Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #11
aliks
Registered Users
seller

Re: Does anyone have a grandmother that never nursed?

My grandma nursed 2 out of 3 of her children. She didn't nurse her first because she had to work while grandpa was in the war. She passed away 2 months before my baby was born and told me to "breastfeed cause that's the best", that was one of our last conversations.
My other grandma died before I really got to know her, but I don't think she nursed since my mom has complained about her teeth being crooked from a bottle.

Advertisement

aliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
jenniferjunniper
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My grandmother did not nurse any of her children, her first was born in 57' and the last maybe 67' something like that. She used formula or milk. She was wealthy and priviledged, and wealthy and priviledged woman did not nurse their babies. Only poor woman did. It was about society, and which one you were in. In my family I have nursed my children the longest. I have nursed each for 2 years, and my youngest is 14 months old. My mom did nurse my little sister part time until she was 9 months, but that is it.
jenniferjunniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjunniper View Post
My grandmother did not nurse any of her children, her first was born in 57' and the last maybe 67' something like that. She used formula or milk. She was wealthy and priviledged, and wealthy and priviledged woman did not nurse their babies. Only poor woman did. It was about society, and which one you were in. In my family I have nursed my children the longest. I have nursed each for 2 years, and my youngest is 14 months old. My mom did nurse my little sister part time until she was 9 months, but that is it.
Intresting because my 2 aunts (the oldest of the 4) are 15 months apart (I think) and I know that when they were young (younger then 4 or 5) they lived in a trailer where it was soooo cold that my grandmother couldn't let my aunts play on the floor. She said it was very hard to keep 2 kids in bed all the time. So I don't think that my grandmother (or her family for that matter) were very wealthy. I also know that my grandmother's parents were divorced (albeit for a good reason) and I would think that would mean that she came from a poorer family.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #14
mitre10
Registered Users
seller
seller

My grandmother didn't nurse her three kids (she'll be 85 this year). I don't know about my nana, she passed away when I was young. My mom BF'd all three of us kids for a year each in the 1970s/80s.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my moms mom didnt, she was fed pet brand canned "milk" she was 15 and married almost a year and my mom was early. they had no money.

my dads mom did for 4 months and had some weird reason to quit that i cant remember but she told me when we were staying with her when my oldest was 6-7 months and she couldnt agree with me to leave my kid alone and he didnt need cow milk or food. ugh.

my moms mid 40s and my dad just turned 50.

i was nursed until almost 4 and some idiot called cps cause i didnt drink "real" milk and my mom freaked out

Last edited by *~Mindy~*; 02-13-2009 at 10:58 AM.
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
auspicious
Registered Users
seller

Yup... I remember being really surprised when my grandma told me she "never made enough milk to feed anybody." My dad, 2nd oldest of 4, was born 1955.
Baby #2 due August 2010
auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #17
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

YES! My grandmother had 4 chilren and never nursed any of them, not even for a split second. I feel bed thinking of that! But then I remember that it was a different era back then. Babies were born in pristine hospitals, on doctor's timetables, then whisked away to the nursery immediately, where they were usually given sugar water, mothers were given pills to prevent their milk from coming in, etc. It was a different time altogether. Nursing just wasn't the norm. I mean, women were expected to vacuum in high heels and a dress! - the thought of exposing a breast and then allowing your baby to suck on it must have been mortifying for the "proper" woman back then.

All I can say is I am sure glad times have changed! I know nursing is still not as accepted as a lot of people (me included) would like, but it has come a long way from those times.

My grandmother, when I talk to her about nursing says things like, "I wish someone had told me how good that is for babies. I think it's wonderful that you nurse yours. I wish someone would have knocked some sense into me back then. I didn't know any better."

My own mother only nursed my brother and I for 3 months or so each. While it's great that she nursed us at all, she's not very knowledgable about nursing and has NEVER made an effort to help me with any of the nursing problems I've had. She's always been cold and aloof about it... even suggesting I wean b/c it's "weird" and "embarassing" for her when I NIP.

I think each generation of mothers has different ways.

ETA:

A very old friend of ours (about 87 or so?) says his sister was raised on horse milk because his mother got very ill and could not nurse her. He says she's only had one broken bone, which split, didn't break in two, and he attributes that to the horse milk. Not sure that it has any merit what-so-ever but it was an interesting story from an old friend.

On DH's side, his mother nursed both of her children until they were about 3 mos each. Then they were weaned. Pretty much the same story as my mom with her kids. Both my MIL and my own mother are big pushers for water, rice cereal and solids.

My other grandmother I don't think she nursed either. She also had 4 children. She had to work and could not nurse them.

And, the last thing I wanted to say, my Aunt was the first in our family to nurse. She is a career woman and a mom and she would pump so her son could have momma milk while she was at work. My grandfather cracks up laughing when he tells me about her "milking machine" !!! Which I think is hilarious.

Last edited by Kiliki; 02-13-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #18
ACB
Registered Users

My Mood:

This thread is so interesting! As a first time mama, I asked my mom if my grandmother BF'd. She told me, "No," which I thought was weird, because she was poor and lived in a rural area. However, my grandmother actually did BF both her children. I was shocked when it came up in a conversation we had. Its just weird to me that BFing is never discussed. She nursed my mom for one year and would have gone longer, but the dr told her my mom needed to start drinking from a cup. Wha? She stopped nursing my mom's younger brother at 6 weeks due to a "breast infection" that had to be wicked.

When my mom was born, my grandfather was away in the war, so my grandmother lived at home with her parents. She said she really enjoyed that, because her own mother, who had nursed 8 babies, was there to help her. That sounds pretty darn good to me, as my own mother knows absolutely nothing about breastfeeding.
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
NebraskaGirl82
Registered Users
seller

No, my grandma didn't BF at all.

Neither did either of DH's grandmothers.

I am the only person, outside of my aunt, to BF past 6 weeks. IRL I know of only 4 people who BF past a few weeks. One of them is my day care provider, who is just the best.
NebraskaGirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #20
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

I know my grandmother who had 14 kiddos did not breastfeed. And my dh's great grandmother did not breastfeed either or his grandmother or his mom, his mom told me because he was a big baby she couldn't keep up and he was also on solids at 1 month. My mom breastfed me for about 3 months and then i wouldn't take formula so the doc said it was ok to give me 2%!!