Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
swalker97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Chicago Pizza

DH is from Chicago and is dying for a pizza, but it is mega expensive to have one delivered all the way to SC. Does anyone have a recipe for real Chicago Pizza? It would be a bonus if you could give me a recipe for Chicago Beefs, too

TIA

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
HeavenlyHold
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicago Pizza

BJ's (our wholesale club) sells frozen Chicago style pizzas...pizzaria uno, etc.

Amber, CWAHM to Kaelin (02-07) Kiley (07-09) and Kamryn (12-11)
Like us on Facebook
HeavenlyHold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/deepdish.php

This is the recip I use, I also love Deep dish Chicago style, I lovethis, and it has been a big hit.
I use my breadmaker to make the dough and it makes it so easy, I guess not all breadmakers are alke though, I borrowed my neighbors and the dough was totally different.

Enjoy, we sure do.

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
swalker97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenlyHold View Post
BJ's (our wholesale club) sells frozen Chicago style pizzas...pizzaria uno, etc.
Thanks, but it isn't quite the same.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
Nandis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was told that this recipe was scaled down from a authentic Lou's recipe given to Food Network by Marc Malnati. I dunno about all that, but it sure is tasty. I use a 9 (maybe it's 10) inch cake pan for baking my pie and it's yummy. My DH is from Chicago, too... so I totally know how their weird desperation and cravings can get... good luck!

Windy City Pie:
16 ounces water
1/8-ounce yeast
1/2-ounce salt
2 pounds bread flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup cornmeal
Toppings:
2 cups tomato sauce, jar or homemade
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup spinach, shredded
1/2 cup grated Romano
1/2 cup sliced pepperoni
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

In a mixer combine the water and the yeast and allow the yeast to dissolve. Add the remaining ingredients except for the cornmeal and begin to mix the dough using a dough hook on low speed. Once a ball is formed mix on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes until the dough becomes elastic and smooth. Remove from the mixer and place in a bowl coated with olive oil. Allow the dough to rest for approximately 4 hours. Once the dough is rested, place on flat surface and dust with some flour.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a deep baking dish or deep dish pizza pan, spread the dough using your fingers at the bottom of the pan and make sure to have enough dough to come up the sides of the pan approximately 1/2-inch high.
Begin by placing a layer of the mozzarella cheese on the bottom of the crust. Add the tomato sauce and all of the toppings. Place in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until golden and crispy.
Serve pizza straight from the oven to the table.

PS: Lou's-to-go has a mailing list, and they sometimes run specials just for their email list. Maybe something to think about at Chirstmas- cos they tend to run holiday sales. I ordered my DH a box with 2 small sausage pies, Carson's ribs with sauce, a hotdog kit, and an Eli's cheesecake, which was expensive, even on sale, but he was SO happy!

Last edited by Nandis; 02-19-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Nandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
dvrgrl38
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm from chicago, and I dont have a good pizza recipe, but I do have a great one for Chicago Style Italian Beef:
http://www.recipezaar.com/Chicago-Italian-Beef-30484

I didn't cook it for as long as they suggest, just 8-10 hrs on low, adding the bell peppers the last couple hours. He will LOVE it!

ISO: 1 skein Bear and pants no sleep til Brooklyn
dvrgrl38 is offline   Reply With Quote