Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #11
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why! Why! Why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
ok... here's my FWIW...

First off, i'd say get rid of the oreeos and the doritos. they're not doing anyone any good, they're full of artificial colors, flavors and scary preservatives, and if those aren't even an option she might start to get a little more serious about food.

the other thing is that for a lot of kids presentation of food is more important than what it actually is. like "ants on a log" - a piece of celery with peanut butter and raisins on top. or anything "their size" little mini pizzas from an english muffin with sauce and cheese on top. smoothies that she gets to drink through a fun twisty straw or a special cup - you can stick almost anything in a smoothie and as long as it's got some vanilla yogurt and some fruit and isn't like brown or something, most kids will gulp it down. you can even call it a milk-shake and treat it like it's a special treat. i cut bananas up and slice them long ways down the middle, and then make "sandwiches" out of them by putting some kind of nut butter in between. my daughter thinks this is the coolest thing in the world. you can make pizza at home pretty easily. if you don't want to make the dough, you can buy it frozen or buy bobolis, you put the sauce and cheese on, and let her "dress it up" with healthy options like tomatoes and olives and peppers and stuff.

and my kids will eat *anything* if i let them dip it in ranch dressing or ketchup dips are a great way to get kids to eat veggies. melt some cheese and milk and give them some cut up carrots or celery or whatever to dip into it. or give them graham crackers and let them dip it in flavored yogurt. slices of apples or bananas or crackers that they can dip into nut butter (DD's fave is cashew, followed by almond - she doesn't groove on peanut butter much at all) it is a big hit here.

also, have you tried to involve her in food preparation? kids are often much more excited to eat when it's something they've helped to make. my DD is always soooo proud when she helps make something - has to announce to anyone who will listen we make a lot of banana bread and she loves to help me measure and pour the stuff in, to mix it up, and then to taste it as soon as it's cool. she never ate it before i let her start helping with it, but now she begs to make some.

ooooh - just thought of two more. 1) frozen fruit! my kids love to eat frozen fruit straight out of the bag! and 2) when you make smoothies, make an extra big batch, and then make popsicles out of them. my kids think it is so awesome that they can eat popsicles whenever they want!
Yeah that.

Advertisement

mandikaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I forgot to mention...I was a single mom for 4 years and worked full time. My daughter was with my mom all day since I lived with them. I had no idea how much junk food my mom was giving her. By the time she was eating solids, she had already had her first bit of chocolate.

When I got married and dd was 4, I was now in a house of our own and buying the groceries. I eat fairly healthy...anyways, the first two weeks were horrible for our dd. I coudln't figure out why. THen realized she was having the same symptoms I did when I quit smoking cold turkey. Shakes, headaches, moodswings, etc. It was from the junk, chocolate and pop. She's doing great now and is 7 but there is no way I would let my little ones have junk enough to know what they're getting and ask for more. I'll admit I let my son who is 10 months have a couple tiny bites of my chocolate ice cream, but he was teething and I thought since it was there it might help. Aside from that...we use natural fruits and juices to sweeten things but try to do more veggies and whole grains. Kids when older than 1 will eat when hungry.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #13
pixiepunk
Registered Users
seller

mandikaake - my DD is super sensitive to "junk" food as well. especially sugar and chocolate. i can almost always trace times when she acts up, doesn't listen, is hyperactive, etc. to something i let her eat that i shouldn't have.

i don't know if anyone has ever seen the documentary "super size me" but there is a section of that film where they talk about a school for "problem kids" - basically a last resort before jail kind of place. they got a new director or something who decided to completely revamp the cafeteria at the school to only fresh, whole foods. and within a very short time period the amount of behavior issues dropped dramatically, there were fewer fights, fewer kids acting up in class, etc. it's truly amazing how much our food can affect our behavior!

check out this link: http://www.feingold.org/program-pg.html

a lot of kids are even diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and it turns out to be a sensitivity to food additives

ok.... stepping off the now...
pixiepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #14
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is really neat! The thing that kills me is how much water we're supposed to have daily, then kids don't get to drink it at the schools. Just another reason why I'm glad we homeschool. My 7 year old drinks water like it's going out of style as do I . LOL! How can we have healthy kids when they can't even replenish their fluids?