Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #131
cherylchoo's Avatar
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: a Texan in the northern Detroit 'burbs
Posts: 24,967
My Mood:
Re: back to basic... we saw our shadow....

Ok, I watched the Dirty Jobs about the diaper service. I just wanted to know what they did different than we do, since their diapers sit for a week in a closed dry pail/bag with their customers.

First, of all, YUCK, most people did not even attempt to plop the poo. And people used them to clean things, etc. so poop was not the only stains to remove. And the smell nearly knocked out the host and crew.

Second, they had industrial machines that used industrial chemicals, but said they were very similar to what we use at home. The machines do *13 WASH CYCLES* to get them clean. But since they are industrial machines, that only takes two hours (600 lbs dry weight at a time). Then half an hour to dry. Goes through a manual quality check, and any stained diapers get washed again, but the percentage looked pretty low to me.

So there you go. If you want to wash once a week, dry pail, and not plop your poop, wash your diapers 13+ times.

Advertisement

__________________
Detroit-area SAHM to Rose 12/03, Ginger 11/05, and little Ian 4/08.
cherylchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #132
cherylchoo's Avatar
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: a Texan in the northern Detroit 'burbs
Posts: 24,967
My Mood:
Re: back to basic... we saw our shadow....

The crochet soaker is absolutely adorable. The ruffles are the best part. I wondered about the cord, what do you mamas do when they start untieing your knit or crochet woolies? Double knot? Replace with elastic? Get one of those clippy plastic things on a shoelace?
__________________
Detroit-area SAHM to Rose 12/03, Ginger 11/05, and little Ian 4/08.
cherylchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #133
MaMaMeA4's Avatar
MaMaMeA4
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: oz
Posts: 5,649
My Mood:
Re: back to basic... we saw our shadow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
Ok, I watched the Dirty Jobs about the diaper service. I just wanted to know what they did different than we do, since their diapers sit for a week in a closed dry pail/bag with their customers.

First, of all, YUCK, most people did not even attempt to plop the poo. And people used them to clean things, etc. so poop was not the only stains to remove. And the smell nearly knocked out the host and crew.

Second, they had industrial machines that used industrial chemicals, but said they were very similar to what we use at home. The machines do *13 WASH CYCLES* to get them clean. But since they are industrial machines, that only takes two hours (600 lbs dry weight at a time). Then half an hour to dry. Goes through a manual quality check, and any stained diapers get washed again, but the percentage looked pretty low to me.

So there you go. If you want to wash once a week, dry pail, and not plop your poop, wash your diapers 13+ times.
You crack me up Cheryl!

Just in case any one cares - I've made 4 new size fitted for ds2 - and I them! I've got 6 more cut and ready to sew - hopefully I'll have time to finish them tomorrow. I also got a couple bamboo pfs that are a nice inbetween infant and regular size and I them too! I've got 6 Tickety Tu smalls and 3 WAHM made pfs on the way. Once they arrive I think I'll be ready to phase out my infant pfs! Then I'll have to decide if I want to keep them for doublers or try and sell them. My diaper stash is starting to get a little pricey!
__________________
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< KARI <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
Child of God, Daughter of the King, Princess of the Kingdom Wife to Corey, Mother to 4
Huge Diaper Stash Sale!!! FSOT: Diapers Wool Yarn Covers
MaMaMeA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #134
mom2piddle's Avatar
mom2piddle
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,842
Re: back to basic... we saw our shadow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
Ok, I watched the Dirty Jobs about the diaper service. I just wanted to know what they did different than we do, since their diapers sit for a week in a closed dry pail/bag with their customers.

First, of all, YUCK, most people did not even attempt to plop the poo. And people used them to clean things, etc. so poop was not the only stains to remove. And the smell nearly knocked out the host and crew.

Second, they had industrial machines that used industrial chemicals, but said they were very similar to what we use at home. The machines do *13 WASH CYCLES* to get them clean. But since they are industrial machines, that only takes two hours (600 lbs dry weight at a time). Then half an hour to dry. Goes through a manual quality check, and any stained diapers get washed again, but the percentage looked pretty low to me.

So there you go. If you want to wash once a week, dry pail, and not plop your poop, wash your diapers 13+ times.
I can't believe I missed that

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo View Post
The crochet soaker is absolutely adorable. The ruffles are the best part. I wondered about the cord, what do you mamas do when they start untieing your knit or crochet woolies? Double knot? Replace with elastic? Get one of those clippy plastic things on a shoelace?
I've heard of ppl rethreading it to where the ends were in the inside...you could rethread it to where it ties in the back...or add elastic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMaMeA4 View Post
You crack me up Cheryl!

