Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Does my 2 year 0ld Have Nightmares? Help!

My 22 month old son was always a great sleeper. He has had no sleep "issues"- doesn't need us to rock him to sleep, etc. He sleeps in his own bed, which he actually prefers to co-sleeping. But, for the last few months he has been waking up throughout the night (3 or 4 times) screaming as if scared or startled. If we wait to go in (a few minutes) he does not settle on his own and only sounds more frightened. When we do go in we just have to lay him back down- he is often still "asleep" even though he is crying./screaming.

Does this sound like nightmares or night-terrors? What can we do to help him or eliminate them? Anything in his diet?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mom to Bump (6), Bud (4), and Dan Dan (1).
ttachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Does my 2 year 0ld Have Nightmares? Help!

My son had them due to a milk sensitivity. Did you change anything in his diet around the time of the episodes?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Reuben Christopher
Registered Users
Formerly: unbreakableangel
My Mood:

My ds had this problem several months ago as well. He would start to scream and cry like he was terrified but he was still asleep! I would get him out of bed and try to get him to wake up (this usually took a good 5 minutes to actually get him to wake up and realize where he was) to make sure he was ok. He would finally open his eyes and just look scared or sad. I would snuggle him for a while until he seemed to be calm and over it then we would put him back in bed. The trigger we noticed for him was if anything had changed. At the time we lived in one bedroom at the inlaws (all 3 of us) and the room was normally a disaster area. Well one day I cleaned it up completely, put everything away and did all the laundry )it looked like a different room). That night he had a screaming while sleeping fit. Another time dh had been gone for a week (for work) the day he got back ds had another one that night. My sister told me my neice had the same issue whenever anything was changed around her. I hope you can get it figured out. Poor baby. And poor mama too! It always scared me and made me so sad that he would seem so terrified and I didn't know of what
The Tiny Panda
like us on facebook! We make Dragons, Woolies, Hats, Cocoons, Gnomes & More!
Wahm Wares Page
Reuben Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

My DD had them when she was teething. Anytime a new tooth was coming in she would just be screaming in her sleep...nothing to send you to their door so fast. I figure they were more like night terrors since she was still asleep. What I read is to try not to hold them down nessicarily (although that made my DD feel a little more secure I rocked her though). Lay down with them in there bed and rub there back. Let them know you are there (but don't say things like it's alright 'cause in there minds it's NOT). I would just say "shhh mama's here" over and over and try humming a soft tune.
Not sure what it could be related to for him. Hope you get it figured out soon it's so terrifying for mom too
Christy mommy to Alexia 12/27/06 AndLillian 7/10/09
Angel3167 is offline   Reply With Quote