Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: AHHHH! My mom has shingles and I cannot take DS to see her! (bang head here!)

One of my babies broke out with cp at 8 months because my 8 yr old at the time had shingles. We weren't actually sure what the 8 yr old had until the baby broke out with cp. I also happened to be 2 months pregnant at the time. I had cp as a child so it didn't bother me or the unborn baby.

Advertisement

Kate~ Now an exhausted Mommy of 9!
ISO/IHA
tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #12
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

Re: AHHHH! My mom has shingles and I cannot take DS to see her! (bang head here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistersusannah View Post
Yeah, we want him to get them naturally, no vaccine. As for mom- she says that they itch more than anything- don't really hurt- so I quess she is lucky that way.

My SIL is taking both of her boys over tomorrow for a pox party, I am... a bit jealous. I might just have to talk to my MW and see what she says- who know, we might see mom later this week.
wow she is so lucky. Mine were absolutely agonizing burning pain. it first started with intense itching and i thought it was yeast(because it was between and underneath my breasts and we are nursing) and then I had raw patches from scratching and then blisters came up and popped and crusted over yellow and itched still and burned like mad before they popped. I seriously laid awake at night for 2 days tossing and turning and moaning because it hurt so bad and I've had two pitocin-induced natural childbirths. I'm no sissy. But it was awful.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
Okmommy06
Registered Users

My Mood:

My MIL had shingles when DS was a little under a year old. It made me kind of nervous because I wanted him to get chicken pox naturally(no vax here) but not before he was one. She told me (she's an RN) and was also told by her dr. that they aren't normally contagious unless you touch an open wound(one of the wounds from the shingles). She had it on the top of her head and DS never got chicken pox.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
sistersusannah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
wow she is so lucky. Mine were absolutely agonizing burning pain. it first started with intense itching and i thought it was yeast(because it was between and underneath my breasts and we are nursing) and then I had raw patches from scratching and then blisters came up and popped and crusted over yellow and itched still and burned like mad before they popped. I seriously laid awake at night for 2 days tossing and turning and moaning because it hurt so bad and I've had two pitocin-induced natural childbirths. I'm no sissy. But it was awful.

Mama, you poor thing, I am so sorry. So far, mom is feeling fine, other than the itching.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

oh your poor mama. How scary. My dh had it in his twenties, it was terrifying for all of us. His occured because of massive amounts of stress. His doctor told him he'd never seen a case in anyone his age, and he would be in serious trouble if he had them again. My dh isn't one to show pain, but the nerve pain was agonizing for him. for your mama. If I remember correctly, she is no longer contagious after the sores are healed.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #16
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryGnomeHome View Post
our homeopath assured me that it was safe if you personally have had cp already and are pregnant. that said, i recently had shingles and it was right between my breasts and under one and grace is obviously still nursing and none of my children are vaccinated and they never got it. i was hoping they would.(that sounds so mean and wrong but you knwo what I'm saying being a fellow chicken pox party-goer)

My OB told me the same thing when I was pregnant with my first. My best friend had shingles (end stage AID's patient) and I didn't want to be away from him till he recovered because we just didn't know how long he had. My ob told me that I was safe having had cp as a child and shingles being less contagious than cp. I am grateful because those last few months of my pregnancy were the last few that Scott was well enough to still be himself. He declined rappidly after Kearnan was born and he refused to see anyone until he went into hospice care at the very end. The shingles never did clear, he still had them when he passed. I think he held out as long as he did to see me through my pregnancy and get to meet Kearnan. Sott never let on that they hurt, and after a couple of weeks he had them wrapping around his entire chest/stomach. But he was so used to being sick, and in so much pain so often, I think it would have had to be really horrid for him to have complained about it.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote