Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #311
mrsdi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thursday BSRB No Stocking Day... What to do???

Amy--nice that you had a late night dinner with your mom!

Esther--I hear ya. It's hit or miss around here when I try to whip something up with ingredients I already have on-hand. Last night's stir fry was lucky. Usually I am not so lucky.

Advertisement

mrsdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #312
idefix
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykeikis View Post
John wanted to do this because he read more on it and wanted B not circumcised. he takes the bottle.
I was against it with my first son and regret not sticking up harder towards DH, but since he has seen circ'ed area once, he was completely on board this time. In Europe it's not a common thing to do at all. My OB&GYN looked at me funny when we told her no on circ with Fynn: so you'll have one with and one without? Hey, why not?

He drank 2 ounces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starla79 View Post
I forgot internet addicted.

I had good luck with the breastflow bottles, when it came to getting D to take a bottle initially. He did terrible at home and i cried and freaked he wouldn't take a bottle at daycare, but the environment and people there were so different, he didn't have a problem. Gerber makes a bottle called the... hm... comfort flow? Something like that, the bottle itself is triangular-shaped and has a shorter, wide-base nipple, and he took to that one too. Now we use the playtex premium nursers... i hate going through the plastic things but with the whole BPA thing... i figured they're cheap, it's a little peace of mind. He still won't take an avent or anything with a longer nipple... which shouldn't surprise me, MY nipples aren't that long. D is such a boob addict, he loves the booby and he gets no bottles at home unless i've been boozing it up. I can't give him a bottle, he gives me the most heart-wrenching, sorrowful looks and cries the whole time. He'll take one from Rob though, as long as i'm not in the room.
I have to completely vanish and not say a peep. If he hears me it's over. I don't think, I have seen the breastflow nipples. I tried a new one from Nuby. It has a special nipple close to breast, but he didn't take to it at all. He wouldn't even take sip. We tried Adiri and who know what else. I have a great bottle and nipple collection. Latex nipple it is and wide neck only. He did not like the one for the narrow neck. DH had to switch bottles.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:11 PM   #313
starla79
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyshanti View Post
im sure you no as a mama to an uncirc boy
no retracting
I gently retract as far as it will go without ah... forcing it... to clean it. When he's got icky poos and has diaper rash cream on it, it tends to build up in there a little (gag) and has to be cleaned out. But i've heard about pediatricians forcibly retracting it and at each of his exams i've been ready to stop them but none of them have tried it. So that's good.

You know, the one thing i've discovered as a parent is that half the stuff i've sworn i'd never do, i've done. Co-sleeping, letting him cry (when it's 3am and you're desperate for sleep... we don't CIO per se, but sometimes after a few minutes of crying he settles down to sleep faster, don't ask me why), jarred baby food, heck, even the epidural i got... i probably swore at one time i wouldn't do cloth diapers, too. Each decision i've made has been fraught with hand-wringing and agonizing, and i'm sure most of you go through the same thing when you make decisions for your kids. Which is why i don't see the point in criticizing other mamas for their decisions... it's not decisions any of us take lightly, so it's kind of... i don't know... arrogant? to assume otherwise. I guess that's why seeing people attacked for their parenting decisions peeves me so much, it's not just that they are disagreeing with you, it's that undercurrent that you must be some poor ignorant FOOL that doesn't know the benefits of ______ and therefore you must be EDJUMUHCATED and then you'll come around.

I don't mind hearing people talk about how they're raising their kids and why they do what they do. I think i gave the impression that i don't want to hear about that and i didn't mean to... i do like hearing the whys and whens of parenting decisions, it makes me think about my own decisions and consider things differently. What I don't have time or energy for is the arguing and backbiting that goes on in other places about parenting. Especially when that time could be spent on other things. Like diapers.

Marinara... sounds great. Can't wait until D's 1 year and then we can actually feed him TOMATOES finally (we have him on the delayed diet b/c of allergy reasons).
I'm Megan, Rob is my husband, Draven is my boy, born 3/14/08. Expecting #2 in early March. Where have all the BSRBs gone?
starla79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #314
westlysbride
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by idefix View Post
I was against it with my first son and regret not sticking up harder towards DH, but since he has seen circ'ed area once, he was completely on board this time. In Europe it's not a common thing to do at all. My OB&GYN looked at me funny when we told her no on circ with Fynn: so you'll have one with and one without? Hey, why not?

He drank 2 ounces.

I have to completely vanish and not say a peep. If he hears me it's over. I don't think, I have seen the breastflow nipples. I tried a new one from Nuby. It has a special nipple close to breast, but he didn't take to it at all. He wouldn't even take sip. We tried Adiri and who know what else. I have a great bottle and nipple collection. Latex nipple it is and wide neck only. He did not like the one for the narrow neck. DH had to switch bottles.
I second the breastflow. Although, my midwife told me that a lot of babies will eat less during the day and make up for it at night - some babies just like the boobies...
westlysbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #315
idefix
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by westlysbride View Post
My favorite jarred is actually the sauce from Aldi. I'm sure it is very unhealthy but I love it. And for .99 you can't go wrong.
I lurv Aldi. I used to go once a week in Germany but there isn't one close to us here.

The closest to homemade to use for tomato sauce is made by Pomi.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #316
westlysbride
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I lurv Aldi. I used to go once a week in Germany but there isn't one close to us here.

The closest to homemade to use for tomato sauce is made by Pomi.
It seems they have been improving the quality. I swear that their ice cream sandwiches are as good as Blue Bunny... yum yum!
westlysbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #317
idefix
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I second the breastflow. Although, my midwife told me that a lot of babies will eat less during the day and make up for it at night - some babies just like the boobies...
Oh no no no, I need my sleep. He just has to find the nipple himself then while all cuddled next to me at night.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #318
starla79
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

He drank 2 ounces.

When we were in the hospital i swear every 5 minutes someone was asking us if D was to be circ'd... my OB/GYN asked and we were like NO! and he was like, "Good, it's one less thing for me to do." Practical man, there.

The breastflow nipples are the weird double ones, it's like a purple inner and a clear silicone outer. It really worked good for D, it mimics the breast more than other bottles and i think helped keep him from having bottle preference issues. We also still have him on the slowest flow nipples we can buy. I'm sure it helps keep him liking the boob, since it's like drinking from a firehose compared to the bottle. I have heard latex is more natural feeling to the baby (softer and more flexible) but i wouldn't risk it with D, he's got enough allergy issues as it is and i'm allergic to latex. I'm with you on the bottle/nipple collection... once i caught on that D likes shorter nipples we were good. And like i said, daycare is so *different* from home, odds are he'll be so distracted that he won't fight having a bottle at all. It's harder on you than it is on him, trust me.
I'm Megan, Rob is my husband, Draven is my boy, born 3/14/08. Expecting #2 in early March. Where have all the BSRBs gone?
starla79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #319
mommy2roo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

? WWYD were having problems with DD's sleeping. this is our 2 yr old. She is typically up about 7:00am and will nap for 2-3 hours in the afternoon. usually her bedtime is at 8:30... but for the past 3 days she is fighting it... she is wide awake now and it is 10:15...

If I don't give her a nap she is aweful and crabby by dinner time. Should I wake her after an hour or so of nap?

or should we just not give her one?

we've spent 2 hours now working on "bedtime"
Old 02-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #320
idefix
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
It seems they have been improving the quality. I swear that their ice cream sandwiches are as good as Blue Bunny... yum yum!
I wouldn't know. I haven't been to an Aldi in the States yet. They do have some awesome totally taste competitive products for the German market. I heard a lot of them here are in bad neighborhoods.