Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #21
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pizza dough -- What's your favorite from-scratch recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelynn View Post
Something I do when in the mood is add a crushed clove of garlic and maybe a tsp. of oregano to the dough. Makes it extra savory and yummy!
Ooh, that does sound yummy!

Advertisement

stacim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #22
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aread View Post
HHMM I think it's a Super Walmart. Super is not in the name though. I find it by the deli counter. They have a cold bin a sandwiches and different things. I just happened upon that dough one day!
Must be. We don't have a deli counter in our WalMart. I think the presence of a couple of LARGE family-owned supermarkets in our area is keeping Super WalMart and Super Targets away.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #23
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use the one out of The Joy of Cooking. It's great and has never failed me!
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #24
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancifulFanny View Post
I use the one out of The Joy of Cooking. It's great and has never failed me!
I'd love to try it if you have time to post the recipe. I don't have that cookbook.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2007, 06:03 AM   #25
Laniemel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do two cups of flour, 2 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 tsp salt, 1 1/2 cups warm water. Then I add garlic powder, dried parsley, dried oregano, dried basil, and just a few chili flakes. I stir that together until mixed completely and then I add more flour stirring, then kneading until it gets a good dough consistancy. Let it rise an hour in a greased bowl and then roll out (using flour) to desired thickness.

I like rolling it out pretty thin, putting on a pizza pan with the edges hanging off; then I lay small slivers of cheese around the edge of the pizza pan and roll the dough over. It makes a stuffed crust pizza. This dough recipe is also good for bread sticks. Roll out and cut to desired thickness. Brush butter on top and cook for a few minutes on 400. For the last few minutes, cover with chedder cheese, and let melt.
Laniemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #26
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacim View Post
I'd love to try it if you have time to post the recipe. I don't have that cookbook.

Thanks!
1pkg yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1 1/3 c warm water

Add:
3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tblsp olive oil
1 Tblsp salt

Mix by hand or on low speed for about 1 minute to blend all the ingredients. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or on low to medium with the bread hook until the dough is elastic and smooth.
Transfer to a bowl coated in olive oil and turn once to coat. Cover and let rise for about 1 - 1.5 hours.
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Punch dough down and divide in half. Let rest for 10-15minutes then form into pizzas or calzones.

I have never had this recipe fail for me. My favorite way to make it is to grill the crust then finish in the oven. I make a bunch (6-8 crusts), grill them then freeze them. Then when I want pizza I just pull on out and put on sauce and cheese, etc and voila...tastes like brick oven pizza.
Grilling it tastes best on my charcoal grill. It doesn't get much flavor from my gas grill.

HTH!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:56 PM   #27
stacim
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! The grill idea sounds great. I had read about it in a bread book I got from the library, but have never tried it. I also like the idea of baking the crust and then freezing. That sounds like a great time saver on those days that I haven't prepared well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancifulFanny View Post
1pkg yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1 1/3 c warm water

Add:
3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tblsp olive oil
1 Tblsp salt

Mix by hand or on low speed for about 1 minute to blend all the ingredients. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or on low to medium with the bread hook until the dough is elastic and smooth.
Transfer to a bowl coated in olive oil and turn once to coat. Cover and let rise for about 1 - 1.5 hours.
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Punch dough down and divide in half. Let rest for 10-15minutes then form into pizzas or calzones.

I have never had this recipe fail for me. My favorite way to make it is to grill the crust then finish in the oven. I make a bunch (6-8 crusts), grill them then freeze them. Then when I want pizza I just pull on out and put on sauce and cheese, etc and voila...tastes like brick oven pizza.
Grilling it tastes best on my charcoal grill. It doesn't get much flavor from my gas grill.

HTH!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:34 AM   #28
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacim View Post
Thanks! The grill idea sounds great. I had read about it in a bread book I got from the library, but have never tried it. I also like the idea of baking the crust and then freezing. That sounds like a great time saver on those days that I haven't prepared well.
Thanks - to grill it just brush one side with olive oil and throw it on the grill. Then brush the other side. It only takes a couple minutes a side and watch it so it doesn't burn!