Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
trinmama
Registered Users
seller

damp bum

ok, maybe it's because i left dd in the dipes too long (it was my first two days of trying out cd's...we're really just feeling it all out to see what we want to do, but fwiw, it's not as rough as i though, tho she hasn't had a bm in a cd yet) BUT, i noticed her bum was considerably more damp in a wet cd than a disposable. and she had more red marks around her legs...possibly i bundled her in too tightly (afraid of leaks! hehe). but what about the damp bum? is that common, or was she in the dipe too long? and how do you unstink a washer? i think mine still smells a little like pee/amonia after washing the dipes...
thanks!

Advertisement

trinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: damp bum

What kind of diapers are you using? What is the fabric that is against baby's skin? Microfleece and suedecloth have a stay-dry effect. It's not perfect, but they do work pretty well. I didn't believe it until I went to check a diaper one day and couldn't tell if it was wet or not without lifting up the doubler and checking the back side of it. I do still feel like DJ is a little more damp in the morning than he was when using sposies, but it doesn't seem to bother him and I feel a bit better about that than the chemicals in the sposies that keep them dry, kwim? I don't notice it at all during the day, only the first morning diaper so I usually wash him off with a warm wash cloth and let him "air out" for a bit before replacing the diaper. He likes to sit on the potty these days so I'll frequently take off his nighttime dipe and then let him sit on the potty or just play naked in the bathroom while I'm getting dressed and ready to go, then put on a new diaper with a little powder to make sure he's good and dry. LIke I said, it bothers me a lot more than it does him and he's old enough to let me know when something's bothering him!

As for the washer, not sure what to tell you there. Do the diapers still smell?
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #3
trinmama
Registered Users
seller

I have tried swaddlebees and kissaluvs and bum genius. the diapers don't smell now that they've been washed, just the machine, a tiny bit i think.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

For the smell in the washer, you could try putting some vinegar in the rinse cycle. That's what I was told to do and it worked, lol. As for the dampness, was it only after she woke up in the AM that she felt more damp? Or was it during the day? Its possible that it was a diaper with an inner that just didn't wick away the moisture as well. If they are used, they may have some buildup in them. I only use solid PUL pockets and AIOs these days, everything else seems to leak for us. What kind of diapers are you using?
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
vick
You know me; not much with the damseling.
seller

Could the machine smell just be psychological - i.e. you were kind of expecting it so it's there? I don't ever smell anything in my washer, even when I just do the first cold rinse without detergent before I do the hot wash...

And yeah, sometimes DD has a damp bum, especially when I've just got her in a fitted without a fleece liner during the day, or, as the PP mentioned, that first a.m. change after wearing a CD all night. I just wipe her down with a Baby Bits' wet wipe, and then a plain water wipe, and then let her air a little. But since I'm almost always just putting on a clean fitted, I usually don't worry too much about it.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
trinmama
Registered Users
seller

It was dampness during the day. They were used and new dipes, kissaluvs and swaddle bees and bum genius with a MOE insert. I'm going to try again with them today...

as for the washer, it doesn't seem to smell anymore, so maybe it was psychological? lol