Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
jdsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Flying???

I will be flying to Cali in June with DS who will be 6 months.. I will be doing it solo as DH isnt going and JD will be on my lap for the flight....any advice?

Advertisement

jdsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Re: Flying???

i found a sling/pouch very helpful while traveling with dd. most airline personnel are pretty helpful, but be sure to ask for extra help if you need it. try to check as much baggage as you can - no need to schlep extra things through the airport along with your dc. at 6 months, dd was pretty easy to entertain, but bring along some of his favorite little toys. i was b****** so food was not an issue. and then i used a carry-on sized bag instead of a diaperbag and put all of her diapers, change of clothes, toys, etc. in there.

good luck!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I have flown lots of times internationally... sling/pouch is very helpful... boobs if you BF LOL a few toys, etc to play w/& look at. I dunno if you're doing solids yet but if you tell the airline you need a baby meal they will provide the baby food free.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #4
jdsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the advice ladies! I guess i better get a pouch of some kind then... and we just started solids, what kind of baby meals? like actual stage one foods?? might be hard spoonfeeding him when he is on my lap though,,, lol, that could be bad for everyone involved.. LOL.
jdsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Carrie
Registered Users

We flew with twins at 7 months. One on each of our laps. We didn't do solids during the flight which was about 3.5 hours. They slept most of the time and also breastfed during the flight. The plane is very soothing to them at that age unless they have ear problems. Letting baby nurse or suck on something during take off and landing is recommended for that.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I would skip feeding at all on the plane- at that age in that situation it might be more trouble that it is worth. I definitely second the pouch idea, or maybe even a sling with a long tail to cover him up from sun wind cold or when he is nursing. Oh yeah, nurse during takeoff, landing, and whenever he needs comfort. I have travaled lots with my boys and I have found that age to be really enjoyable to travel with! Have fun!
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
janelyb
Registered Users

My Mood:

definately check mostly everything....except a few things in a small diaper bag. I would only bring 1 or 2 small toys.....if you are also bringing a stroller and a carseat you can gate check them, but remember you'll have to put them through security (fold up stroller)....I'd say if you don't need it then don't bring it. The sling is very helpful but they made me take my baby out of the sling going through security....

So pack most of your things in your checked bag (even diapers), just have what you need for 1 day in your diaper bag....always have your photo ID handy too.....using a backpack as a diaper/carry on bag has been the easiest for me.

Have fun and good luck!
Janel, mamma to: Tyler (6/03) and Isabella (6/95),ttc #3
janelyb is offline   Reply With Quote