Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #11
ladybenz
following my heart to the art

My Mood:
Re: Just Can't Get Enough --of Wool -- Saturday

Okay dev, here's a picture of a completed gusset, where I picked up my stitches from just below the edge--it's not as invisible as some other ways of doing it, but I've had better luck with closing off any holes this way.

My kitchener graft is the blue stitches right by my thumb. The new stitches I picked up along the side are in orange--as you can see, I picked up six stitches along the side.

Does that help?

Advertisement

ladybenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #12
devholan
knit wit
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieSqrl View Post
You're going to pull the working yarn through the very edge/side of the gusset - one stitch at a time. Just draw the yarn through stitches at the very edge to form new stitches, and place each new stitch on your circs.

You can do more stitches than 4, but if you're doing the regular 4 stitches in the pattern, you'll form 2 new stitches on each gusset area (2 on the front and 2 on the back).
This is what I'm trying to understand. Because the 12" circ for the legs intersects w/ the stitch holder from the gusset. I know I don't double-back parallel to the leg circ and now I know I don't pick up parallel to the gusset. So I'm having trouble figuring out where there are 3 stitches in each area to pick up so that I can add a bit more than an inch to my thighs. (I get 4.5 spi)

Come see our new store at BLUE GRASS BABY
devholan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #13
devholan
knit wit
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybenz View Post
Okay dev, here's a picture of a completed gusset, where I picked up my stitches from just below the edge--it's not as invisible as some other ways of doing it, but I've had better luck with closing off any holes this way.

My kitchener graft is the blue stitches right by my thumb. The new stitches I picked up along the side are in orange--as you can see, I picked up six stitches along the side.

Does that help?

So you did pick up your stitches parallel to the gusset line? Or rather, if your gusset had been open, parallel to the stitch holders for the gussets?

Old 02-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #14
devholan
knit wit
seller

My Mood:

am I looking at the orange stitches right next to the blue kitcheners, or the other oranges perpendicular and slightly to the right of them in the pic?

Actually, Aimee. I like those colors. They're helpful. If they measure 17/17/9 I might need to see them up close and in person to understand.

OK, off to walk a dog and I'll be back in a minute. Thanks for all the help y'all!

Last edited by devholan; 02-21-2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #15
ladybenz

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devholan View Post
This is what I'm trying to understand. Because the 12" circ for the legs intersects w/ the stitch holder from the gusset. I know I don't double-back parallel to the leg circ and now I know I don't pick up parallel to the gusset. So I'm having trouble figuring out where there are 3 stitches in each area to pick up so that I can add a bit more than an inch to my thighs. (I get 4.5 spi)
Okay, so imagine the gusset in my photo isn't closed. That line of blue stitches isn't there. I have the green stitches and the purple stitches on stitch holders. I pick up stitches along the sides of the gusset, and just work along, closing up the circle of the leg, ignoring my stitch holders completely, as if the gusset were already closed up.

Does that help?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #16
ladybenz

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devholan View Post
am I looking at the orange stitches right next to the blue kitcheners, or the other oranges perpendicular and slightly to the right of them in the pic?
The orange stitches that make like the top of the letter "T" with the blue kitcheners being the stem of the letter T
Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #17
ladybenz

My Mood:

Here's another way of thinking about it--don't think of this as having anything to do with the gusset. Think of it as being the leg. You've got most of a circle where the two ends just don't connect... you need to pick up the stitches to close the circle.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #18
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

If you don't mind, I'll ask another question semi-related to what Dev is asking.

I've seen mention of pulling stitches tight to not get gaping at the gusset. Ok, great -- but WHICH stitches, and exactly when? I've been pulling the increase stitches and those on either side of them tight in the gusset, but that is giving me tiny gusset stitches, which isn't all that aesthetically pleasing and certainly isn't how they look in the lovely mama knit longies that live with us..

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #19
iheartruiner
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Morning girlies. I'm going out for lunch, but Ed has to work tonight so I'll be around a bit this afternoon/tonight.

I actually just took a pic a few days ago of a gusset to show someone the way I pick up stitches...

This is sheepy pants, but usually you pick up stitches the same way with anything.

GalleryBlogFan Page!
iheartruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #20
devholan
knit wit
seller

My Mood:

It's sinking in. But, I still don't quite see on mine where to insert the needle to pick up the stitches:

b/c the stitches for the legs and the stitches for the gusset intersect, right? So if I were to take my 12" circs and knit in the round, I don't quite get if I'm trying to work in the very corner where my red stitches running vertically and my red stitches running horizontally (from the gusset) meet?

(sorry I've turned this into the gusset thread today)