Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
calling all co-sleepers...how do you do it? (not IT lol)

no, not that IT, i mean co-sleep

both of my kiddos have slept in the bed for the first few months but then it really stops working for us...ds is five now and he's so hard to sleep with (i've gotten kicked in the face before!) that when we stay in hotels he gets his own queen size bed! dd is three months and i usually put her down in her bassinet and then bring her into bed when she wakes to nurse, but she's not sleeping well with us anymore (fidgets and whines until she wakes herself up) anyway, i wish we could all snuggle in the bed and sleep together, but i guess my kids just aren't cut out for it?

i do have a few questions...

how and where do you put the kids to bed at night?

how many kids sleep with you?

when do you expect them to move to their own bed?

oh and of course...how do you do IT?

thanks!

Advertisement

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Bright_Life_Toys
Registered Users
Formerly: Jwugrad
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: calling all co-sleepers...how do you do it? (not IT lol)

My DD kicks and wiggles and fidgets as well. I am getting no sleep right now.

So to answer your questions:

how and where do you put the kids to bed at night? - DD goes down in her crib in the nursery at bedtime. I nurse her down.

how many kids sleep with you? 1

when do you expect them to move to their own bed? DH wants her out by a year.

oh and of course...how do you do IT? Very carefully. She generally doesn't join us in bed until after midnight.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Quagga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only co-sleep when needed now but DH goes to the couch so I have room to move away. She still wants to nurse all night this way and neither of us gets much sleep but some is better than none on those bad teething nights. However that said she did crawl off the edge last time so no more co-sleep for us!! ( I had a blockaid up but I guess she is too mobile now) Good luck.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
nm45832
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

how and where do you put the kids to bed at night? DS goes to bed in his crib I nurse him, and if that hasn't gotten him to sleep, DH will wear him down - when he wakes to nurse I get him out of his room and we go to bed together

how many kids sleep with you? 1

when do you expect them to move to their own bed? eh, I asked DH a few weeks ago, and he said he doesn't have any desire to as of now, since everything is going well - I'm thinking around 18 months ish since we will be TTC again

oh and of course...how do you do IT? not at night, lol. We make good use of our family room during nap time
niclupton.blogspot.com
nm45832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

how and where do you put the kids to bed at night?
All my kids start the night in their own beds. My older two have bunk beds and the baby is in a pack n play. She'll soon start climbing out I'm guessing so she'll be taught to lay on the big bed for sleep instead of getting her own bed. There's no room for another bed and she's too little to sleep with her sisters without falling out of bed. The big bed is a mattress on the floor that she's able to climb out of herself already. Once she is ready for her own space, she'll likely sleep with one of her sisters until she's too old for that and hopefully we'll be in a bigger place so she can get her own bed.

how many kids sleep with you?

the 13 month old ALWAYS sleeps with me, every night. the 4 year old still comes into bed with us at least 3-4 times a week. It's rare that she's not in bed with us. The 8 year old crashes on the floor sometimes when she's sick but she prefers her space to sleep. The 4 year old is very clingy and fidgety so she's hard to sleep with and the 8 year old hates it.

when do you expect them to move to their own bed? I don't ever EXPECT that they will move out. I guess if they didn't start moving into their own space around the kindergarten years I might gently start the transition for them. But so far they have all decided on their own space around 3 and gradually started getting there more often.

oh and of course...how do you do IT?
Well being that there's no one to do IT with right now, it's not difficult. When my husband and I were co-habitating it was not hard. There's a whole house to "christen" or there's always a safe spot to lay the baby or child so that the bed can be utilized. You just sorta make certain concessions(ie, being quiet, moving the baby, learning to enjoy other rooms) as a parent and this is one of them. It's not hard if you are determined to keep the spark in your love life and for me at least it's really boring to do it in the bed all the time.

Last edited by 3rockstars; 02-14-2009 at 08:08 PM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote