Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Delayed Vaxers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckWoman View Post
All great advice.

Cases of mumps in the area. Serious enough to require hospitalization.

Does anyone know anything about polio? How common and how serious?
Polio killed thousands of children years ago, but polio is just about eradicated in this part of the world.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 10:55 PM   #12
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
The last cases of naturally occurring paralytic polio in the United States were in 1979, when an outbreak occurred among the Amish in several Midwestern states. From 1980 through 1999, there were 152 confirmed cases of paralytic polio cases reported. Of the 152 cases, eight cases were acquired outside the United States and imported. The last imported case caused by wild poliovirus into the Untied States was reported in 1993. The remaining 144 cases were vaccine-associated paralytic polio (VAPP) caused by live oral polio vaccine.
Polio Link
Old 01-11-2007, 11:31 PM   #13
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FWIW - In a 2006 multistate mumps outbreak of 1,192 pts .

6% were unvaccinated.
12 % had received 1 dose of MMR
51 % we're considered fully vax'ed
31% had an unknown vax status. So even if the n/k's were all unvaxe'd (which I doubt) that still has more in the "fully vaxed" category. Where one would place the 1 dosers, I don't know.

For this particular outbreak:
Quote:
However, complications have included 27 reports of orchitis, 11 meningitis, four encephalitis, four deafness, and one each of oophoritis, mastitis, pancreatitis, and unspecified complications. A total of 25 hospitalizations were reported, but insufficient data were provided to determine whether mumps caused all the hospitalizations. No deaths have been reported.
I am gonna go back and see what I can find for the cases in MD
Old 01-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #14
RedneckWoman
Banned

My Mood:

Now that you posted all that, it makes me think the stuff I heard about was all media hype.
RedneckWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
benjason
Registered Users
seller

I'm still trying to decide what vaccines I want to give my DS. He'll be 1 next week and we haven't gotten any yet. I will probably go ahead with DTaP because my doctor said that he once treated a child that died from whopping cough and in looking on the CDC website, lots of cases are still reported each year of whopping cough. He does treat some families that don't vaccinate but the child dying from something that could have been prevented makes we feel like not all vaccines are bad. As parents, you have to decide what's best for your children. I do like the idea of doing one vaccine at a time until you finish that series before starting something different. "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations" by Stephanie Cave has some good info on vaccines.

Last edited by benjason; 01-12-2007 at 02:54 PM.
benjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #16
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjason View Post
I'm still trying to decide what vaccines I want to give my DS. He'll be 1 next week and we haven't gotten any yet. I will probably go ahead with DTaP because my doctor said that he once treated a child that died from whopping cough and in looking on the CDC website, lots of cases are still reported each year of whopping cough. He does treat some families that don't vaccinate but the child dying from something that could have been prevented makes we feel like not all vaccines are bad. As parents, you have to decide what's best for your children. I do like the idea of doing one vaccine at a time until you finish that series before starting something different. "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations" by Stephanie Cave has some good info on vaccines.
Being informed is the best thing! Good for you for being mindful of all your options, and from what I infer from your post, for talking it out with your doctor. but do keep in mind that just because a child/person receives a vaccine does not mean they are unable to get the disease it was for. Also - speaking only for myself here - I don't feel that vaccines are intrinsically "bad" just that benefits and risks should be weighed for each individual.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:52 PM   #17
hrtoe
Registered Users

We started getting them all on schedule until he reached 1, and now I wish we would have delayed earlier. He had a fever and I think that would have been better if he were older. So now, with his future shots, I am not sure yet about the MMR or Pox vaxes. I want the rest of them...although I had read something about hep b before he was born and decided to get it, I don't think I will with the next one. SO, for the next child I will wait until at least 6 months (a study I read talked about the 6 month mark for their systems being able to handle it better, but I haven't completed reading it yet, so maybe that age will change in that study?). But, as many have said, why not wait until 2? I may do that...but why did you choose 2 as the age? I would love to know since I am in the same boat. Maybe I will wait for the rest for ds until he's 2? He's currently almost 14 months and supposed to get another at his 15 month apt. I think that we will only do one vax at a time in the future too, so it's not so much for his body to deal with at one time.

I have another question for you guys - what is the youngest age you would expose a child to chicken pox on purpose? My neice just had it and I was too nervous about it being around ds. He's got ecsema, so he is in the 'higher risk' group, so it just makes me nervous.

Momma to Kaeden (3 years) and Isaak (11 months)
hrtoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #18
benjason
Registered Users
seller

For those that wait until 2 to get vaccines, how often do you get the vaccines? Do you take them to the doctor like every other month, for example, to be able to get them all in before starting school?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #19
3beans
Registered Users

My Mood:

my older 3 were all started on time... but the baby has had nothing sop far... i think(stress think) we wil slowly start after she is 1 year.... amy
Adaline Faith 11.17.08 7lbs 2 ozs
3beans is offline   Reply With Quote