Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it even possible to get a 2 month old to sleep better at night?

Thanks, mamas. I guess I'm just always so worried that if she's not a good sleeper now than she won't be later. DD1 slept 8 hour stretches at this age so this is all new to me. I'll just do what I can for her and hope she figures it out soon on her own.

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Moog
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalvo View Post
Thanks, mamas. I guess I'm just always so worried that if she's not a good sleeper now than she won't be later. DD1 slept 8 hour stretches at this age so this is all new to me. I'll just do what I can for her and hope she figures it out soon on her own.
Children and babies who have their needs met when they need them met become much more secure in the knowledge that someone always will be there for them. This in turn leads to less 'am I alone?!' panic wakes during the night as they start in their own room/bed/whatever, as well as similar self assuredness in all aspects of life.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
jewelzbird
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't sleep train at all before like 6-9months at the earliest. Her patterns will change. Hang in there. I know how you feel I was there for a year and a half! Try cluster feeding every 40min to and hour in the evenings to fill up the tank. Also swaddle tightly for her sleep times. I REALLY recommend getting a miracle blanket and a white noise machine. Do you have a swing? That can help too for naps on high speed. Her sleep is going to change and things will get better. Try not to count down days or stare at the clock calculating sleep hours and minutes...you can drive yourself mad! Just go with it as much as you can and remember this will all be a distant memory all too soon. HUGS!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

i know it's hard. my 13 month old still does even come CLOSE to sleeping through the night. Not.even.close. The longest stretch she's ever slept is 3 hours. And I was shocked. She sleeps from 8-10:30 or so and then wakes up 5-6 times or more between that time and 7am. It's frustrating and hard but I seem to manage okay. We co-sleep and that definitely helps. I usually flip over with her to nurse on one side and then the other and I pass out while she nurses back down. She's a great napper who puts herself to sleep and sleeps 90minutes twice a day still but she sucks at nighttime sleeping. But she's such a GOOD baby that I don't begrudge her the nighttime waking. She's great for naps, mostly easy-going and happy and so I deal with the waking as just part and parcel of her being a baby. She'll grow out of it. My now 8 year old was the world's most horrific sleeper. Didnd't sleep more than 20minute cat naps until she was like 15months. And she totally grew out of that. The kid spent 2 hours on her bed reading a book today and went right to sleep at bedtime with no fighting. And she napped until she went off to kindergarten and still consents to laying in bed for an hour on weekends and holidays when she's home from school for a rest so I can get a child-free hour during the day. So just because she's a difficult sleeper now doesn't mean she won't grow out of it once her needs are met and she's feeling secure in our world. Just give her the time she needs to be a baby.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
leahcatherinesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama, it IS hard. I always say to myself when I am tired and overwhelmed that "the days are long but the years are so short." It helps to put it all in perspective.

I agree with pp - at her age - remember her stomach is the size of her fist and breastmilk is the perfect food so it doesn't weigh her down. She's hungry - whether for food or reassurance that all is right in her world. Meeting those needs now will make life so much easier in the future.

If it gives you any hope - we have always nursed on demand and responded to our dd. She was one who slept 2 hour stretches only forever. Now she sleeps 12 hour nights and 2 hour naps every day - I believe a lot of it comes from always meeting her needs - even when it meant I was the walking dead from tiredness.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:03 AM   #16
pantufla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/sleep.html
Old 02-15-2009, 02:23 AM   #17
RoxyRocks
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I 2nd the cluster feeding in the evening!! Max is 3 months today and he pretty much nurses from 4-6:30 non stop and pretty much sleeps through in 4hr blocks. He nurses at 9,1,4,6:30 he pretty much put his self on that schedule. I also co-sleep and honestly I really havent had any sleepless nights at all because of that & there isnt anything better then waking upwith him smiling at his Mama

BF babies at that age still need to eat every 2-4hrs so your LO is going to probably not sleep completely thru the night for awhile. Also she is crying just because she doesnt know where you are and needs you....that is the only way babies can tell you they need you because they cant talk

I know its flustrating but it will get better Mama babies sleep patterns DO change. She is still very young
Old 02-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #18
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantufla View Post
That was a very helpful link, thank you.