Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 PM   #11
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: Oh so nice...and a WWYD?

I was sitting there thinking they should only need my milk, KWIM? I also remember that there have been times in history that they say "Oh you need this for your teeth." and it did nothing or caused damage. I really don't think I'll do it.
Oh look, Lola's crawling, LOL!!!

Advertisement

Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

I agree with everyone else. Personally I don't think they need it yet. They'll get introduced to it eventually, and the time between now and then isn't going to make a difference (as far as benefits go).

But, I'd do your research as well. There have been big issues around here about flouridated water. In fact, our city WON'T add flouride to water for... well, this could turn into a debate, so I'll just leave it at that!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:02 PM   #13
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you have no flourise in your water you might want to think about it. My first DD was raised overseas for 5 years and had no flourise. She has SO MANY problems with cavities! We are very consistant with brushing, ect. My younger DD hasn't had one cavity yet. Google flouride and see what you come up with.

PSA: Eating Bison is better for health and the environment. Google it!
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:03 PM   #14
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

We have flouride in our water, but they don't drink water. Only mommy milk, so they get no fluoride.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #15
laniesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielblewis View Post
If you have no flourise in your water you might want to think about it. My first DD was raised overseas for 5 years and had no flourise. She has SO MANY problems with cavities! We are very consistant with brushing, ect. My younger DD hasn't had one cavity yet. Google flouride and see what you come up with.
I wouldn't be totally convinced that it was purely the water that caused this. Our city water does not contain flouride. Our older DD has no issues with cavities, never has. Our middle DD is an entirely different story. Her teeth are prone to cavities. They've had the same everything; breastmilk, water, food, etc. Nothing was ever different (they're only 20 months apart). The dentist mentioned the possibility that it's gentics. DH's family has a history of "weak" teeth. Some people are just prone to cavities. I'm not saying that I'm for or against flouride, just food for thought...
laniesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #16
milniks7
Registered Users
seller

Our water is not flouridated apparantly but I have never given my kids the flouride drops the Dr told us to use because they hated it..and of my 7, so far only one has EVER had any cavaties and it was suggested that she "inherited" my family's bad teeth since dh has no cavaties at 40 and he is not vigilant in his tooth care! I am WAY better at taking care of my teeth than he is and have always been prone to cavaites..I think some pople just have "good" teeth...
milniks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:52 AM   #17
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmomy2dom View Post
We have flouride in our water, but they don't drink water. Only mommy milk, so they get no fluoride.
I say no because like you say - they are only getting your milk right now. There's no need to introduce bottles simply to give them flouride. That doesn't make sense to me at that age.

We have a well and had our water tested to see how much was in our water naturally. The answer was that there is virtually none. We have drops and I put some in his milk sippies sometimes, but my ds is over 2.

I say go with your gut feeling on this - you're the mom.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #18
sienna
Registered Users

That is assinine. Your kids might benefit from flouride so i wouldn't avoid it altogether when and if the opportunity arises, but i would sure as heck NOT pump and give bottles for the express purpose of flouride. That could cause weaning for crying out loud.

I have a friend whose kid never ever had flouridated water and it was discovered at like 3 that she had a mouth FULL of cavities. She needed ROOT CANALS and sedation (obviulsy) it was very expensive and traumatizing. So some flouride at some point is an idea. Every kid won't get cavities, obviuosly, but some will b/c of deep grooves in teeth that some have it can't always be prevented no matter what the diet.

S

Last edited by sienna; 01-11-2007 at 08:42 AM.
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote