Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question about moving a child to a different room and out of crib

First of I want to say that I am a big time planner. Planning is my life.

In January I want to go back and get some of my totcycles (2 of them) and when I have the next child(ren) we know we want to move our son to our room and take his room as ours. He will be sharing a room with his sibling(s). We also plan on putting him in a toddler bed and giving the crib to a sibling.

I have been around enough to know that this is a nightmare for most parents. So I am wondering if anyone has come up with a good way to do this?

I was thinking of switching rooms with him when he is 1 year old (around his birthday, though we plan on getting a dog around that same time) then putting him in a toddler bed when he turns 18 months (next March). Odds are the earliest I will have the next child is September of 2010 though I think it will be more like November or December.

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about moving a child to a different room and out of crib

Wow really? No one has an answer to this very common problem? No one has read advice in one of those parenting books (which honestly I hate so that is why I don't have any) on how to deal with this? I am shocked!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
idigchaitea
Registered Users
seller

I think you've got a good plan. We just dealt with switching from a crib to a big boy bed-which is actually a full-size mattress and box spring! We put a gate up in his door way. It's been almost 2 weeks, and it hasn't been as bad as I thought it'd be. He'll usually get up and open the door and sometimes mess around for awhile before he'll start yelling at us. Then we go lay him back down. We put him down at around 7:30-8 and he's usually asleep by 9. He's 20 months old, and our 2nd baby will be here in a month so we needed the crib for him. We just moved to a new house so he has dealt with a room change and now a different bed. Anyways, all that to say that your plan sounds good--I don't have any advice about the room sharing though, but I'm sure someone will. Definitely make the switch with plenty of time to adjust before the baby arrives!
*28 year old mama to Josiah Liam, born 05.19.2007, Jonas Elliot, my dove in heaven, stillborn at 40 weeks 03.12.2009* www.jonaselliot.blogspot.com , and my rainbow baby Julien Reese 11.04.2010 *Married to Zac 06.11.2005*
idigchaitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think your plan is great.

Switch the room and the have the new bed in that room. Build it up as a great thing, as his big boy bed and room. Maybe include him in picking his new bedding if he is interested.

We plan to put our new baby in with DS once the baby (is born and) is sleeping fairly regularly through the night. I think it's good for kid's to share a room.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DH will hopefully be making the toddler bed (he is loving having a house so he can do "manly" things and use tools) so I may have him help with building the bed (you know create a situation where he thinks he is helping to build it but isn't really). I thought that the transition would be easier for him if he kept all the same bedding and stuff. Therefore I thought a toddler bed would be better. Now I just have to pray that I don't switch my birth pattern and have a boy again. I have given birth in this order: Boy, girl, boy, girl, boy.

I am glad that I have a good plan so far though!

I personally never had to share a room as I am an only child by my mother and by my father my siblings are MUCH younger then me (12, 25 and 27 years younger then me) so we never shared a room. So any advice for that would be helpful!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never shared a room with my siblings. My sister is 2 years older and we have never gotten along. I think that if we had shared a room as kids that we would have had to learn to get along or one of us would have not survived.