Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
elysian
Registered Users
seller

Can anyone help me figure out what this is?

My 22 mo dd started getting some kind of strange skin reaction 2 days ago. The first day, I saw a few across her tummy. It's almost like a welt, kind of like when you get a mosquito bite & your skin gets puffy & raised around the bite. They were gone within like 30 minutes...so I thought maybe a food reaction. Then yesterday & today, she has had similar welts...just a few at a time. On her legs & once on her face. They go away just a quickly as I notice them. Some of them on her legs were narrow & long, almost like they were a reaction to a scratch. But then there was no scratch when they went away. This is kind of hard to explain. Just wondering if anyone had seen anything like this & might know what it is. I'm going to call the doctor, but I may not have anything to show him as the welts go away so quickly.

Advertisement

elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can anyone help me figure out what this is?

sounds like hives. My 4 yr old broke out in them 2 weeks ago, for no reason. I looked on the net and it said that it sometimes just happens!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes, it sounds like hives. i used to get hives as a child all the time. it could be caused by various things: environment, stress, food, etc. Mine were itchy tho. Is your LO scratching them? If not, it could even be a weird virus. DS had a rash all over his body, no itching, but it was a virus that lasted 6 weeks. Probiotics helped.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaRhi View Post
sounds like hives. My 4 yr old broke out in them 2 weeks ago, for no reason. I looked on the net and it said that it sometimes just happens!
I agree. The only rash that comes and goes that quickly (that I know of) is hives. It must be an allergic reaction to something.
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ditto. hives.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
elysian
Registered Users
seller

Update....it's been just about a week since dd started getting the hives. She has continued to get them several times a day - they always go away in about 15 minutes. They show up in various places all over her body, just a few at a time, even on her face. I've tried to figure out if it could be something she is eating, but there hasn't been anthing that she has been eating on a regualr basis, except breastmilk. She is still nursing about 4x/day. Now I think I'm beginning to see a pattern, with the hives appearing soon after bf. So, maybe it's something I'm eating/drinking?

From everything I'm reading, it looks like it would almost be a waste of time to take her to her dr at this point? The hives do not seem to bother her, but they are sure bothering me! Should I cut everything that could be causing a reaction out of my diet & slowly introduce things in a couple weeks? I'm planning on trying to wean her soon, (she's 22 months), but I think that is going to take awhile. She won't drink milk, so not bf is not an option right now. Any ideas of things I could try to figure this out? TIA
Old 02-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #7
mama516/419
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD gets hives all the time - shes got very sensitive skin . If you cuddle during your nurseing sessions the body heat can be making them come out. You may also notice them more after the bath. My DD gets hives everytime she gets a virus as it sweats out onto her skin , has your DD been sick at all ?
mama516/419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
elysian
Registered Users
seller

Well, she hasn't been running a fever, but she has been kind of clingy and irritable. So maybe she is a little sick. Something like this just drives you crazy when you don't know what is causing it!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Have you been eating anything different? Any new washing or cleaning products? Wipes solution? Wool wash? New outfir or jacket that wasn't washed before wearing? Gotta be sonething...