Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
MSweeten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Have I created a monster?

DS is just now 8 months. Since 2 months he has been on/off again sleep through the night. I've been working very hard the last 2 weeks to get him into a nap routine...and we did it! He has been napping 2-3 times a day and getting 3-4 hours of sleep. But now he is waking 2-4 times a night and wanting cuddled, fed, etc. Any thoughts. He does use a binky. He is very healthy and is teething a little.

Thanks

Advertisement

MSweeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:25 AM   #2
e and d
Registered Users
seller

Re: Have I created a monster?

You sound like you are on the right track! For us, getting the nap schedule down was key to getting him to STTN. (Although I consider you lucky -- my son didn't STTN until 13 months!)

I'm not exactly sure of your question. Are you asking how to stop the night wakings?
e and d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
MSweeten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. Yes I am looking for help to get him back to sleep through the night or at least 6-8 hrs
Old 01-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
A'smommy
Registered Users

With my DD I just got up when she sounded like she really wasn't going back to sleep. I didn't keep track of how often, how long, etc. because I'm a SAHM and I could sleep when she napped. If you're working for a paycheck that might not work for you.

One thing I did do was turn the baby monitor off. My hearing was good enough that I could hear her when she cried, and eventually I slept thru the little sleepy wah-wahs and woke up for the loud urgent cries. It's still hooked up ready to go but I only turn it on when I wake up and I'm not sure if she's crying (we moved and the MBed is on the other side of the house now).

Getting up in the night when she cried (which seemed like five zillion trips when she was teething) did not create a monster for us. She sleeps through 99.9% of the time now (21 mos).

GL!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
e_mom_e
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hey there....glad the naps worked out! Have you tried leaving him alone? if so will he go to sleep on his own...usually if I just let him be ds will go back to sleep after startling awake. he started doing that about 7-8 months, but he still sleeps all night if I leave him alone. a few times he has woke up and wouldn't go back to sleep no matter what we did, so the next time we just let him fuss for a bit, kept giving him a paci but left him in the crib. after that he doesn't wake up anymore...just shuffles around a bit sometimes.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 AM   #6
MSweeten
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have just given him the paci and he went back to sleep... but otherwise he cries & cries.....even when I'm holding him. I almost wish I wasn't bf, after being up for an hour and seeing no light at the tunnel, sometimes it's just easier to feed him.... I know I'm not supposed too... but I get SOOOO tired. Last night was bad, woke up at 1....I gave back his paci, tried rocking him, tried a bottle of water, finally just bf him about 5 min. By 3 he was up again, gave back paci, let him fuss for 20 min, rocked him for 25 min, finally gave up fed him a little, laid him down & he was up. So I bf him a little more. He finally went to sleep and stayed asleep until 8 am. He's over his cold, doesn't seem to be teething too bad. I've been keeping him up as long as possible...trying to cut back on that third nap.

I feel like this is all my fault and I should know what to do. It's so hard for me to hear him cry. The monitor is turned off, but he is in the room right next to ours. My only other option is his pack n play downstairs..... but just the thought of leaving him downstairs by himself crying makes me feel like a monster myself. Anyway. Somehow we will get this fixed. But it sure seems bleak at 3 am.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
ce&E
Registered Users

I don't think you've created a monster, your baby is still that a baby and you are meeting his needs. I don't think it is bad to nurse your crying baby if that is what gets him(and you) back to sleep quickly and easily. You can always practice different ways to get him back to sleep during the day when you are not so tired yourself. Sleep begets sleep so getting his naps working is a great first step, maybe he's not quite ready to give up that 3rd nap yet? The No Cry Sleep Solution has lots of suggestions on helping your baby sleep through the night so you might want to read it for ideas. It helps a little to remember that this will pass and your baby will learn to sleep all night.
I feel the need to qualify all of what I am saying with the fact that my 14 month old ds does not sleep through the night yet but he is doing tons better and I don't mind nursing him and bringing him to bed with us at 3 or 4am when he wakes up, for the rest of the night if that is what gets us all the most sleep.