Just in case any one cares - I've made 4 new size fitted for ds2 - and I them! I've got 6 more cut and ready to sew - hopefully I'll have time to finish them tomorrow. I also got a couple bamboo pfs that are a nice inbetween infant and regular size and I them too! I've got 6 Tickety Tu smalls and 3 WAHM made pfs on the way. Once they arrive I think I'll be ready to phase out my infant pfs! Then I'll have to decide if I want to keep them for doublers or try and sell them. My diaper stash is starting to get a little pricey!
pics pls!
__________________
Jennifer~tattooed mama to 5 fabulous kids!
mom2piddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #135
slaloms's Avatar
slaloms
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 8,188
My Mood:
Re: back to basic... we saw our shadow....

Damn, I would have totally wanted to see that episode of Dirty Jobs. That sounds pretty gross
__________________
Carolina, wife to Thunder
and mama to Bailey Marie (5), Shea Harper (4),
and Ezra Thunder (2)
slaloms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #136
cherylchoo's Avatar
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: a Texan in the northern Detroit 'burbs
Posts: 24,967
My Mood:
Re: back to basic... we saw our shadow....

I forgot to mention on the Dirty Jobs thing that they check the Ph level of the diapers when they come out of the dryer. It's supposed to match whatever baby's skin normally is (they didn't say what number). If it doesn't, it gets washed again (13x). I wonder if there is a way to test Ph level of your diapers at home that isn't cost-prohibitive? So people like Bethann who have laundry problems can check them, and see if they need to add an acid (like vinegar) or a base (like baking soda) to make it the right level.
__________________
Detroit-area SAHM to Rose 12/03, Ginger 11/05, and little Ian 4/08.
cherylchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #137
smaccalaska's Avatar
smaccalaska
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: in the Land of the Midnight Sun and/or Noon Moon
Posts: 3,312
My Mood:
Re: back to basic... we saw our shadow....

Hi, ladies. It's tomorrow most places and I'm just getting to posting my first post of today. I'm so on top of things, aren't I?
__________________
I'm Sara: mom, wife, desk jockey teacher again
smaccalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:42 AM   #138
kristini2's Avatar
kristini2
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,765
My Mood:
Re: back to basic... we saw our shadow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaccalaska View Post
Hi, ladies. It's tomorrow most places and I'm just getting to posting my first post of today. I'm so on top of things, aren't I?
If it makes you feel any better, my first post of the day is after yours. It's been a busy day around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja*smom View Post
Man it's been a loooooong day here. We spent most of the afternoon in the ER.
Oh my.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katedanzer View Post
I just had to share my accomplishments.......we just held in a diarrhea poo without a PUL cover
Welcome Sarah!!! I'm so glad you and E have joined the thread. My 1yo get's so excited whenever you post pictures of him. Woohoo!! Great news that the prefolds are working for you!
__________________
Mama to three sweet girls -- 9.5-yo, 7-yo and nearly 3-yo
kristini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #139
deshablue's Avatar
deshablue
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 625
My Mood:
Re: back to basic... we saw our shadow....

B2B Question:
Hello Mamas! My dd has been wearing adorable dyed Pink Yellow edged GMD PFs and they are just about too small to pin...would you suggest trifolding w/o pins or snappis, or changing to a red or brown edge GMD PF - Help me please!
Thanks!
__________________
deshablue
Loving wife to JC, God Loving, CDing, BFing, Thrifty, Crunchy, SAHM to AG (7) TM (5) SC (4)& IA (2)and ST (NB)
deshablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #140
cherylchoo's Avatar
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: a Texan in the northern Detroit 'burbs
Posts: 24,967
My Mood:
Re: back to basic... we saw our shadow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshablue View Post
B2B Question:
Hello Mamas! My dd has been wearing adorable dyed Pink Yellow edged GMD PFs and they are just about too small to pin...would you suggest trifolding w/o pins or snappis, or changing to a red or brown edge GMD PF - Help me please!
Thanks!
If you can't pin, you definitely can't snappi. You can pin smaller diapers than you can snappi.
IF it's absorbent enough, and your LO has ploppable poo, trifolding will last you until it isn't absorbent enough any more. But if you don't have ploppable poo, you will be washing covers more often.
The red will probably seem a little big at first, but she will grow into it very soon. You will probably have to fold it down to start, tho.
__________________
Detroit-area SAHM to Rose 12/03, Ginger 11/05, and little Ian 4/08.
cherylchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.