Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: How old for a "big girl/boy" bed?

we moved over our son at 18 months from a playpen to twin mattress on the floor - before he was two he was sleeping at regular height. Our second is now on the floor and has been for a couple months. With our first he'd started crawling out of the playpen so it was time!

negrapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #12
Registered Users

Originally Posted by idigchaitea View Post
We just moved DS into a big boy bed at 20 months. We have to put a gate in the doorway though-otherwise he would definitely wander around (he still wanders in his room a bit). I think I would rather have waited longer and kept him in a crib, but we need the crib for our upcoming baby. He doesn't wander in the middle of the night though. So if your child doesn't seem ready when you need to make the switch, a gate in the doorway is always an option.
DH and I just talked about doing this if we don't think she'll be ready by the time baby moves into the crib. DD stayed in the pack n play until 9 months (DH didn't want to move her to her own room). With this one, I can see having him/her in the pnp until almost 6 months, but no longer than that. So, DD should be around 2.5 and I think she'll be ok for a big girl bed by then.

I like a pp's idea of having a mattress on the floor. I did mention that to DH a few nights ago, and that could be an option. Otherwise, we were just going to get a rail to put up and push the bed up against the wall so that she can't fall out (and hopefully like another pp) she won't know she can get out.
Kelly Happily married (05/05/05) mommy to DS1 (01/14/96) and DD (11/16/07) and DS2 (10/09/09) and DS3 (10/11/12)

Earning FREE gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

We transitioned my oldest son when he was 2.5 or so. He loved his crib, never climbed out and was a great sleeper so he probably would have stayed in longer but we needed the new crib for the new baby that was coming soon. We put him straight into a twin bed with a mesh guard rail and he did amazingly well. We also had to put a gate at the doorway to keep him wandering, since he knew how to unlock and open doors...I didn't want to take any chances that he would do that while we were sleeping. I'm all about keeping them in their cribs as long as possible if they aren't climbing out and seem content...why mess with a good thing? Our youngest will be 15 months this month and still in a crib.
Air Force Wifey to Joe . MaMa to Tanner (b: 12/04) & Colton (b: 11/07) .
Netsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

2-3 years old was when my boys chose to move to a toddler bed from a crib. Right now the 2yo still prefers his crib, so baby sleeps with us at night and naps in a port-a-crib in our room during the day.
No need to rush anyone that way.
mama to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2 1/2), Maia (9mo), all born at home. NO CIRC! Kids Lunches
veganf is offline   Reply With Quote