Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

"I'm too tired to...."

My 4.5 year old DD uses this excuse A LOT. For not picking up toys, for not wanting to go places, etc.
I'm not sure when to believe it and when to ignore it.
Like when she says it when we're getting ready to go to Walmart or whatever, I usually ignore it and we go anyway.
But if it's something for her, then I get all on the fence about what to do. The 2 times I've noticed it the most is with gymnastics on Fridays at 11am and AWANAs on Wednesday evenings. When I start getting her ready, she starts saying I'm just too tired. I just want to stay home and take a nap. But once we get there, she likes it, and has fun.
I dont want it to be like I'm forcing her to go, but....

Advertisement

Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
MammaBx3!
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "I'm too tired to...."

My son did that at the same age with preschool. Also various things around the house (picking up toys, etc). He always enjoyed preschool, in fact talks about it even this year. I don't think you should stop her activities, but if you want to-- just ask her if she wants to stay home. Or just stay home one day and see if it bothers her.

My son just outgrew this phase. I think he was either misunderstanding what he was saying or he was just trying to get a reaction out of us.

GL
MammaBx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I notice my dd saying that when I've been saying it too much.

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #4
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:

For the past 1-1.5months my soon to be 4yr old has been using "I dont feel well" when I tell her to pick up, clean, ect. I tell her if she doesnt feel well then she needs to lay down. If she gets up to play I say 'If you dont feel well enough to put the books away then you dont feel well enough to play/color/watch tv/ect either' and have her lay back down. It doesnt take long before she's up and putting those books away lol Since I've been doing this (just the last 1-2wks) she's been saying it a lot! less. lol

However we dont have any activities or school yet. Maybe ask your dd if there's another reason she doesnt what to go. Try to get her talking. Maybe remind her of how much fun she has when she's there. Could you tell her that if she's still really tired once yall are there that yall can leave? As for the store though if you have to go you have to go. Tell her she can rest on the way to and from and even take a nap when yall get home.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Does your dd still take daily naps? My 2nd dd is also 4 years old and tells me she is to tired to do things quite a bit. On the days she naps we don't have that problem as much. When she does say she's to tired to do something I've asked, I'll tell her that she can take a nap or go do what I asked...she usually ends up doing what I asked.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
weddell
Registered Users
seller

My dd always says she can't pick things up because she "can't bend over well". She started saying it after I said it while pregnant and wearing ds in the carrier.
weddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
c2afwife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD says "I'm too sick" and then follows it with whatever I want her to do. "I'm too sick to go to school" "I'm too sick to pick up" "I'm too sick to eat that". LOL It's funny but yet very frustrating! I wonder if they are picking it up from us???
c2afwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
mevans
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have to say I'm glad I'm not alone! lol
We've had a problem with arguing, back-talk, not doing what we say, etc lately too.

She doesnt take a daily nap...just random naps.

I dont think she really doesnt want to go...I dont really want to stop her activities, because she does like them when she's there. And, I pay $40/month for the gymnastics, so I definitely dont want her skipping that! lol

Last night after AWANAs I talked to her about how she doesnt need to whine and complain about going places, because she has fun when she's there. I asked if she had a good time at AWANAs, and she said yes.

Thanks for the advice everyone! If there's anything else, feel free to post.
Michelle wifey to Justin, homeschooling SAHM to Kerilynn 3/28/04, Hunter 8/4/06, baby girl Piperann Meadow born 7/19/2011 at 40w5d, and our Great Dane Jess & missing Finley Jonas 7/27/10 ISO: size large Bummis Super Brite covers
mevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
4HisGlory
Registered Users
Formerly: 2&1ontheway
seller

my 4.5 year old does the same thing. If she really might be tired let her skip gymnastics or something once and see what happens (but make her rest while she skips it) and see if she ever says it again..lol
Old 01-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
bjaneen
Banned

My Mood:

I wish I could use that excuse! I'm too tired a LOT!
bjaneen is offline   Reply With Quote