Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

How do you keep up with your kids' books?

I got a Day-Timer for Christmas and I am trying to get organized. Henry already has more books than I can count- a completely full 3 shelf bookcase and I'm working on filling the 2nd one up now.

I buy books cheap at thrift stores for a quarter when I see them in good shape, and I'm buying a lot of the ones I loved as a kid, like the Berenstain Bears and Mercer Mayer, etc. I have already accidently bought duplicates of some of these, because I can't remember what we have already.

I have looked for checklists online, but I can't find any. So- how should I do this? Should I just start a list on a seperate piece of paper for each series and write them down as I get them, or does someone else (fingers crossed) have a better idea that requires less writing?

Advertisement

L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you keep up with your kids' books?

I honestly can remember every single book BOTH of my boys have, so I have no need for a list.

I think once you start reading them to him, you'll remember them. We have SO many books too. Plus, we get book orders, so that just feeds my habit, LOL!

I have no suggestions for you, LOL. I'm no help, am I?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
libranbutterfly
Registered Users

I also remember all of the books we have, but you could try to photocopy the inside cover, where they have a list of the whole series, and highlight/check the ones you have
libranbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My kids have hundreds of books, really. I have bought duplicates a bunch of times too, and once I realize it I usually give one to a close friend who has children in the same age range as my own. If she has the book I donate or sell it. I buy them books so often it would really be a PITB to keep a list.

I DO however have a list of books I want to buy them as soon as I find a good deal or they get to a certain age.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #5
RedneckWoman
Banned

My Mood:

homeschool tracker.com Use the free one and just punch in the books names. Then you can mark them as read or not.
RedneckWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
DiapeyMom
Registered Users
seller

After reading them all 500 times, you will definitely remember exactly what books you have. My dd asks me to read the same book sometimes 5 times a day! It drives me crazy, but I've heard repetition is good for them. She starts to memorize it and say it with me. It's really cute and I love the feeling of having her in my lap and listening. When she brings me a book to read her she tells me "Make a lap for me mommy".
Old 01-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
A'smommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapeyMom View Post
After reading them all 500 times, you will definitely remember exactly what books you have. My dd asks me to read the same book sometimes 5 times a day! It drives me crazy, but I've heard repetition is good for them.
As a teacher I have to chime in: Yes, yes! Repetition's CRITICAL for learning to read. I worked as a tutor for a little girl they thought might have dyslexia (schools won't test til they're a certain age). Reading the same book over and over and over, they learn to memorize words and letters by shape and eventually to transfer that skill to other books. I don't think my student had dyslexia, but she did need a lot of help with reading. The trick was to keep her attention long enough to finish the story. She was the oldest of four in a super-busy household, so there wasn't a lot of quiet storytime.

So, I think it's great that you're planning for this now. But even as a teacher I don't have all the books labelled and organized. I do have duplicates, but like a pp said, I'll give them away or save them for later. Books can and do get destroyed: chewed on by the dog, pages ripped out, etc. Plus it's always cool to find a book I forgot we had!

Going to check out the homeschool list....