Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
Momofboys
Registered Users
seller

Re: big family moms....diff between DC#2-#3?

I didnt have much of a problem going from 2 to 3 and am contemplating #4, but I really think it will be a much bigger transition, thus, I am wavering. My first 2 were only a year apart and basically, it was like having twins. They were 3 and 4 when my third was born and it was really easy because they play so much together and entertain themselves a ton. However, my #3 is the BIGGEST mama's boy and he is just sooo cuddly and affectionate and I know that if I had another soon, it would be really hard on him and I am not willing to do that right now. I think we are going to revisit the topic of another child when he is closer to 3...although dh says he is more than done!!

Advertisement

Momofboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #12
allye
Technicial girl extraordinaire
seller

My Mood:

Well ...

See my sons were born in 94,96,98 ...and my youngest son is autistic...
My oldest son was VERY jealous of his brother when he was born, and again tossed the jealous streak with his younger brother...

With all of my sons, I co-slept, I didn't breastfeed my boys though they did not take to it...

However, with this said..
I noticed things became easier when my fourth child came along. I think boys and girls are very different. My DD#1 was VERY fearless, and she did EVERYTHING early on, and I don't think my sons were prepared for that (she crawled at four months, walked at 7 months!!! was running at 10 months , crazy!) but my oldest son always showed his jealous streak (and DD was born in 2002!)
I think as well that my DS did not want me to have anymore, but he kept it to himself... my sons and my daughters have different fathers - and my sons' father remarried in 2002 and had a daughter of his own in 2003 (long don't want to go there !!!) and my oldest DS had a heck of a time with that fact that my DD was born in Dec 2002 and his other sister was born in March of 2003...he still has a hard time with it.

For me however, i've noticed that it is easier with more. To be honest, its so much fun! I mean I am completely nuts when I say this, that I don't think im done and I think in a couple of years another LO will come along, boy or girl I don't know.

I think its fun too because when they are older, they love to help out with the new LO. My dd loves to play and help out with her little sister, who's now 7 months old. She LOVES her to pieces !!! She loves her brothers too...

)Oi I ran away with this comment, oopS!

Allye:: Mama to 5 ::
allye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #13
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allye View Post
Well ...

See my sons were born in 94,96,98 ...and my youngest son is autistic...
My oldest son was VERY jealous of his brother when he was born, and again tossed the jealous streak with his younger brother...

With all of my sons, I co-slept, I didn't breastfeed my boys though they did not take to it...

However, with this said..
I noticed things became easier when my fourth child came along. I think boys and girls are very different. My DD#1 was VERY fearless, and she did EVERYTHING early on, and I don't think my sons were prepared for that (she crawled at four months, walked at 7 months!!! was running at 10 months , crazy!) but my oldest son always showed his jealous streak (and DD was born in 2002!)
I think as well that my DS did not want me to have anymore, but he kept it to himself... my sons and my daughters have different fathers - and my sons' father remarried in 2002 and had a daughter of his own in 2003 (long don't want to go there !!!) and my oldest DS had a heck of a time with that fact that my DD was born in Dec 2002 and his other sister was born in March of 2003...he still has a hard time with it.

For me however, i've noticed that it is easier with more. To be honest, its so much fun! I mean I am completely nuts when I say this, that I don't think im done and I think in a couple of years another LO will come along, boy or girl I don't know.

I think its fun too because when they are older, they love to help out with the new LO. My dd loves to play and help out with her little sister, who's now 7 months old. She LOVES her to pieces !!! She loves her brothers too...

)Oi I ran away with this comment, oopS!
I think haveing a big family would be fun as well... always somthing going on.. ... the most kids anyone in my family has is 4.. and on my husbands side it's 2 and that's us. lol.. his mom and dad are both only children and then it's only him and his sister.. who has a 7yo..

but another thing I guess I should have added in the OP.. is.. Money, you think it's "cheaper" I know with my son we havent dished out as much money.. becuase I know about consignment shops, and things like that.. with my daughter EVERYTHING was new.. lol.. but I know it will vary from person to person..
Old 01-09-2007, 11:19 PM   #14
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Each new addition has been tough for me, until I get used to it....nb's are hard...
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 AM   #15
Hitchkids
Registered Users

My hardest transitions were adding number 2 and number 6. Number 5 was the easiest. We switched to a more AP style of parenting around the time number 3 came along and that actually made things easier for us. You don't have to worry so much about what to do with the baby when the others need you. You just take them with you. You are not as sleep deprived as with co-sleeping you actually have a chance to sleep. The only hard part for us is when an older one still wants to be in our bed as we are not comfy with an older child sharing a bed with a newborn. But we've managed to either have them sleep with a sibling instead, in a small bed on the floor of our bedroom or on the nights they MUST stay with us, my husband keeps them next to him on the outside of the bed so they can't get near the baby. But going from 2 to 3 was really not that hard.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #16
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

i agree with one of the pp.i say the more the merrier. I have 7 and never notived much differnece no matter how many...I have done home daycare and had more than just my own as well..when the house is empty I almost don't know what to do with myself! I come from a fmily of nine sibs so i am used to a crowd. DH has been bringing up the idea of one more..I am kinda on the fence so we shall see....I pretty much feel done being pg..if I could adopt that would be another story...
milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #17
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started off with 2 (twins) so it wasn't that much more to go from 2 to 3. It actually seemed EASY for me since there were 2 of us and only 1 of him. The twins were in preK when he was born so we had a blast over the summer and then they started a full day K program. It was actually a great transition for us. Going from 3 to 4 was a bit more challenging since I was totally out numbered! LOL Going from 4 to 5 was a cake walk, esp since I was a SAHM. Working would have been harder. Going from 5 to 6 should be fun
Old 01-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #18
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

Who knows? You could go from 2-4 like we did! Talk about a change!

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #19
tyles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1 to 2 (dd was 2.5 when ds was born) was a breeze. Going from 2 to 3 was easy (dd was 8, ds was 5.5). Going from 3 to 4 (dd was 10, ds1 was 7.5, ds2 was 2) has been one big challenge and 6 months later, I'm still trying to get the hang of it. I can happily say I have reached my limit.
Do I owe you feedback?! Don't hesitate to remind me!
tyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #20
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went from 2 to 4 overnight practically (marriage DH who had custody of his kiddos)), then we added 3 more in quick order, and the DH's oldest moved in with us in 2005 making our number of kids up to 8. Comparing my single mom days of having 2 (then ages 3 and 7) it is much easier to have a bunch as they help each other out and always have a playmate. Even the younger three who are home every day play together and they are each 20 and 22 months apart (from ages 1-3 and 3-4.5 is what I am referring to). I agree with PP that once you get to this number, your mind is already gone so what the heck, add more! I get tickled when I meet a mom of a big family either IRL or online because FINALLY someone knows what it's like! It can be hard at times, but when they get older it gets easier as they can help you around the house more. The only downside I can think of is the noise level, it can get REALLY noisy in here if all ten of us are in the same general area and the kids are roughhousing as they like to do (throwing each other around, etc).
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote