Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
amydiane
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: WWYD? (MW, OB, etc)

DH and I went on Monday to check out the birth center. We didn't get to take the full tour since a mama had just given birth a couple hours before, but they invited us to come back if we wanted to see the rest of it. Anyway, it went really well. They gave us a lot of info and then let us ask questions. They had answered most of them already, but I had a couple more and I felt really comfortable asking and we liked the answers we got. Basically it was pretty much what we expected, and DH is on board with the idea (assuming insurance will cover). We got to meet both the midwives, and one of them (who is also the owner) also had a placental abruption at 25 weeks with her son. So she's quite familiar with that, which is good. She called the consulting OB while we were there, and I do have to schedule a visit with him so he can officially review my records, but he said that it sounds like I should be fine to deliver there.

But of course there may be a snag. I asked about continuing to see the peris so that on the off chance I do end up in the hospital early, I'll have docs I know and who know me, instead of the doctor of the day like last time. They said that they were totally fine with that, but the peris might not be. It sounded like they've run into some docs who aren't willing to co-manage. So DH and I figured we'd just ask the peris and see what they say and go from there.

Here's the thing though - my appointment next week isn't with a peri, it's with a regular OB who I haven't seen before. So I don't even know if she'll be able to answer for the peris. Honestly, I don't even know if I'll be scheduled with a peri again since things are going well and they've told me I'm on the low risk end of their patients. Which is fine, but then why couldn't I continue to see a MW like I had been? I tried asking when I called, but I could only ever talk to a receptionist, who couldn't really tell me anything.

So we're going to try talking to the regular OB next week since that's about all it looks like we can do, but we're not sure we'll get any answers then either. And we're not sure what we'd do if they refused to co-manage with the BC....there aren't a lot of peris in this area, and I think that's the only group that delivers at the hospital with the NICU we'd want to use. DH seems especially uncomfortable with the idea of going without the peris, but I think he also understands how I'd feel if they bullied me into staying.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
kelseyjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like you have this mostly figured out. I was going to suggest meeting with the birthing center to see if they would be willing to take you at 36 weeks. You could make sure that they have all of your information and history so that at 36 weeks you could just switch over. Sounds like if your doc is fine with co-managing with the birthing center that you are set! I hope that it all works out for you.
kelseyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyjoy View Post
It sounds like you have this mostly figured out. I was going to suggest meeting with the birthing center to see if they would be willing to take you at 36 weeks. You could make sure that they have all of your information and history so that at 36 weeks you could just switch over. Sounds like if your doc is fine with co-managing with the birthing center that you are set! I hope that it all works out for you.

I was wondering the other day, what did you decide about the 17P shots? I started mine last week and it really wasn't bad at all. Probably the least painful shot I've ever had, and I didn't have any side effects except for some soreness in the area over the following day or two. I was supposed to have my second today, but the roads are horrible with ice and snow and I didn't want to risk getting in an accident. Especially since I would've had to drive what is normally 30 minutes in one direction to take DH to work (took him almost an hour this morning), then what is normally 40 minutes in the opposite direction to get to the OB! They rescheduled me for tomorrow morning.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
amydiane
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeums View Post

I was wondering the other day, what did you decide about the 17P shots? I started mine last week and it really wasn't bad at all. Probably the least painful shot I've ever had, and I didn't have any side effects except for some soreness in the area over the following day or two. I was supposed to have my second today, but the roads are horrible with ice and snow and I didn't want to risk getting in an accident. Especially since I would've had to drive what is normally 30 minutes in one direction to take DH to work (took him almost an hour this morning), then what is normally 40 minutes in the opposite direction to get to the OB! They rescheduled me for tomorrow morning.
Jury's still out....I'm still leaning towards doing it, DH is still leaning towards not. I've been trying to find info about it being used when PTL isn't spontaneous, and I haven't found much. So I'm currently not convinced that it will help, but it doesn't seem like it would hurt either (unless I start getting the awful migraines, in which case we'd have to reassess). We plan on talking to the OB about it next week as well. Glad yours are going well!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #15
amydiane
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well I had my appointment with the OB today. It went pretty well, though we unfortunately didn't get all of our questions answered. She did answer most of them and I liked her, though I chickened out on asking delivery questions. The big one that she wasn't able to answer was about co-managing, of course. She said that if the peris told me before that I could, then she didn't think they'd go back on that, but that I'd have to clear it with them. So I have to wait until I actually have an appointment with one of them, and I don't know when that will be. It'll be at least a month since my next appointment is with another regular OB. In the meantime, I'm in limbo with the BC....I don't know yet how they'd feel about me transferring later, or if it will affect anything as far as insurance goes (they charge a flat fee to discourage you from going without prenatal care, but I'm guessing insurance might not be too happy about paying their full fee plus whatever they're paying the current OBs). So I guess I'll call them on Monday and see what they say. Ugh, I'm just so annoyed that I have to wait so long for an answer to a fairly simple question!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #16
melaoshea
Registered Users

My Mood:

i haven't had time to read through the other posts, someone may have already suggested this, but have you considered a doula? that way, no matter what you decide, there will be constant support for you, who respects and understands your wants and needs.
good luck!

meagan, BFing, CDing, HBing, singing, dancing SHAM to lola! 10.15.08
melaoshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #17
douxmusique
Registered Users

My Mood:

i would totally switch to the birth center if insurance/finances/medical needs allow for it. Don't take your chance at the hospital. If we could have afforded it, we would have gone to the birth center too! But when it comes to a completely covered by insurance birth at hte hospital to having to pay $3k (we looked into one in pinellas county and that's what htey told us) we had to gowith the free option. good luck!
Old 02-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

gl mama I am using a birth center and really like it! Hopefully things will all fall into place. Will def pray for you!
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote