Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #11
allye
Technicial girl extraordinaire
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mirena IUD

Cool - thank you for responding! I wanted to hear everyone/s good and bad about it...

Advertisement

Allye:: Mama to 5 ::
allye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I had one put in after DS#1 was born and I loved it. I had it removed 2 years later because I felt like it conflicted with my religious beliefs, but never had any problems with it. I never had AF either.

I had another one put in this past summer after Noah was born and it caused my milk to almost completely dry up. It's not a common side effect, but it does happen to women. And I happened to be one of the lucky ones And, well, then I got knocked up, sooooo.....

I never had any complications after having them inserted, just some cramping. Take some Advil or Tylenol before your appointment. You can expect to spot/bleed for 6 weeks-6 months. Make sure you are VERY diligent about checking your strings once a month. If you ever can't feel them, you need to call your Doc right away. I've known several people that have had the IUD's slip up and disappear and/or puncture their uterine wall. It's really important that you are always aware of where it is placement wise.

Good Luck!

Last edited by tararaboomdeea; 01-08-2007 at 09:19 PM.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:08 AM   #13
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I had one for 15 months and I liked it because no periods (I was bfing though) and it was so easy.

I know since I have had it out I have had much higher sex drive (was pretty much non-existant with IUD). Who knows if it was that or not.....not sure I would get one again, maybe one with no hormones, since those seem to screw me up. LOL sorry I am not much help!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #14
BellaRia
Registered Users

I had a major side affect with my IUD. I got pregnant! And they had to remove the IUD or it could risk my life. In the process it caused me to miscarry. Very horrible experience. Turns out it started slipping out of place and there for didn't do its job. Now I have to deal with the sorrow of having to kill a fetus so I could live.

I know my story is a little more extreme than normal... but I know of 3 ladies this has happened to, so it cant be as rare as they claim.

EDD:09.22.07 1****5****10***15****20****25****30****35****40 think pink!
BellaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #15
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

I have it. I got it when DS was about 2 months old so I have had it for about a month.

I had 3 weeks of spotting that was QUITE annoying, but it has seemed to stop for the most part.

My sex drive was higher before I got it placed, but I had to make a choice. I refuse pills, wont use depo, have issues with condoms, dont trust myself enough to do NFP and I wanted to BF. I tried the copper one between DD and DS#2 and I liked it well enough until I started my periods again.

So anyways, I have only had it placed for just over a month so I dont have much of an oppinion formed yet. Good Luck
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #16
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had the copper one.. and had it removed after a few months of thinking I was bleeding to death everytime af came. Also dh could feel the strings when we dtd and said it hurt really bad to have little wirey things poking him. Another thing... we had a pregnancy scare while it was in so I did some research and found that many many women get pregnant with them in, many more than the odds say, and the risk of that pregnancy being a tubal is super duper high which can be deadly. I don't miss that thing at all... and regret ever getting it cause for the first 7 months of ds's life I was miserable from having it.

I have heard others who love theirs.. but I wouldn't reccomend it. (it also can adhere itself inside your uterus and make you infertile in the future )
Old 01-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #17
TeneikM
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love mine! I got it a year ago and only spotted for a month or 2 after. I just got my first ppaf this week (DS is 14m and has been weaned for over a month now) and it's very light, no cramps. I want to have one more DC and then will probably get another Mirena put in.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #18
allye
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha View Post
I have it. I got it when DS was about 2 months old so I have had it for about a month.

I had 3 weeks of spotting that was QUITE annoying, but it has seemed to stop for the most part.

My sex drive was higher before I got it placed, but I had to make a choice. I refuse pills, wont use depo, have issues with condoms, dont trust myself enough to do NFP and I wanted to BF. I tried the copper one between DD and DS#2 and I liked it well enough until I started my periods again.

So anyways, I have only had it placed for just over a month so I dont have much of an oppinion formed yet. Good Luck
Thanks girl! And yeah I don'[t mind spotting, I can handle spotting... I can';t use depo I reacted to it badly, got preggers twice on BCP, my DH is so scared of us getting pregnant right now so this is why I opted for this

Old 01-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #19
allye
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeneikM View Post
I love mine! I got it a year ago and only spotted for a month or 2 after. I just got my first ppaf this week (DS is 14m and has been weaned for over a month now) and it's very light, no cramps. I want to have one more DC and then will probably get another Mirena put in.
See im a freak of nature I think/ I've never had cramping during AF... the only cramps I have ever felt is while being in labor... oi!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:00 PM   #20
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allye View Post
I don't know if this is in the right category or not... yikes.

I am having one of these put in tomorrow, just curious if anyone has had any major side effects from this? Reason im asking is i've had 2 kids while being on the pill (became pregnant twice while using the pill) and couldn't take Depo due to major horrible side effects.

I have researched this, I just would input from other mamas - thanks

I had non-stop bleeding while on Depo. Conceived my dc while on the pill. I have mirena. I never experienced any bleeding aside from light spotting when it was inserted. I haven't experienced a period since it went in on 9/1.

Laura who's loving life
Dyeing/Knitting WAHM
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote