Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Advice on 2 issues with my 3 yr old, sleep and chapped lips

OK I have 2 separate things I need some advice on mamas. One background thing of note would be this little man has Sensory Integration Disorder and is both over and undersensitive tactily (depends on the circumstance/thing) For example he is very defensive about certain textures yet if he is doing the touching he goes overboard, he can practically maul myself or the dogs with lovins and hugs.

OK Sleep: He has as of late, about 3 weeks, started going to bed with his face burried in the pillow, as in knees tucked up under abdomen, hands under pillow and face smooshed into it. I alwasy go into to check on him after he falls asleep and I turn him (half the time he goes right back to it and I have to try again later). When I turn him to his side he always seems to be breathing heavy, no doubt from the position he was in. His OT and I as not sure if this is a need for deep pressure, although it is just a recent development, or just his newest response/way to try and deal with his horrible insomnia (not just as toddler not wanting to sleep but true insomnia, its so hard to see the nights when this is bad )
So does anyone have any ideas to keep him from doing this? I am at a loss

Next is he has the worst case of chapped lips, the lower lip is cracked and bleeds at times on most of it and the upper lip as well but mostly just in the center. The kicker is one of his calming things he does is stoke his upper lip area and this has led to him picking at both lips and they are not getting better. We believe this started as chapped lips that his picking has made worse and not just a self-destructive behavior. Our concern is between his picking at it and his very low tolerance for any chapstick, anything medicated that stings just sends him off the edge, it wont heal and also bacteria from his hands could cause an infection. I myself constantly got impetigo on my lips as a child and dont want him to have to deal with it. We are using straight petroleum jelly but even with that he couldnt make it through dinner tonight with out crying. The problem is the open parts are also on the inside of the lips where the jelly wont really stick. He is a very picky eater as well so we dont want this to make it worse.

Again any suggestions other than the petroleum, we do have a well child appt on the 30th so if it is still an issue then will bring it up of course.

Sorry this has been such a book to read, thanks anyone who has made it through. This makes my ds out to look like a basketcase and its no teven the half of it but I promise hes really a sweet guy, when hes not being a 3 yr old of course

thanks,
heidi

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Re: Advice on 2 issues with my 3 yr old, sleep and chapped lips

I am sorry you are going through this, I am wondering if bag balm will help w/the chapped lips. It goes on smooth and soaks right in, but really softens and heals quickly. I got it at the feed store.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

My fave for dry winter skin and lips is Aquafor. That stuff works miracles! It's a tad $$, but you only need a tiny bit so it lasts for a long time. My kids get really chapped lips and cheeks in the winter, so I use this before they go to bed and in the morning they wake up looking 100% better. Try some!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
BeedieWeedieB
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, I'll look into both of these. I do put vaseline on him when he is asleep, although he also picks at them in his sleep some, not as much but some.

heidi