Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Bakers...question

So, DH wants me to make our bread. I did it a few times, but it was SOOO expensive! What am I doing wrong? I've always heard it's cheaper to make your own, but when I can buy a loaf for $2 and the yeast, flour, ect costs me like, $6, I don't see how I can afford it. I hope somebody can help me because I'd really love to use home-made bread around here instead of store-bought. But we just can't afford the extra money.

Advertisement

KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bakers...question

Buy in bulk and that will save money long range. But mostly you don't save much but your avoiding some of the chemicals that are added to storebought bread so it is lots better to bake your own.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
aran_knitter
Registered Users

Don't buy individual yeast packets... they are a waste of money! Most larger grocery stores carry Fleischmann's yeast in a large vacuum-sealed package (white with blue type). This will save you tons of money in the long run. I think they cost between 4 and 8 dollars, and there is a lot of yeast in each package - maybe 2 (or more) cups.

Once opened, store the yeast in an airtight container in your freezer. Opinions on how long it lasts there differ, but certainly for at least 6-12 months.

http://bruisedreed.wordpress.com/
aran_knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran_knitter View Post
Don't buy individual yeast packets... they are a waste of money! Most larger grocery stores carry Fleischmann's yeast in a large vacuum-sealed package (white with blue type). This will save you tons of money in the long run. I think they cost between 4 and 8 dollars, and there is a lot of yeast in each package - maybe 2 (or more) cups.

Once opened, store the yeast in an airtight container in your freezer. Opinions on how long it lasts there differ, but certainly for at least 6-12 months.
Ooh, thank you! Will it say on the container how much = 1 packet for recipes that call for 1 packet of yeast?
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Tasha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
Ooh, thank you! Will it say on the container how much = 1 packet for recipes that call for 1 packet of yeast?
They do have the conversion rates on the jar, like 1 packet = 1 1/4 tsp. Also, once you start making bread, you'll starting make rolls, pizza dough, and other goodies. So if you normally buy these you can save a little too!
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

That's what I was going to suggest! If you buy all of the things in bulk, you really won't notice the difference in your budget!

I have always bought flour in the big bags, and stored it at my house. It's much easier that way. You are also able to buy organic flour, different "flavors" of flour in the big bags now. Sometimes I even crack my own wheat and it's SO good in homemade bread!
Old 01-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
aran_knitter
Registered Users

Quote:
They do have the conversion rates on the jar
Yup... typically active dry yeast conversion is 1T = 1 pkt (actually it's just under 1T, but it doesn't usually make a difference)

Old 01-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

I bought a 2-pack of the Fleischmann's at Sam's for REALLY cheap. I don't remember what I paid, but I remember being amazed at how little it cost compared to the jar at the grocery store. And it seems like it will last forever. I bake with yeast at least a couple times a week and I have been working on the first bag for quite a while, with quite a bit to go. Another way to save (may be too late for this year) is to watch for your grocery stores sale pattern. Stores here have some great sales on flour from just before Thanksgiving through Christmas. A friend recently told me that she buys her flour for the upcoming year and stores it in 5 gallon bakery buckets, with a bay leaf in the bucket. She keeps the buckets in the basement where it is cool. She bakes all of her families bread from scratch.
stacim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:40 AM   #9
aran_knitter
Registered Users

Let me know if you would like recipes/need help! I have tons of books with everything from basic to the very technical.

One piece of advice at this point: master 1 or 2 recipes, and then experiment with new things. For these, use recipes that others recommend, so that if they aren't working for you, you know that the recipe has worked for someone else - and you can get help from her! Once you are comfortable with how things work, don't be afraid to try new things - breadmaking is therapy, in my opinion!

It's my favourite hobby - perhaps someday I'll have my own bakery...