Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
chaichica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Could it be something I'm eating?

My lo has been very gassy ever since she was about 2 weeks old, I've tried the mylicon drops but they don't seem to make too much difference. Now, if she didn't scream in pain I wouldn't really worry about it, but seeing her cry makes me want to cry as well. The last couple of nights her sleep has been very restless (and gas filled) though thankfully when she's asleep she doesn't cry when she toots. When she toots around others they always mention broccoli, but while its my favorite vegetable, I don't eat it THAT often. Any ideas/suggestions?

Advertisement

chaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Thrice Blessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Could it be something I'm eating?

Not sure about your diet, but the first thing that lac spec's seem to eliminate from mom's diet when baby has stomach issues is milk products. Second is soy products. I switched to rice milk and almond milk (vanilla . Also, baby massage can really help with moving the gas through your lo's system.

HTH~
Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
gideonsmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We didn't find much success with the gas drops either. My ds was like that right at first, up until about 1 month-6 weeks. At first I thought it was something I was eating, but he kind of grew out of it. I stopped any caffeine and tried not to eat anything too spicy. I'm still not sure if it was what I was eating or not. That's probably not very helpful in solving the problem...does she have an excessive amount of dirty diapers? because that could be a sign that it's something that you're eating, like dairy.
gideonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
chaichica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no, actually she only has a dirty diaper every couple days. She's 7 weeks old today-up until about 4 weeks she dirtied a diaper every 22-26 hours. I think I'll try cutting my dairy intake and see if that works. Thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
MyLil'Mountaineers
Registered Users
Formerly: my2sons
seller

Our dd is 6 weeks and is having the same problem. She also has reflux and is on meds for that. Our pedi said that reflux can cause gassiness/bm problems. My dd will go once a day or every other day but will wet through a diaper in an hour. It amazes me how much this little girl can pee.

I wanted to mention that having a diary/soy allergy/intolerance doesn't necessarily cause excessive dirty diapers. My two older kids both have diary and soy intolerances. One of them shows the classic signs of vomiting and diarrhea but the other one will get extremely constipated (he's been like this since day 1). He has gone for a week and a half without having a BM. He is also extremely gassy. It's worth trying to see if that could be the culprit. I have started eliminating it to see if it will help my dd.

Good luck!!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I had this problem with my DD and it didn't get better until her body grew enough to where her gas pains weren't so bad for her. I tried cutting as much as I could out of my diet, but in the end, she was still gassy. I can remember spending 15 mins feeding her and then 45 mins burping her up until about 6 mos old. I would burp her and burp her and burp her (walking around with her, bouncing, swaying, patting and rubbing her back, going up and down the stairs, etc.) and that was the ONLY thing that helped at all for us. The drops did nothing.

Best wishes and I hope your LO gets better with the toots soon!!!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
mommasave36
Registered Users
seller

I agree with everyone who says it's dairy. My ds1 could not tolerate any dairy products while I bf, but now can consume dairy products directly And caffeine can do it too. As for drops, try "gripe water." Now ds2 has no problems. So nice, because I love milk, yogurt & ice cream and need it to keep my weight up while bf'ing. Hope you have some luck.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Mom of Sasha and Oisin
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS was like this when he was newborn too. I tried to lay off the cheese and spicy foods. I would keep him upright in the carrier tight against my chest so his stomach had pressure on it. Then I would walk and bounce all around the house until he fell asleep. This was my saving grace! Fortunately his system grew out of it in his second month.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
chaichica
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, today starts day 3 of no dairy products for me and so far it seems to be doing the trick. She's still a little gassy but she's didn't scream in pain from gas once yesterday BUT.... I want ice cream...