Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
mom27wonders
Registered Users
Formerly: mom23cs
seller

My Mood:
WWYD? International travel & vaxes....

My 16yo DD is really wanting to go on a missions trip to Columbia in July....I really want her to go, I think it would be a great experience for her.

However, we have not vaxed ANY of our 4 littlest ones and I am concerned she may bring something back and give it to them. All 3 of my oldest kids have been fully vaxed as babies/kids. They haven't had any boosters for anything in a long time and this trip is calling for required vaxes for her before she can go. I think it calls for the dtap, mmr, hepA and something else....I don't know what to do or think? She would be heartbroken if she couldn't go.

Any suggestions or information welcome

Advertisement

mom27wonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: WWYD? International travel & vaxes....

I would have titers drawn first to see if she actually needs the vaccines that are being asked for. My FIL travels internationally quite often and is often told he needs certain shots. By getting titers drawn he has been able to avoid unnecessary shots while still being able to assure his employers that he is adequately protected. I honestly wouldn't be too concerned about her bringing something back to the little ones if she takes the proper precautions but would it be possible for your older one to stay with a friend or relative when she first returns from her trip to avoid unnecessary exposure to the little ones? I'd hate for her to miss out on this experience as well. I hope you are able to find a solution that works for your family.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
elabela
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally, if I felt it was a good trip(not sure wht you mean by 'mission' trip, so i can't say. If by mission you just mean youth group going to help out, then yay, if you mean youth group going to convert then.. nay. but again thats me!) then I would do everything in my power to make sure she goes.

First I would look into who is requiring to vaxes and why. Colombia has NO required vaxes, and only recommends Yellow Fever(which is a horrible, shot btw, but worth it, imo) and recommends malaria prophylactics(again recommend this as well, but look into what you give her).

Is the school/church/group requiring it? Why? get answers first, see if theres a way around it,etc.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If she has been vaccinated she won't bring home anything. Her body will/should immediately fight off those bugs she has been vaccinated for. The only way she could bring something back is if she actually caught/got sick from something.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been to Colombia a few times actually....and there are no required vaccines...some that are recommended, but definitely not mandatory.

I wouldn't worry about it personally. My son isn't vaxed at all, we travel often, he was born in Asia actually. And even if it wasn't your dd travelling, others you come in to contact with travel and meet others, etc. So there is always a risk of exposure to your other children...which isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO.

If she absolutely wants to be vaccinated, I would definitely suggest the titer tests to check blood levels first.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
AllyAsh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Xblessed View Post
If she has been vaccinated she won't bring home anything. Her body will/should immediately fight off those bugs she has been vaccinated for. The only way she could bring something back is if she actually caught/got sick from something.
agreed, do the boosters for your older DD if necessary but she shouldn't bring anything back unless she actually catches it.