Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:27 AM   #21
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should my DD start school??

I just want to add that I teach high school. When I was making my decision I looked at data at my school. In general the younger students were in higher level classes and performing better. I also talked to some of my younger seniors and they didn't have anything negative to say. I teach both the highest level at the school and the lowest level.

At the lower level the older seniors are done with school, bored with the material and therefore tend to be behavior issues.

Not trying to get you to send your dd - just wanted to discuss some of the statements made about being young catching up in later years. Ask yourself why you want to keep her home...because she's your baby and your not ready or because she's not ready.

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #22
christy005
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebekahG77 View Post
Maybe you could call the teacher; don't tell her your daughter's age, just ask for some readiness indicators that would show whether or not she's ready. I know there are studies for this and that, but I believe that every child is different. Some might do fantastic going early, some would be better to wait.

In fact, call a couple different teachers from different schools and see what they say. You'd get an overall picture then.

ETA: I also love the pre-K suggestion. Great idea, birdseye!
This is what I would do before deciding.
Good luck!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #23
Bee Green Naturals
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Haven't read all the replies but I think it just depends on your child and how they are doing so far socially and with pre-k.

My son is a Oct 20th birthday and just turned 6 but is in 1st grade. He is reading at high 2nd grade level already at over 100 words per minute (End of 1st grade they need to be at 60). And is doing early 2nd grade math. So he's excelling very well despite his young age. We knew early on in pre-k that he would be fine to move on and very bored if we waited.

Already he is having trouble staying focused because we feel he gets bored with lessons he already knows so well... like blending. Teacher wants to have him checked for ADHD but doesn't believe that is the issue for sure.. she also thinks it might be simple boredom since he is doing well academically.

So I say just go by what you think she is ready for and ask her pre-k teachers what they think.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:45 PM   #24
kkrpata
Registered Users

I didn't read all the posts, so I don't know if someone else mentioned this. But along the lines of thinking down the road, if you start her now, she'll be 18 when she's a senior in high school. I have a friend who turned 18 her senior year, moved out of her parents house, and because she had no one to "send her to school" didn't graduate on time... But as far as how it would affect her right now, I think you should talk to her preschool teacher. They probably know how she would do in school right now. I know it's scary mama!!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #25
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I've never heard a parent say they wished they would have sent their child a year early,
I wish I would have sent my 2nd dd early. She has a March birthday so it was no question she'd be 5 when she started, but she should have gone a year earlier. K is all day every other day here, she passed after 16 days of classes. She spent her entire K year in it for something to do. In Grade 1 she was in a 1/2 split & spent most of the year doing Grade 2 work in addition to the Grade 1 work. She's in Grade 2 now(no split class & there are no gifted classes anywhere here) & doing fine, but not really being challenged. Next year she'll be in a split class again & have better access to Grade 4 material.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #26
house-of-boys
Registered Users
Formerly: bsmama
seller

My Mood:

Would you rather your daughter have an extra year of adulthood or an extra year of childhood?

We picked option 2, childhood, and did not send Simon to kindergarten. We did this after checking with the kindergarten teachers and finding out their opinions.
house-of-boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #27
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

unless she's having issues (emotionally, mentally, etc) I don't see why you would feel she's not ready.
kinder @ 5 yrs is our plan, i graduated hs @ 17

ETA: quoting this in agreement
Not trying to get you to send your dd - just wanted to discuss some of the statements made about being young catching up in later years. Ask yourself why you want to keep her home...because she's your baby and your not ready or because she's not ready.

Last edited by ChicanaCoqueta; 01-31-2009 at 05:27 PM.
ChicanaCoqueta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #28
turtle2who
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmama View Post
Would you rather your daughter have an extra year of adulthood or an extra year of childhood?

We picked option 2, childhood, and did not send Simon to kindergarten. We did this after checking with the kindergarten teachers and finding out their opinions.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #29
BrandiMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it's a personal decision to make. In our area we have a 4k program that my DS will be going to since his bday is Sept 24 he misses the cut off and will be 5 a month after starting. Do you have something like that in your area?
He is 3 now and loves going to preschool. My mom was really pressuring me to put him in preschool when he turned 2 and I knew he wasn't ready so I kept him home with me until this year and he did fantastic starting. I know preschool is different than real school, but I would not send my child early just because I could.
BrandiMommy is offline   Reply With Quote