Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
jrpbrown1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Finding a sitter on craigslist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
We found our part-time nanny on CraigsList. But, we did an interview, a background check and called references.
Did I give the impression I would not be doing this as well?

I'm not looking for someone to sit tomorrow.

Sorry if I wan't clear about that. One women replied right away and seems great. Notice the use of "seems". I was thinking of meeting her at her house so I could check things out. She has a toddler herself, lives with her mom, went back to school for a new career.

I was also thinking of having whoever we hire over a few times while I am home and working upstairs before leaving them alone with my kid. Then transition to afternoons out with DH, because DD has never had anyone other than us put her to bed. Then move to nights out if it works out. Is that totally paranoid?

You ladies have confirmed that I really need to keep my eyes and ears open if I persue this. Thanks!

Advertisement

jrpbrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpbrown1 View Post

I'm not looking for someone to sit tomorrow.

Sorry if I wan't clear about that. One women replied right away and seems great. Notice the use of "seems". I was thinking of meeting her at her house so I could check things out. She has a toddler herself, lives with her mom, went back to school for a new career.

I was also thinking of having whoever we hire over a few times while I am home and working upstairs before leaving them alone with my kid. Then transition to afternoons out with DH, because DD has never had anyone other than us put her to bed. Then move to nights out if it works out. Is that totally paranoid?

You ladies have confirmed that I really need to keep my eyes and ears open if I persue this. Thanks!
Thats a GREAT idea!!! goodluck and i hope she works out.
also do the come home early to"catch and see for yourself" how things are running while your not expected to be home i remember seeing on like montel or something and it was tlaked about just dropping by w/o the sitter knowing to check on things, keeps them on there toes if they arent doing there job right and next time they wont know if you will be dropping by again out of knowehere..lol
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

FS: Size Medium Lucky-Baby pouch sling - FUNKY Print!! LN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpbrown1 View Post
I wasn't trying to attack you, I was just trying to share how we used Craigslist and made it work. Everyone else was saying that they wouldn't use it, I thought you would like another opinion. I didn't at all mean that you wouldn't do those things, just saying that we did. I'm sorry if my comment was brief, I was NAK.

I'm glad you found something promising.

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think its a big deal, just do a background check and ask for references, from previous employees(non relatives)
Old 01-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #15
orangemnms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have two WONDERFUL daycare kids, and their mom found me on CL!

The first time we met, there was in instant connection, and we have become good friends in addition to me being her daycare provider.
orangemnms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #16
calapitters
Registered Users

My Mood:

I got my babysitting job by repling to a CL ad. The mom interviewed me and we just clicked. She's really into AP and Montessori type things, so we have the same philosophy about child rearing. She checked my references and I had to agree to a background check. Plus she lets me bring the baby with me (dd is in school) . I don't think there's anything wrong with it if you're careful. I'm sure that there are plenty of ppl like me who want to spend time with their LO's and make a little $ doing something they enjoy.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #17
jrpbrown1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
I wasn't trying to attack you
Oh, I didn't feel attacked at all, no worries mama. I reread my original post and I realized that I hadn't said that I would do those things. So, everyone reading it would have an equal probability of assuming I was or wasn't going to check refs., etc. and I just wanted to clarify.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Also, thanks to the pp for mentioning the "try it out" feature on sittercity. I wasn't aware of it.
jrpbrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #18
momma2three
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cool Re: Finding a sitter on craigslist?

Well, I have gotten several daycare jobs from craigslist. I didn't post, but I reply to posts looking for someone if it's a good fit. I think it's a great way to find people. All of the people I sit for are fantastic and we hang out other times as well. I get some new friends this way! I am very paranoid and if the tables were turned and I was looking for a sitter I would:
--Meet her at her house: You learn a lot about a person by their house. Pay attention to the discipline or lack thereof when she deals with her on child (so have an interview..but an informal playdate one so you'll be there about an hour and get to see how she interacts with her child and yours and how she handles things). How she childproofs...is she very strict or one of those moms who hardly watches the kids or gives in to every request? Plus, is she a tidy person?

--Background check and references!! I know you said you would do this. I don't know how many people asked me if I had references and I told them I did and had them ready for them at the interview and they never asked for them, but hired me anyways. They never did a background check...and interviewed me for about 10 mins. I was totally shoked but had about 5 interviews and they all hired me. They just got lucky I wasn't a psycho, but I have no clue how they felt okay leaving their kids with a complete stranger like that (especially since on of the kids was a 3 week old preemie, hello?? Please check my references..some psycho could've easily taken off with their teeny-tiny precious baby...she was so adorable and so tiny!!).

--My last advice is the first babysitting job, have it while you are there. If she is watching them at your house, have her come over and watch them while you clean or something for 2 hours....you get to hear how she handles things, see how she follows your instructions, etc. Don't just stand there watching her, be in another room getting some stuff done, but you can hear some things here and there and it will really put your mind at ease when she's babysitting if you have an idea of what's happening at your home while you are out.

That's all! That's my 2

Last edited by momma2three; 01-11-2007 at 06:30 PM.
momma2three is offline   Reply With Quote