Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #11
mom23boys
Registered Users
seller

Re: Half or Full Day Kindergarten??

I would say depends on your kids. . . my kids have been in daycare most of their lives so 1/2 day kindergarten seems anti-climatic after doing full day pre-school at daycare.

But if they're typically developing, 1/2 day should be sufficient. There's just so much pressure on teachers with the testing they're held accountable for that many turn Kindergarten into an academic year where kids have to know how to read, add etc. as opposed to when kindergarten was viewed as a building blocks year for the rest of the academic career of a child.

Advertisement

mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
sapphire6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that it would depend on the child. My first 4 kids were very clingy so they never went to Pre K because I felt they weren't socially ready. Half day K was great for them as a stepping stone before full days of school.
Dd at 4 years old is very social and eager to go to school so we decided she should go to Pre K. Pre K is only half day and she isn't at all tired (I have to stop her from running too far ahead on the way home ), so we feel she will be ready to go to full day K.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
davinciite
Registered Users

Thanks for all the input. I was leaning toward half day and I think that's what we'll go with. I wish there was something in between.
davinciite is offline   Reply With Quote