Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #41
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone do a triple screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinc View Post
Anyone know exactly what the false positive rate is....my dumb ob tired to tell me it was only 2%.
your OB is dumb..seriously! Hope you get a new one and not just based on this. He seems quite uneducated (not knockin' your OD choice though )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinc View Post
I declined the screening and they didn't even question it...yay!! But they did schedule me for a genetic counsultation which I am questioning. I feel like so much of this is just them covering their butts. Unnecessary testing.....a huge problem with healthcare these days.
YAY!!! gl;ad they didn't give you a hard time

FWIW, I have SEVERAL nieces and nephews that were "supposed" to have issues.For our family we have seen that the rate of a test being falsely positive is pretty much one out of 4 pregnancies.Not one child has ever had any issues though One niece they even suggested abortion and kept telling my SIL to "prepare".Kept her scared the whole time and us too. That niece was born perfect and other than a weird stage of her thinking she was a dinosaur for about 6 months she never had any issues at all (she was 4 and obsessed with "Little Foot" so of course became "Sara" from the movie..It was actually pretty cute but also a tad to pull up to their house and see her sneaking around in the bushes stalking her prey : )

Oh, and I opted out of all testing..even my GBS and glucose test with the first two.Had the GBS test with my third,tested positive.Treated myself and told the doctors if it was such a big deal to them they would retest me to see if what I had did worked.They wouldn't test me again so I didn't worry about it.My midwives said that the concern with GBS is not so much with home births.Tends to be a bigger deal in hospital births.Not sure the reasoning behind those thoughts but I trusted them far more than the OB.

With my 4th I took the glucose test ONLY because the doctor ticked me off and said that He knew I would fail the test since I was (and I quote) "Obese and had very large babies" For the record I was NOT obese.I was carrying 30 extra pounds when I got pregnant I passed the test and was quite happy that I have large babies just because I grow them that way every time I was also quite happy to learn that horrid OB had to many malpractice suits brought against him and he no longer "practices medicine"

Okay,enough writing LOL! I was just checking in to see how you are doing and wrote way to much since everyone here is asleep

Advertisement

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #42
Mother Lover
Registered Users
Formerly: Mirandom
seller

My Mood:

I've never had testing done with my kids. I don't care how they are born, they are still a perfect reflection of 10 months of a new person to me. Plus I think false +'s are too common with those.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #43
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

a genetic consultation? Wonder why?
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #44
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We decided against any testing b/c we don't believe in abortion. So, what would we do with the info but worry?! Plus there is a high false + rate for most of those "genetic"tests.
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #45
Nikki*lala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't get them done either, There are to many fasle positives
Old 02-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #46
babyhope78
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did chose to get it done with Olivia. I knew about the high rate of false positives but dh and I felt better knowing if there was any possibilities of any problems with our little baby. It wouldn't have changed what we did but we did want to be aware in case she would have needed any special help or intervention at birth. We will probably get it done with this one too.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #47
jakob.makenzy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you can decline and i sure wish i would have, they freaked me out for nothing, so for about 14 weeks of my pregnancy and many ultrasounds they thought something was wrong with the baby and turned out to be nothing, did not need the extra stress

want to lose inches from you body, check out IT WORKS
jakob.makenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #48
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

I didn't read the rest of the thread, but I declined the triple screen. I would love my baby no matter what form he came in, and if something was "wrong" with him I wouldn't want to spend the whole pregnancy worrying, KWIM?
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #49
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I had the screen with dd, because we have down syndrome risk factors (pretty high - 3 cases in DH's family). We came back with an elevated chance of downs 1:99. I chose not to have amnio because of the risks to the baby and the fact that is was MY baby regardless of whether or not it had down syndrome. We would not abort.

IT DROVE ME CRAZY!!! Yes, I could read and prepare, but emotionally not knowing drove me NUTS!!! I was worried constantly, for months before having the baby.

She is perfectly healthy.

This time, I declined because like I said, it is MY baby regardless of anything wrong with it, and I will love it regardless.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #50
mykidsteacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Declined it for all, and will with this one. We'd never terminate, and while I understand the desire to be prepared, I'd rather be blissfully ignorant and deal with whatever needs to be dealt with after the birth, if necessary.

I, too, thought multiples would skew the results.
Tina, HS'ing Mama to 4 dc, Baby #5 with Jesus 2/09.
Stocking Heartland Dreams
My Photobucket My Blog Follow me on Facebook!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote