Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
adamuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Twins at 35 weeks.......any problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Yeah, I had contractions from 24wks till I delivered at 35. They were strong and sometimes frequent with more than 10 in an hour. I was put on procardia and told to wait it out as long as I could. I did. I was given the steriod shot at 32 wks or so due to high blood pressure, they thought they were going to have to take the babies.

Mine were 35wks. Born vaginal. Both came home with me 48 hours later. I'll tell you more later. One just woke up and is crying....

Okay, back....so my DD was 4lbs 7oz and DS was 6lbs 9oz (big difference we didn't expect and no explaination for). DD no NICU time and DS only had about 14 hours in the NICU. Both came home 48 hours later, but my DS had reflux induced apnea and stopped breathing several times, turning blue and all. He was admitted to the hospital for 24hrs when he was 4 days old and then went home on an apnea monitor which he was on for a few months with no episodes at all. It only happened while he was eating and we knew what to look for so were able to prevent from happening again. Both had a very hard time latching and I had to pump and give them bottles for the 1st 6 wks. BFing was very, very rough in the beginning and I was told by the LC that is very normal with 35wkers. I totally agree with the pp. Even though we didn't have any major problems and the babies didn't have to stay in the NICU, 35wks is really on the edge for having issues. Almost all of the other twin moms I know who's babies were born at 35wks stayed in the NICU for at least a few days and most were a week or two. I would never have opted to have them at 35wks. (not that you are) Even with my painful contrations that were coming stronger and stronger and more and more frequent, I would have kept them in if I could have. It was like I was early labor for weeks, months really since it last 11wks. Good luck!!! I with nothing but the best for you and your babies.
Did the doctors say that he wouldn't of had those problems if you were able to cook them longer?

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I didn't have twins, but my dd was born at 35 weeks being induced. She weighed in at 4.9 and did not spend any time in the nicu.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My contractions started at 24 weeks. I was hospitalized 3 times for a total of 2 months. I was on mag 3 times, terb twice, and procardia for 4 months. I had 2 rounds of steroids at 24 weeks and 1 round at 30. at about 30 weeks i was 3cm and 75% effaced and my contractions became regular, so i was hospitalized for the durration.every 3 minutes around the clock, i had contractions even on all my meds. At 33 weeks they did an amnio to check for lung maturity. A(boy) came back as *very* mature. B(girl) came back as *very* immature. Her # was what they would have expected from a 28 weeker. They planned to do another at 34 weeks. I felt different one day (33w4d) and asked to be checked. I was 5cm and 100%, so they did an emergency csection (A was breech).

both weighed 4lbs 9oz and were able to breathe on their own right away. they were under oxy hoods for 24 hours, on IVs for 48 hrs, and had feeding tubes for about a week. they were in NICU 15 days total.

I know, had I been able to bake them one more week, they would have avoided NICU altogether. They were both miraculously mature for their gestational age, though. My 1st DS was born at 35w6d and he had more trouble breathing than they did.

I went through hell, literally, for the majority of my pregnancy. My body was totally shutting down, but I never opted out even when they told me I could. When it got really bad and I was delirious from the pain (they maxed me out on pain meds. nothing helped) I reminded myself that it was much better for ME to suffer than them. I wouldn't wish what i went through on my worst enemy, but I wouldn't go back and change my decisions, either.

Hold on as long as you can. Take it one day at a time. Even if their lungs ARE mature, try to wait, mama! NICU is horribly hard on so many levels, even if you just have growers/feeders.

NAK
I am living the dream selling Plexus! Message me for info about a line of products that can help your family achieve overall wellness. Free shipping for all my DS mamas! Join my team today and find financial freedom! I have! http://shea7.myplexusproducts.com

Last edited by baby1577; 02-02-2009 at 04:28 PM. Reason: added NAK so i didn't look drunk
baby1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
adamuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby1577 View Post
My contractions started at 24 weeks. I was hospitalized 3 times for a total of 2 months. I was on mag 3 times, terb twice, and procardia for 4 months. I had 2 rounds of steroids at 24 weeks and 1 round at 30. at about 30 weeks i was 3cm and 75% effaced and my contractions became regular, so i was hospitalized for the durration.every 3 minutes around the clock, i had contractions even on all my meds. At 33 weeks they did an amnio to check for lung maturity. A(boy) came back as *very* mature. B(girl) came back as *very* immature. Her # was what they would have expected from a 28 weeker. They planned to do another at 34 weeks. I felt different one day (33w4d) and asked to be checked. I was 5cm and 100%, so they did an emergency csection (A was breech).

both weighed 4lbs 9oz and were able to breathe on their own right away. they were under oxy hoods for 24 hours, on IVs for 48 hrs, and had feeding tubes for about a week. they were in NICU 15 days total.

I know, had I been able to bake them one more week, they would have avoided NICU altogether. They were both miraculously mature for their gestational age, though. My 1st DS was born at 35w6d and he had more trouble breathing than they did.

I went through hell, literally, for the majority of my pregnancy. My body was totally shutting down, but I never opted out even when they told me I could. When it got really bad and I was delirious from the pain (they maxed me out on pain meds. nothing helped) I reminded myself that it was much better for ME to suffer than them. I wouldn't wish what i went through on my worst enemy, but I wouldn't go back and change my decisions, either.

Hold on as long as you can. Take it one day at a time. Even if their lungs ARE mature, try to wait, mama! NICU is horribly hard on so many levels, even if you just have growers/feeders.

NAK
Thank you for sharing and PRaise God that your little ones are so healthy! It's so encouraging to hear other stories. I will do MY BEST to continue as long as I can. Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #15
rkirkeby
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuch View Post
did your water break or why did you delivery at 35 weeks?
I had severe toxemia. Hard BH contractions starting at 28 weeks. Blood pressure through the roof....they thought I would start having seizures. They tried to induce, but that wasn't successful & the girls heart rates started dropping...so they had to be delivered before something tragic happened to either them or me.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #16
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My twins were born at 34w3d (on their own when my water broke) and were 4lb 15oz and 6lb 1oz. Neither had breathing problems, at least not associated to preterm birth. Baby B inhaled some fluid on his way out (very quick delivery) and was on room air in a hood for a day and then both were kept for jaundice treatment until 6 & 7 days when we went home. They were very healthy, never had problems due to being born early and tripled their birth weight by 4 mos. Oink oink! LOL
Also, I had preterm labor starting at 23wks and was on Niphedipine for 11wks, bedrest for 10wks and hospitalized for 2 weeks between 28-30wks and on a Mag Sulfate drip and Terb shots as needed. I dialated all the way to 4cm and had I dialated another 1/2cm they would have taken me off all meds and let me deliver at 28wks. VERY scary!
And I was also 16 when I had them, started out under 130 and dropped down to the 110's from morning sickness and didn't start gaining until I was 20wks. And I knew a mom of twins who was about 5' tall and weighed less than 100lbs not pregnant. She carried her twins to full term! And another mom of twins who went PAST DUE (back in the 80's) with her twins and she's only 5'2" and was 18 at the time.
I personally would wait till 37wks unless your life is in danger (kidney failure, PreEclampsia, etc) to deliver. The longer those babies bake the better and you could actually take them home with you rather than leave them in the NICU. That's a heartbreaking feeling!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #17
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

I would hang in there as long as you can mama. I was hospitalized for preterm labor at 24.5 weeks with DD (regular contractions, 50% effaced and +fFN), then had regular contractions at home from about 27 weeks until I delivered. My cervix didn't change much, just gradually from 32 weeks on, mostly just effacement. I was SO uncomfortable and SO exhausted, and SO sick of having contractions, plus I am diabetic and was on insulin, which was also getting old. I was so done with being PG by the time I was 34 weeks, but I still hoped she'd hang in there because I knew that the longer she cooked, the better off she'd be. She came on her own at 36 weeks. I did have an induction scheduled at 37 weeks because of complications from my diabetes (concerns about how she would be able to maintain her blood sugar after birth), pending an amnio showing lung maturity, but she didn't want to wait.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #18
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuch View Post
Did the doctors say that he wouldn't of had those problems if you were able to cook them longer?
Yes. The apnea was induced by him not being able to swallow properly without having some reflux issues. Lots of babies have reflux issues, but this type is definitally more common in premature babies according to the pulmonalogist and neonatologist. Also, his short stay in the NICU, which resulted in them giving him formual even though I specifically said nothing but BM, was due to mild breathing issues caused by his prematurity. Their nursing problems were 100% due to prematurity according to the LC. Plus, they were finally able to nurse well just after their original due date passed, which is also what the LC said would probably happen. I agree with pp. Unless your health or one of the babies is at serious risk, I'd keep them cooking until at least 37wks if possible. Often, it's taken out of our hands and there isn't anything we can do about it. If that happens, you may have some small hurdles, but everything will be fine. Ultimitaly, you've done a great job so far and you just have to pray and let God take care of them. If you can, keep 'em cooking.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
Sernade
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would hold them in as long as you can. Really it is better for them. If the doctor decides to take them due to risk to the babies health, that is different. I am also very small framed (5' 2") with a short waist. There was 'no more room at the inn" so to speak but I kept them in to 37 and 3. They were only taken via C-section due to my boy having bloodflow issues. I couldn't breath, had trouble peeing, had preterm labor that was stopped at 30 and 33 weeks, put on bed rest, etc etc etc. I had family come and help for the last 2 weeks and thankfully I was never admitted to the hospital. However I would have done it in a heartbeat to keep them inside. They were born healthy with no NICU stay- weights of 5 lbs 3 oz for my girl and 4 lbs 11 oz for my boy. My boy is now in the 20% for his age and my girl is slower and in the 10% for her age. Still both are healthy one year old babies and worth all the suffering they caused. Good Luck!
Sernade is offline   Reply With Quote