Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How to fatten up my breastmilk

Is there any way to fatten up breastmilk? Is there a diet I should be eating or something?
Oh, if this has been discussed, would you kindly point me to the thread, thanks!

Advertisement

starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
~Ryleigh's_Momma~
Banned

My Mood:
Re: How to fatten up my breastmilk

There is a mom who I know well, who is a naturopath as well as a doula; she is a vegetarian and her baby was not gaining weight no matter how much she nursed the babe (as in, you could see all his ribs he was so skinny). After a few days of keeping a food diary, she evaluated it and realized she was getting almost no fat at all in her diet. She started eating lots of nuts and fish and other oily foods, as well as an herb (marshmallow root? that doesn't sound right...) And baby started gaining weight again.

Sorry for the incomplete info, but I just wanted to let you know that I've seen this situation and that there are ways to fatten up your milk.

Also, have you tried "double nursing"? Meaning, you nurse on one breast twice in a row, to make sure the baby is getting all of the fatty hindmilk before moving on to the next breast. A lot of times we will see babies failing to thrive because the mom is switching breasts in the middle of a feeding after some arbitrary time limit she has been told. It is not necessary to switch breasts in the middle of a feeding, and doing so risks the baby only getting the foremilk from each breast. CERTAINLY offer the second breast during a feeding if baby seems "done" with the first breast and is still hungry though.
~Ryleigh's_Momma~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you! I am nursing twins and I assign each their own side for the most part but both get each side at least a couple times a day. When I nurse, I let them nurse for as long as they want and when I notice the sucking slowing down, I unlatch, burp them and then latch them back on the same breast. I don't switch sides. So by doing this, I know they are getting the fatty hind milk but I wonder how much they are getting or how fatty it is. I do let them nurse for as long as they want the second time too unless they are getting lazy and their latch isn't as good and it starts to hurt then I take them off. I just feel if they were getting more fatty hind milk and it was more fatty, if that makes sense, they would be more content. I will take a look at my diet and see what I can change. I do have ground flax seed that I am going to add to my yogurt and other things to get that good omega stuff! I don't particularly like fish but I will start to eat it more so I get the good fat to help my babies out more.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
~Ryleigh's_Momma~
Banned

My Mood:

oh sorry! I didn't even read your siggy to see that you had twins! Good luck with figuring things out. It might even be worth it to contact a registered dietitian to help you evaluate your current intake and things that could help increase. (and look into the marshmallow root, if that's what I am remembering right)
~Ryleigh's_Momma~ is offline   Reply With Quote