Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
somersocial
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Vax Shedding and Childcare?

I am still unsure about my stance on Vaxing (I get sick thinking about it and I am leaning towards the no vax) - so in the mean time our 9 month old dd has only had the Hep B at birth.

I am watching a 2 month old a few days a week and he is getting his 2 mo shots on Tuesday. Should I be concerned about watching him Wednesday? I have not really spent much time researching shedding - I just remember seeing something about it somewhere.

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vax Shedding and Childcare?

what is vax shedding??? i have never heard of that. we don't vax though, i think it would be fine to watch the other one but i dunno
Old 01-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

Depends which vaxs the baby gets and what kind (live, killed). I can go look, but can't be 100% sure what he'll be getting.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Hitchkids
Registered Users

I would think it would depend on which shots the kid is getting. If it's any of the ones with a live virus in it, I might be more concerned. If it worries you at all, I would just ask if the parents could make alternative plans for the 24 or 48 hrs after shots so you'll feel better. Or just try to keep the two kids as far away from each other as possible for a little bit.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Well the ones that shed are:

-Flumist
-Chickenpox
-MMR
-Oral Polio (which is almost never given anymore)

I think there are perhaps a couple more, but I'm not sure they are on the standard shots list.

If you're the type of non-vaxing parent who isn't afraid of these diseases and wants their child to contract things like measles and chickenpox, then I wouldn't worry. My 9 month old just had chickenpox by accident ( I wasn't planning on exposing her until later) and it was seriously the most benign thing ever. No big deal at all. Her 16 month old cousin had measles, but Lily didn't get it.

So, I think it all depends on the child's immune system and the parent's willingness to deal with the disease.

Do you have sodium ascorbate on hand? Homeopathic remedies? I think these are important things to keep handy if you're planning on delaying or stopping vaccines.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
rxmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No live vaccines are given until 12 months of age. Oral polio isn't given in this country anymore. So none of the vaccines given at 2-months will cause any shedding.
Annie, pharmacist mommy to Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel baby #3 10/08, Sophia 1/10 and Isaac 6/12
rxmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Rotavirus is on the schedule now at 2, 4 and 6 mos and it is a live virus vaccine. I would personally be concerned about this one because it sheds in the vaccinated baby's poop for up to 2wks, so your whole house will be at risk of getting rotavirus for the 2wks after babe receives his shots.

One other concern I've heard mentioned is that many care providers prefer not to care for kids in the few days immediately following vaccination so that if the child does suffer a reaction, then there is no way the care provider could be blamed for it. Some DTaP reactions can cause brain swelling that looks similar to shaken baby syndrome, so that's definitely what would worry me... and there is possibly an increased risk in sids immediately following vaccination.

Anyways, those would be my concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmommy View Post
No live vaccines are given until 12 months of age. Oral polio isn't given in this country anymore. So none of the vaccines given at 2-months will cause any shedding.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
Mom2TJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the rotovirus vaccine depends on who your provider is. That vaccine is not yet even offered at my ped's office. But....my nephew did receive that vaccine, and we live in the same town....I had thought it was a vax only offered in certain parts of the country.