Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
danimoo43
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Eek. Cholestasis! Can I still carry out my birth plan??

So I have cholestasis, again.

But this time I was planning on a natural childbirth with no interventions, and some changes in usual newborn procedures.
Like no Vit. K shot, delayed cord clamping, no pitocin shot, and I also planned on encaplsulating my placenta.
BUT Now I'm not sure if its STILL best to do those things, esp. regarding the delayed cord clamping and vit. K shot.

Supposedly, the increased bile acids prevent clotting, making vit k. more necessary... but i'm not completely convinced. Also, there is an increased change of jaundice for the baby (so would letting the placenta blood go back to the baby, really be the best thing?)
And i'm worried that with the increase in bile acids, that my placenta would not be fit for consumption...

Also, they will probably induce at 38 or 39 weeks, because the increased risk of still birth. I'm planning a hypnobabies birth, and REALLY REALLY dont want pitocin... Anyone have any SURE ways of natural induction???

Does anyone have any experience with cholestasis? (IE coping with the itch!!)

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:
Re: Eek. Cholestasis! Can I still carry out my birth plan??

I'm not sure of any natural means of induction that are surefire, although Pitocin isn't even surefire, KWIM? Maybe you could request Cervadil the night before (gel to help ripen the cervix) and see if that encourages contractions? You could also try lots of nipple stimulation to see if you start contracting that way. DO NOT let them use Cytotec, even the manufacturer says it should not be used during pregnancy because of the increased risk of uterine rupture, yet quite a few OBs use it anyway. It's a dangerous drug when used for induction.

If my baby were at greater risk for having a problem with their blood being able to clot, then I would probably go ahead with a Vit K shot. Most babies have no need for it, but sometimes it can be beneficial. As for the cord blood, I thought it actually helps reduce jaundice. The blood is the baby's blood, not the placenta's blood, so I don't think you have to worry about it being contaminated by bile acids. Not sure about eating the placenta.

One of my friends had two successful Pitocin-induced vaginal births without pain meds. She used Hypnobabies and said it really did help her a great deal.

Another friend had cholestasis with her second and third children, and took Actigall for the itching during pregnancy. She was adament about inducing by 37 weeks, because that's when the risk of stillbirth really starts to increase. Both of her babies were perfectly fine.

I'm sorry you're going through this mama! It's tough when you want to do things naturally, but have to induce for medical reasons.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

it may not be your dream birth, but you still get a precious little bundle at the end and that's the best anyone can hope for. I don't have any advice, just wanted to offer
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the placenta blood is the babys blood to begin with and think about it, if the babe has less of their own blood and has to work harder to make more, then if it IS jaundiced it wont have to work as hard to get rid of the billi, kwim?

take evening primrose oil at least vaginally, use a few every night. take bromelain pills. these will help your cervix with at least softening, making it easier to kick you into labor. then when closer try the nipple stimulation and as much sex and orgasming as you possibly can.

i hope you can figure it out and get it all so you can still have a great birth.
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
mykidsteacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I couldn't tell from your post how far along you are, and not sure where you are, but a friend of mine just recently had a homebirth and she had choleostatis.

She's in Florida, so this was easier for her, but she found incredible relief from the sun. Getting outside and exposing as much skin as modestly possible helped her immensely. (she's had it in a couple of other pregnancies as well--this was her 9th--and has scarring from scratching in her sleep).

Towards the end, they had a week of rain and it came back, but once the sun came out, she was back outside and it subsided.

Her birth wasn't induced (they kept a check on her liver function numbers), and the baby was born naturally, in the tub. I don't know if they did the vit k or not, I can ask her.

Best wishes to you.
Tina, HS'ing Mama to 4 dc, Baby #5 with Jesus 2/09.
Stocking Heartland Dreams
My Photobucket My Blog Follow me on Facebook!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
danimoo43
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Mindy~* View Post
the placenta blood is the babys blood to begin with and think about it, if the babe has less of their own blood and has to work harder to make more, then if it IS jaundiced it wont have to work as hard to get rid of the billi, kwim?

take evening primrose oil at least vaginally, use a few every night. take bromelain pills. these will help your cervix with at least softening, making it easier to kick you into labor. then when closer try the nipple stimulation and as much sex and orgasming as you possibly can.

i hope you can figure it out and get it all so you can still have a great birth.
How do you take the EPO vaginally? Do you just put the whole pill in?
I've been taking it orally, so hopefully thats been helping already. I'm 35+5weeks and getting induced on the 24th, so hopefully I can start my birthing on my own, the night before...
DH is in iraq, so no cervical softening for me!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
danimoo43
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
I couldn't tell from your post how far along you are, and not sure where you are, but a friend of mine just recently had a homebirth and she had choleostatis.

She's in Florida, so this was easier for her, but she found incredible relief from the sun. Getting outside and exposing as much skin as modestly possible helped her immensely. (she's had it in a couple of other pregnancies as well--this was her 9th--and has scarring from scratching in her sleep).

Towards the end, they had a week of rain and it came back, but once the sun came out, she was back outside and it subsided.

Her birth wasn't induced (they kept a check on her liver function numbers), and the baby was born naturally, in the tub. I don't know if they did the vit k or not, I can ask her.

Best wishes to you.
Thats amazing, I've never heard of the sun helping with the itch. I'm going to try milk thistle and dandelion root, before I take the actigall, I only have about 2 and a half weeks until a 38+2week induction. If you get a chance to ask her about the vit. K I'd be very interested to know what she did.
My Dr. does not really think that cholestasis increases the risk of hemoraging THAT much, but others seem to think so... There is A TON of conflicting information regarding ICP, and its wayyyy frustrating.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimoo43 View Post
How do you take the EPO vaginally? Do you just put the whole pill in?
I've been taking it orally, so hopefully thats been helping already. I'm 35+5weeks and getting induced on the 24th, so hopefully I can start my birthing on my own, the night before...
DH is in iraq, so no cervical softening for me!
the epo softens, too..and..you *could* try for the rest of it but i dont know if youre comfy with that.

yeah, stick a few pills in there but make sure to put them as close to your cervix as possible!
some people open them and stick them in, or squirt it in, but for me, they melted and opened between the 10 feet from the bathroom and bed, so i didnt bother opening them first, i figured it wouldnt run out as much if i hurried up and laid down. i f theyd just been liquid, id have had it everywhere!
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote