wool yarn click here.
babysweetbottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #145
ilovecookie
Registered Users
seller

Yes, everyone we know thinks it is odd, weird and of course, poor.

I personally don't get why anyone wouldn't give it a try-- better for the baby and better for your pocketbook. I love CDing and wouldn't change it for anything.

But, in my friends defense, no one around here CD's and no one is educated about it either. When I took all my prenatal classes at the hospital, I asked about CDing and they had no ideas/answers/help for me. So, if the products and the education is not around, where are you going to learn besides the internet? I am a self taught Cding mom with the help of the internet.
ilovecookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #146
Catherine87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't feel outed at all. Pretty much everyone I talk to commend me on CD'ing and think it's cool "someone so young cloth diapers".
Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #147
jhf
Registered Users
seller

I guess something about me just invites people to keep their opinions to themselves. I've never gotten any unsolicited comments, positive or negative about cloth diapering or extended breastfeeding. I *once* got a comment about EC'ing my daughter when I happened be in a Toys R Us bathroom with my 14 month old daughter at the same time another mom was in there with her 3 year old son. My DD did her business, I praised her lightly like I always do, and when we came out of the stall the other mom asked "Is she using the potty already??" Told her "Yep, since birth" and left.

I evangelize both CDing and EC to anyone who evinces the slightest interest but I've never converted anyone. My MIL doesn't mind the cloth diapers but she can't seem to grasp the concept of a wetbag. She tightly wraps the used diapers each in plastic shopping bags and then puts them in the wetbag.
jhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #148
AyseGizem
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamslh View Post
My husband and I have gotten a lot of comments about cd'ing, and most of them disparaging. We aren't even cloth diapering yet! We just tell people of our intention and we get all sorts of remarks.
How convenient it is for people to form their judgements even before watching Cd'ing in action. My friends all had bets on how soon I will give up cding even before Iza was born!

Since then however, they've changed their minds. It costs me 2 dollars 50 cents each week for a weekful of diapers which is no where even close the money they pay for a month of sposies even from a wholesale outlet!

Power to the CD'ers lolz.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #149
kyrae99
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

isn't crazy that people will judge you for what you will put on your baby's butt.

Baltic Amber Jewelry for The Whole Family- Become a fan on Facebook and enter to win FREE AMBER NECKLACE!!! My ISO List
kyrae99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #150
mom2phae
Registered Users
seller

I haven't had my baby yet, but have been stocking up my stash and talking to people about it and one of my SIL's really acts like I'm crazy. She's a bit rude about it, like she thinks I'm making so much more work for myself, but I just ignore it even though it bothers me. Most everyone else is pretty understanding and thinks it's cool that we want to save money.
mom2phae is offline   Reply With Quote