Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
osmom3kids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: At what age (if any) do you think the MMR is safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I don't personally feel that MMR is ever safe, nor do I think it is necessary. Measels, mumps and especially rubella just aren't that bad. Both mumps and rubella are more benign than chickenpox.

If you really feel you must do it do it at age 5 before the child enters school. The child will have had plenty of time to develope a stronger immune system and to have a fully developed blood brain barrier (some people believe this helps protect them from encephalitis, a well documented side effect of the MMR vaccine). The other reason to wait till 5 is because if your child does react it is easier to prove. That may sound bad, but it is so easy to overlook a 12month old losing a word or two, or acting a little off, thinking it's just part of them developing. It is alot harder not to notice a total change in a 5yr old.

MMR was not intended to be used under age 2. But it has been progressively pushed younger and younger. When I was a child it was a vaccine you didn't get till the start of school. When my oldest niece was a baby (about 12yrs ago) it was done at age 2yrs. Just 7yrs ago it was recomended at 18months, then it was pushed back to 15months, and now 12months. Why is it being pushed back? Studies have shown that children under 2yrs do not mount a correct response to the measels component of MMR, and children who are exposed to young and don't respond correctly do not respond to future doses of the vaccine either.

Very well said!!

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't vax at all, so our ds won't have it. I will say that it is likely one of the stronger vaccines out there...b/c I've had my titers(blood levels) checked recently as an adult(and I am almost 30), and the only things I am still immune to are those, and chicken pox(which I contracted naturally).

I was just reading about what Dr. Sears has to say on the issue, and he says that Merck is planning to stop making the separate shots...which really stinks IMO. If I were to get it, I'd be waiting until after five, and doing them one at a time. Anyways...out of the measles, mumps, and rubella, he says that measles is the most serious. And quite frankly, I am not scared of measles. It's basically the same as chicken pox was when I was a child. Now it's(cpx) being hyped up as this big scary thing.

Here's the link to Sears...he has a whole article on the MMR, just released last month:

http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
kittykat2481
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had heard that Merck stopped manufacturing the MMR separately back in December, which totally stinks! DS is almost 14 months old, and there's no way I would give him the MMR all together before 5, and I'm not even sure about after. I can non imagine why they are trying to make spacing out the vaxes more difficult for us!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #14
AllyAsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we will be waiting until around 4 or 5 if we do it
Old 02-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #15
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

We won't be getting the MMR at all.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #16
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

We did it at age 3, before our daughter entered preschool. I wasn't happy about it, either.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's safe whenever the Dr says it's safe. We fully vacinate due to our own research and opinions. Talk to your Dr about your individual child and they should help you decide.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #18
MadeInChina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD is getting it at 18 months.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
mother4JC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

in KS they told me that you have to have 2 shots before entering school, and they have to be so far apart. I didn't get ds done at 15(when they wanted to do the first one), but dh and I decided after 3 at least for the 1st shot.
Amy~Wife to: Josh and Mother to: Levi 2/13/00 Lillie3/29/06 Ethan 10/4/07 Evie 5/2/10 #5 Custom wet bags, Nursing Covers, & Wipes Cases, blankets, leggins, onesies I ACCEPT PP & RME Like my facebook page Threaded Thingy's **
mother4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #20
SaraG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have not given this vaccine to my 5 year old or soon to be 2 year old...I did give it to my 7 year old before I knew better and trusted that drs knew best, but now we will not be giving it to my younger two ever. I no longer believe that doctors know best and any that I have been in contact with, get their information from drug companies, and I'm sorry, but that's got to be biased information. They stay in business by selling, so why wouldn't they want to sell vaccines and tell drs enough to "sell" their vaccines. I am actually looking for a new ped, because mine changed their policies and won't see you anymore if you don't vax on their schedule.

As far as vaxing earlier and earlier...I actually read an article about that not too long ago...wish I could remember where, but they said the main reason they do this isn't because it's better for the children or safer or whatever, but because the parents are much more likely to bring the babies in for well visits and it's convenient for the doctors. If they just made vax appointments when the children are older, the parents are less likely to come in just for that.