Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #21
worldsaver
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Mirena IUD

I have a consult appt tomorrow. I'm probably going to request the Para guard (non hormonal) because I get bad migraines.

Thank you for sharing all your strories and for asking this!

I have 2 friends who have the Mirena and they both love it. They both said it really hurt to get put in though

Advertisement

worldsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #22
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had mirena for over 2 years. Lighter LONGER periods but not a cramp in sight (I used to have ones so bad that i wouldn't move for a day unless it was to get up to puke..

I did bleed for 6 months after getting. It happens. It's one of the side affects listed. But i also got it while i was still PP bleeding and I had Lost alot of blood when having miranda, so I always thought i was probably at a higher risk for that side affect anyway. lol

It was annoying, but I wouldn't give up my IUD for anyone. lol
As for people getting pregnant on it, I've heard of it.. but then again i've also heard of people getting pregnant after getting thier tubes tied.. so nothing is 100%, but this is damn close.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #23
allye
Technicial girl extraordinaire
seller

My Mood:

Yeah the gyno said this is the next thing to getting your tubes tied.
I've already told him IF I get any major side effects im taking it out and taking my chances LOL im not going through what I went through while being on depo.

My mom was trying to talk me out of it, because she had a employee have one, and it slipped and ruputered her, she almost died.... but that was also almost 20 some odd years ago and im sure they have changed from then til now.

I've also heard of people becoming pregnant on it, one of my DH's relatives got preg on it not once but twice - but it was the copper, not the mirena...

Allye:: Mama to 5 ::
allye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #24
mommyto2presidents
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the paragard. I've also had one ectopic before (was on BCP), but I didn't want hormomes while BF DS, so didn't get the Mirena.

For those of you who knew people who got pregnant while using IUD's, did they always lose the PG? My intuition tells me I can't fully trust this thing. Can't say why, and my tuition isn't exactly "on", but it's just a sense I have. Weird huh?? I am hoping to convince DH for us to have one more before he does anything permanent...

BTW, did you get it? If so, how did it all go??

Last edited by mommyto2presidents; 01-09-2007 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask how the appt. went...
mommyto2presidents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #25
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had friends get pregnant while using IUD's, but never with Mirena, they all had the non-hormonal ones. Every friend I have who has Mirena loves it. I am the only one who has had the long term spotting, and at this point that is even gone. It did not hurt for me getting it put in, but I had just passed an 8.5lb baby through my cervix 8 weeks earlier, so that might have had somethign to do with it. My midwife said Mirena does not have the same risk of uterine perforation as the other IUD's because it is a soft plastic. The only risk is during insertion, after words even if it moves you are only at risk for pregnancy. She said even then it would be really rare, because the hormones are still being released.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #26
allye
Technicial girl extraordinaire
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto2presidents View Post
I have the paragard. I've also had one ectopic before (was on BCP), but I didn't want hormomes while BF DS, so didn't get the Mirena.

For those of you who knew people who got pregnant while using IUD's, did they always lose the PG? My intuition tells me I can't fully trust this thing. Can't say why, and my tuition isn't exactly "on", but it's just a sense I have. Weird huh?? I am hoping to convince DH for us to have one more before he does anything permanent...

BTW, did you get it? If so, how did it all go??
it went fine, I didn't feel any cramping or anything like that LOL so far its okay...

Allye:: Mama to 5 ::
allye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:04 PM   #27
mommyto2presidents
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I have had friends get pregnant while using IUD's, but never with Mirena, they all had the non-hormonal ones.
Were any of them able to maintain the pregnancy?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #28
BellaRia
Registered Users

Actually I know a lady from another mommy board who got preggie with the Mirena in, her baby just turned 1 not too long ago. The IUD did have to be removed though.... she was lucky.

I wasn't so lucky.

EDD:09.22.07 1****5****10***15****20****25****30****35****40 think pink!
BellaRia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #29
jcraig11
Registered Users

I've had my mirena for 4 months. I love it. I did have some light spotting, rarely enough to wear a liner, for the first 2-3 months. I've had no cycle that I can detect and no cramping.

I had really negative side effects with every type of BCP that I have tried. I was sure I would get the same with the Mirena, but I have not. Insertion was a piece of cake--one contraction-like cramp and then nothing. I can feel my strings, but they don't bother my DH or myself.
jcraig11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #30
mommyto2presidents
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaRia View Post
I wasn't so lucky.
I'm sorry to hear that...