Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2006, 03:59 PM   #21
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: help me I'm gonna cry

Thanks ladies, it is starting to get better! doesn't hurt nearly as much now! she's still supplimenting a little, but I put her to the breast first and get her to eat as much as I can then let her have a bottle, so she really isn't taking much formula anymore (maybe an ounce?) when she does take it. So she's getting about 2 bottles during the night and thats it (not two full bottles just about an ounce from each). and will hopefully have that cut off by the end of this week! my milk is in now and I feel like i'm overflowing so I've been waking her to feed too lol. Now I just wish I could buy a breast pump so I could pump and nurse her, why do those darn things have to be so expensive? Even a rental here you're looking at $100 initial cost! sigh, but it is getting better and I'm really happy now that I didn't just give in and switch to formula! Now off to try and make some breast pads as I don't have any and I'm making my shirt dirty lol!

Advertisement

Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:02 PM   #22
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad it's getting better. I had terrible pain when breastfeeding, also. It made me give up very easily with my first two children, but I stuck it out with my third. He had a great latch and there didn't seem to be anything else going on that was causing all the pain. The LC at the hospital said that some women just go through this until their nipples toughen up. She told me to give it two weeks. It took 5 weeks, but it was well worth it. Hugs.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #23
lisahas2cats
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishalynn
Now I just wish I could buy a breast pump so I could pump and nurse her, why do those darn things have to be so expensive? Even a rental here you're looking at $100 initial cost!
Are you in the US? You may be able to get a breast pump through your county's WIC program. Even if you don't qualify, they may be able to tell you where you can get one for low cost. Also check with local hospitals (and your LC).

Another thought is if there is a crisis pregnancy center near you...they provide a lot of resources for new moms, even if they're not single or in a "crisis" situation. They might be able to help you with the up-front cost of renting a good pump.

Glad things are better, regardless!
Lisa
lisahas2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:48 PM   #24
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

After you nurse her, you could try hand expressing and feeding with a bottle. The problem is formula is higher calories and takes longer to digest, so it may interfer with her next nursing session because she'll still be full from formula.
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #25
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemomto3
After you nurse her, you could try hand expressing and feeding with a bottle. The problem is formula is higher calories and takes longer to digest, so it may interfer with her next nursing session because she'll still be full from formula.
Yeah that.
How much pumping are you planning on doing? I just have a manual (Medela Harmony) for occasional use - it works great and is way less than $100!
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:42 PM   #26
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

I used to put baby in her swing in the bathroom, hop in the HOT shower, get milk going, hop out, and nurse. It helped me A LOT in the beginning.

And nipple shields.

And a program at our hospital where you could weigh the baby every 2-3 days to SEE that she was indeed gaining weight. This alone was the biggest reassurance to me - because I couldn't SEE how much she got from nursing.

With my son, I actually used my Ebay digital scale to see his body weight going up in ounces - he is a PERFECT nursling, but I struggled with my twins for the whole 18 months I nursed them.

My pump is a small manual one - $40 at Target. Avent. LOVE LOVE it - I don't work in an office to need it every day or anything (prob'ly need electric for that), but this thing has been worth its weight in gold.

And we gave the girls formula in the early days for some relief for me until things got going - I don't really understand the "all or nothing" camps on nursing vs. formula (and believe me I am NOT trying to go there). You know what works best for your family.

I'm glad it's going better. Keep it up! You'll be happy you did! (Nursing for 12 months can reduce your own risk of breast cancer AND help your daughter reduce her own risk, too.)
Old 05-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #27
aschrimp
Registered Users

Even the Avent pumps are around $40 if you can find them outside of the kit. And, Target has the $60 kit on sale for $47 right now. It's just manual, but I just got one because I wanted something less that my big electric pump for the occasional pumping session, and it works quite well once I got the hang of it & all. I even was able to get a letdown. My other syringe style manual pump that I got for free from the hospital I cannot stimulate a letdown, no matter how long I pump. Of course, I can with my big electric pump, but that's a bit of an overkill for wanting an oz or two to mix with cereal - LOL.

My ds nursed for 45 min at a time every hour (quite similar to bobandjess99) and my sister's ds, who was born 2 weeks later nursed for about 10 min total on a long session, and went 4 hrs between nursings. I worried that ds wasn't getting enough because he nursed for so long. She worried that her ds wasn't getting enough because he nursed so quickly. My ds, still basically EBF, is 27 lbs at 8 mos old, and is wearing 24 mo clothes. My sisters ds (also EBF) is in 18 mo clothes, also at 8 mos (don't know his actual weight). They both were getting plenty, obviously.

Unless your baby isn't pooping and peeing enough, she will get plenty from your breasts all by herself if you let her.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #28
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a Avent Pump listed over in the personal care section...asking $16 for it. It's yours if you want it! I barely used it...it was my spare Avent. I had two.
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #29
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did cry too! It was so hard... but at just shy of six months we are still going.. which may not sound long to you marathon nursers but we are happy that we've made it...and we are still going!
I remember one of the worst things was seeing the strawberry milk mustache on my baby's mouth because my nipples were bleeding so bad. I was far from home and any sort of LLL, and my inlaws pushed really hard for me to switch to formula. Our baby had awful colic and would almost cry contiously unless he was sucking, and that usually meant on me. Now we joke that I am his favorite pacifier. But at the time everyone (except my wonderful husband and our ped.) thought my milk was no good or that i didn't have enough. He would nurse 1 hr + each side and then nurse again in a couple hours, crying all the time in between. But then after gettng back home and meeting with a LC and learning how to see when the baby is just sucking and when they are eating from the videos that Dr. Jack Newman has online, we found out he was just sucking. He really only nurses no more than 20 mins each side. I know a lot of LLL will suggest you let them suck all the want but I had to make him stop for awhile when he wasn't eating so I could heal some. Now I only let him spend a lot of time with his fav paci when he is teething, sick, or upset..... that way I can get to keep nursing him.

p.s. I second Dr. Jack's cream over the lasolin... it helped more
Old 05-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #30
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

p.s.s.
even though i feel like a goat i can hand express a lot faster and get more than using a pump. i tried advent and my cousins expensive medela. i expressed an oz or 2 after nursing and then gave it to him
but giving a bottle before 6 weeks can hinder proper latch learning, and some babies will opt to only wait for the bottle because the milk comes so much quicker